Chapter twenty

Dancing with Billy was the best feeling I had. We danced many dances together. I didn't even notice my feet getting tired. It was like the whole world disappeared when we danced together. We would sometimes talk when we would dance but barely. We mostly just enjoyed each other's company. After a waltz we both leave the dance floor and I take his arm. We walk to the refreshments room and he gets me a cup of punch. I slowly sip it and Billy sips his also.
"You are a wonderful dancer" I say to Billy.
"Thank you. Mother insisted we took dance lessons for parties like these"
"I see" I smile.
"You dance very well also" he said.
"Thank you" I smile.
We put our glasses down before we walk around the party together, my hand hooked on his arm. He introduced me to his extended family. He introduced me like I was his. As if we where together. He told them about me. About how I made Jane's dress and how I showed up to school one day in pants which his family found hilarious. It was as if I was apart of the family already.
I even herd his aunt whisper "Keep this one" to him but I pretended not to listen.
His cheeks heat up and he rushed us both away. As we walked Jane walks up to me.
"Billy do you mind if I take Jessie from you?" She asked.
"Not at all" he said.
I step away from him and he kisses my hand again. "Until we meet again ma'lady" he chuckled.
"Indeed" I smile. He walks away from us and I turn to Jane. I squealed happily. "Did you see that?!" I say in a hushed tone. "We danced for at least an hour and he kissed my hand twice and he showed me off to your family" I say happily.
"I saw it all" Jane giggles.
The two of us eat baked goods as we talk. We both sit down.
"Oh ow" I say
"What?" She asked worried
"My feet hurt a lot" I giggle "I didn't even notice" I smile.
"Too busy focusing on other things" Jane said. I nodded and I take a bite of my danish.
"Don't look now" Jane said. I look up at her. "But someone's dancing with your man"
I look at the dance floor to see Josie and Billy dancing together. I grow sad until I see Billy's face. He wasn't enjoying it. And Josie seemed to be clumsy in purpose. As if to lean more into him. He definitely wasn't enjoying it. He makes eye contact with me and I look away to Jane.
"He's not enjoying it" I say.
Jane looks over and back at me. "He definitely isn't. Watch him rush back here after the dance and sit with us"
"I wouldn't mind" I giggle.
"Oh I know" Jane smiled.

Indeed Jane was right. Right after the dance, Billy rushed to my side and he sits with me on the couch.
"My feet ache" he said looking over at me. He steals a chunk of the last part of my danish.
"Mine do too" I say.
"You two danced a lot" Jane said.
"Time flies by when you are having fun" Billy said.
"Definitely" I smile at him.
"I think I'll go say hello to the others" Jane said getting up and walking away.
I finished my danish and crumble the napkin.
"How was Josie?" I ask.
"She was ok..." he mumbled. "She wouldn't stop 'tripping' so she could lean on me. It was annoying mainly because it threw me off." He said. "She also talked about you"
"What did she say?" I ask. I didn't care but I wanted to know.
"She said she couldn't believe how awful you looked"
My heart sinks. "Awful huh" I look at my hands.
"Only she thinks so!" he said. "You look....amazing tonight Jessie. Really"
I look back up at him.
"You look so mature and so much older than me" he said.
"Thank you Billy" I say. "I appreciate that"
"Anyway lesson learned. I'm not dancing with her again tonight" he added.
"Yeah" I giggle.
For the rest of the night, I hung out with Jane, Prissy and Billy. We danced, we ate, we talked. It was an amazing night. Once midnight was close, we all gathered around a clock above the fire place to count down the rest of the year. Me and the siblings wait as everyone counted down.
"3....2...1! HAPPY NEW YEAR!" We all shout. Jane and I hug. When we pull away I get surprised by Billy kissing my cheek. I didn't plan on kissing him. He just blushed and I held my cheek. I giggle and celebrate with the rest of the party. Around one o'clock everyone was gone and it was time for me to leave also. I walk to the door and the maid brings my things.
"The party was amazing guys" I smile at the siblings. We where all tired and worn out from the night.
"Thanks for coming Jess" Jane hugs me and I hug back.
"Bye guys" I wave to them. They wave back. I smile at the three of them before putting in my hat and leaving. I couldn't help but hum happily as I walked home by moonlight.

Once I arrive home, I only see a light on in the living room. I wondered who it could be. It probably wasn't my father. He likes to get to bed early. It might be mother or Samual. I walk up to the door and walk inside. Once I'm in I untie my boots and take them off.
"Oh my word" I say as my sore feet where screaming in pain.
"You ok?" Samual walks to me.
"So you are the lucky one to wait up for me" I look up at him and stand. I take off my jacket and hat, hanging them up.
"I told mama she could go to bed at midnight and I could stay up. It took a lot of convincing but she's in bed" he smiled.
"Alright" I say.
We walk up the stairs and into my room. Sam to his. I change into my night stuff and I brush my hair out. It was wavy from the braided updo. I wash off my makeup before I go to my bed and sit down. There was a knock.
"Come in" I say.
Samual walks inside in his pajamas. He walks to the bed and sits down. I get under my covers.
"So wanna tell me about the party?" He asked.
"Do you really wanna hear about it?" I ask.
He nodded eagerly.
I begin telling him about the night. About Josie greeting me, Jane defending me, Billy first laying his eyes on me. "Then we danced for maybe an hour. Song after song after song" I smile. "It was so much fun. We made great partners!" I told him about Billy introducing me to his family. "He showed me off, as if I was his" I say dreamily. "His aunt even said 'keep this one' to him" I giggle then I tell him about me going to sit with Jane so we could talk, then seeing Josie and Billy dancing together. I told him about Billy telling me about how he didn't enjoy it. "I didn't even care about Josie tonight. All that mattered was my best friend and Billy" I smile.
"I'm proud of you. I'm also happy you had an amazing night" he kisses my temple again and gets up.
"I should get to bed."
"Night" I smile and lay down.
He pulls the covers to my neck and kisses my head again "goodnight, ma'lady" he chuckled and blows out my lamp before leaving my room and going to his for the night.