Chapter seventeen

By 6:30 I was ready and downstairs. Just waiting for the Andrews family to arrive. I waited anxiously. The whole house smelled amazing. The fire was going and the candles on the tree was lit up and beautiful. A light snow had started to fall outside.
"Well don't you look beautiful" I turn to see Sam in dress pants, a fresh shirt and a black vest. His dark curly hair smoothed over and neat.
"Don't you look handsome" I smile and walk to him.
"Thank you Miss.Gray" he said
"You're welcome Mr.Gray" I chuckle.
"You ready?" He asked seeing I was a bit anxious.
"I'm ready" I say smiling and nodding. "But also nervous. I haven't had dinner with the Andrews before"
"You'll do great" he reassured me.
"Thanks Sam. I think-" I was interrupted by a knock on the door. I start to rush to the door but I slow down and brush off my skirt before taking a deep breath and walking calmly to the door. I hear Sam chuckle at my actions. I glance at him before opening the door. Jane was right up front and she practically tackled me with a hug.
"Merry Christmas!" She said happily as we hugged.
"Marry Christmas Jane" I smile.
We pull away and the rest of the family walks inside. Billy was the last one in. He smiled at me and I smiled back.
"Welcome" I say. "Hang up your coats and make yourselves at home" I say.
"Thank you Miss.Jessie" Mrs.Andrews smiles.
"Jessie!" My mother called to me.
"Coming!" I rush to the kitchen where she was. "Yes?"
"Are they here?" She asked.
I nodded.
"Alright. I think everything is ready and plated" she said.
I look around the kitchen counter and everything was indeed plated and ready to go.
"It all looks amazing Mother" I kiss her cheek.
"Ida do you need any help?" Mrs.Andrews walks into the kitchen.
"If you could help me take the food to the table that would be wonderful" she said.
I rush out of the kitchen so I didn't get in the way.
Jane rushed to me. "Why do you always look so much more beautiful than me" she said looking down at my dress.
"Jane! Stop it. You look beautiful too"
"I look ok. But you look pretty in every color" she said.
"You do look beautiful" Billy said. I look over Jane's shoulder. He was smiling at me from where he was standing. My cheeks blush lightly. He was dressed so handsome. Dress pants with a dress shirt and a vest. Along with a bow tie.
"Thank you Billy" I say. "You don't look too bad yourself."
Prissy clears her throat. I walk over to her. "And of course the most beautiful of us three girls" I said. "You look beautiful too Prissy"
"Thank you" she giggled.
I look around and wonder where Mr.Andrews went. Then I hear him chuckling with my father in his study. I hear Samual's voice too. So I'm guessing they where all talking about something together.
"What's for dinner?" Jane asked.
"I guess you'll have to see" I say smiling. All of a sudden I remember Jane's gift and I get very excited. I didn't know if I should give it to her now or tomorrow.
"I bet whatever it is, it's delicious" Jane said.
"Dinner is ready everyone!" My mother shouts.
"You are about to find out" I say to Jane and we all rush to the table. I sit down on the side of the table we had four chairs. On the other long side was three chairs. And one chair on each head of the table. The fathers sat on the heads of the table and the mothers sat next to each other on the three chair side. Samual sat in the other chair. Jane sat near her father near the head of the table with me on her right side. Billy sits next to me quickly then Prissy sits down next to Billy and near my father. Once we are all seated, my father said grace before we all served ourselves. Everyone began to chat as we ate. I serve myself a piece of ham, some potatoes and veggies along with a roll. I see there was cranberries also.
"Can you pass the salt and pepper?" Billy asked.
I nod and hand them to him. I pour some gravy on my mashed potatoes before I pick up my fork and knife. I wasn't too worried about eating lady like, but both Prissy and Jane where eating very daintily. I ate in a nice way. Not like an animal but not like Prissy and Jane. I wasn't getting any bad looks so I assumed I was ok.
"The food is very good" Jane smiled
"Thank you" I say.
"Did you make most of it?" Jane asked.
"I made the rolls, the potatoes and I helped with the ham" I explain.
"It's all very good" Billy said.
I smile at him before I eat a cooked carrot.
I feel something tap my foot on Billy's side of me and I glance at him. He was eating and a thing like nothing was happening. I go back o eating but something tapped my foot again. I pretended nothing was happening and I tap his foot with mine acting normal. He taps my foot again but I slide it out of his reach. He glanced at me and I glanced back. I take a sip of water before I take a bite of the ham that I cut. He moved his hand to his lap and slides it to my knee. He pokes my knee before his hand goes back to his lap. I move my foot back and tap his foot again.
"You're being quiet" Jane said.
I look over at her. "Just hungry I guess" I chuckled.
"Well what should we talk about?"
"Whatever you want to talk about" I say.
"Your house is beautifully decorated" She said looking around the dining room.
"Thank you. It's one of my favorite things to do. Decorate for Christmas"
"Well is we you have a knack for it" Jane smiled.
We continued to eat. As I do, I keep getting tapped on my foot. I look over at Billy and give him a look asking him 'What?'
He just smiled and goes back to eating. He's trying to annoy me. I can tell. I won't let him. But also he's cute when he ties to bug me. I knew I couldn't let him. Me and Jane go back to talking about Christmas and baking.