Chapter four

Once we arrived home I walked up to my room to change into another dress for dinner. I change into a simple dark great dress and I slip off my shoes. I go to my vanity and move my braid to my shoulder to take off my purple ribbon. But it was gone.
"Really?" I sigh.
"What wrong?" I look over to my mother who walks into my room. She must have been walking by.
"I must not have tied my lavender ribbon tight enough on my hair. It must have fallen off." I say.
"It's no worries, I know you and I have plenty of ribbon to spare" she smiled.
"I know. It was one of my favorite ribbons. It matched my dress perfectly. I'll probably stop by your shop on Monday morning before school to get another. If that's alright"
"Of course. You can walk with me" she said.
"Alright" I smile.
"Dinner should be ready soon" she kisses my head and leaves .
"Alright" I go to my bed and back to my book.

Sunday we went to church for the first time since we moved and it was lovely. Monday came quickly after. Once I woke up, I get dressed for the day before I rush downstairs where my mother was dressed and waiting.
"Ready to go?" She asked.
I nod.  Mother and I leave the house to head to town. Through the walk we chat softly. I wasn't much of a talker so mother mostly told me about some of the women who work with her. Some where young, and some where much older with so much experience.
"Then there is Mary. She is one of the younger girls who have also recently was hired. She is very good at embroidery." She says as she walks up to the shop. I look in the windows at the dresses on display. They where all beautiful. I could tell the maker out a lot of work into them.
"Jessie come on" My mother smiled at me, gesturing for me to come to the door.
I rush to the door and mother walks in first. I follow her looking around the shop as we walk in.
"Ida, good morning!" A woman walks to mother. She looked around the same age as my mother. "Who is this?" She asked looking at me. She had black hair and she wore a blue dress with an apron.
"This is my daughter" She steps a side a little for me.
"I'm Jessie" I hold out my hand and I shake the woman's hand.
"It's wonderful to meet you. I'm Annie" she introduced herself. We pull our hands away. "Can I help you with something?" Annie asked.
"Yes actually, I'm looking for lavender ribbon" I say.
"Right this way" Annie walks to the spools of ribbon. "What kind of lavender and what will you use it for?" She asked
"It sounds silly but a hair ribbon. I had one for one of my favorite dresses but I lost it"
"Of course." She said and shows me all the lavender ribbons. I find one that was the right width and color for my dress. She cuts me about five inches of it.
"Thank you" I smile. I walk to the register and take out my coin purse. "How much?" I asked the girl.
"For Ida's daughter, nothing" the woman said. "I'm Rose, I've herd so much about you"
"Are you sure? I have money" I say.
"I'm sure." She smiled.
"Thank you" I say. I put the ribbon in my coin purse with the coins. I put the purse into my messenger bag. "I'm going to school mama" I call out.
Mother rushed to me and kisses my head. "Have a good day" she said.
"I will" I head to the door. As I do I see some hanker chiefs. They where very pretty with flowers embroidered on them. I turn to mother.
"Did Mary make these?" I ask her.
My mother turns to me and nodded. "Aren't they beautiful?" She asked.
"They are!" I walk to her with a yellow one in my hand. "Is she here now? I have a request"
"No she doesn't come in until later hun" Rose said.
"Can someone ask her to embroider 'Jane A' on this one? With the sunflowers" I ask.
"Of course sweetie" Rose takes the handkerchief.
"I'll be back after school to pick it up" I rush away.
"Who's gonna-" Rose said, my mother interrupting her.
"I can pay for it" my mother said.
I leave the shop and rush to school hoping I wouldn't be late. I didn't think I would be, but I knew Mr.Philips would tell me if I was.

I make it to the school house and rush inside. I hang up my things before rushing inside and to the girls.
"Jessie there you are" Diana said.
"Sorry I had to make a stop before I got here" I say a little out of breath.
"It's good you are here on time. I don't want to see what would happen if you where late but your brother was here before you" Anne said.
"Yeah" I chuckled.
"Where did you have to go?" Jane asked.
"Oh I wanted to stop by the tailor shop where my mother worked. Just to say hi and meet people" I say.
"Take a seat everyone!" Mr.Philips comes out from the back room.
"I also lost one of my favorite hair ribbons so I wanted a new one. So I got one"
"Show me at lunch!" Jane said rushing off to her seat.
I walk to mine and sit down, taking out my stuff. I hum happily as I get ready for the day.

After school Jane meets up with me at the entry way. "You ready to go?" Jane asked.
"I think I'll walk home alone today. I want to stop back at my moms shop" I say.
"I can come!" Jane smiles. "Please?"
"I don't think you'll want to stop by a dress shop full of the most beautiful fabrics, thread and ribbons" I smirk lightly.
"Duh I do!" Jane laughs. I laugh with her.
"Alright let's go!" I say and we head out of the schoolhouse.
"What was all the noise about?" Billy shows up behind us as we walked.
"Jessie is taking me to a dress shop in town! Where her mom works" Jane said excitedly.
"Do you wanna join us?" I ask.
Jane elbows me. Billy chuckled. "No thanks"
"Are you sure? I think yellow would be a lovely color on you" I say.
Billy rolls his eyes.
"Oh come on Billy, too embarrassed to be seen in a dress shop?" I tease.
"No!" He huffed "Fine I'll come! But only because I want to get some candy"
I look at Jane and smirk. She sighs and the three of us kept walking to town.

Once we arrive I open the door for the siblings to walk inside. Jane thanks me but Billy just walks past. I walk in after them and get in front. Jane gasps lightly and stayed to explore the shop.
"Jessie hello again!" Rose said who was putting away new thread.
I rush to her. "You have it?" I ask.
"Yup, Mary did it right when she clocked in." She said handing me a parchment paper package.
"Thank you" I smile. I turn and rush to Jane who was looking at ribbons.
"What one did you get?" She asked.
"That one" I point to the lavender ribbon.
"Oh it's like the one you wore to the picnic"
"Yeah, I lost that one through so my mom took me here to get a new one this morning" I explain. "I also got this" I hold out the package to her. "Open it"
She smiled and does. She takes out the handkerchief and her eyes widen. She gasps again as she unfolds it, seeing her name.
"Jessie....I love it" she said.
"I saw it and I thought of your yellow dress. So I got it embroidered also"
She hugs me tight and we pull away.
"Thank you so much!"
"You are very welcome Best friend" I smile. I turn around and my eyes scan the store. "Where's Billy?" I ask.
"He probably went to the candy shop like he wanted to" she sighs.
"I've got an idea" I say.
I rush to the front desk. "Rose I need to borrow something quick" I say.
"What is it?" She asked
"Can I have some more ribbon?"
She sighs and hands me a pare of scissors. I rush back to the ribbons and pull out a long line of blue ribbon. I cut it and make sure it can wrap around my head. It did, with room to tie a bow.
"What are you up to Jess?" Jane asked.
"You'll see" I grab her hand and rush out of the store. "Tell my mom I'll meet her at home!" I call out to rose.
"You got it!" She called back.
I rush to the candy shop and I look in the window. Billy was looking into a glass case. I rush inside and sneak behind him. He hadn't seen me yet. I quickly come up behind him and wrap the ribbon around his head and tie a bow on the right side of his head. I can't help but giggle as he looks at me. I hear Jane laughing with me. He didn't snap at me, he just looks at the ribbon that was hanging down by his face.
"I thought you said yellow was my color" he said smirking lightly.
"Blue goes better what what you are wearing today" I say cheeky.
He takes the ribbon off of his head and shoved it at me.
"Hey! I payed good money for that" I giggle and put the ribbon around his neck, tying the bow in front of his neck as he watched he do it.
"It does look good on you" I say looking up at him. "Goes well with your eyes" I smirk and turn away. "I should head home" I smile.
"Alright, See you tomorrow" Jane said.
We hug and I rush out the door, I turn and go backwards out the door to see Billy's eyes watching me as I left. I flash him one last smirk as I leave the store. I turn to walk home, my cheeks heating up.