Chapter nineteen

I stayed at the Andrews place for a little while longe that day until I needed to get home for dinner. I gave Billy his scarf back and both Jane and Prissy gave me a gift. I got a silver bracelet from Jane. She had a matching one. Prissy gave me a fancy hair comb that had jewels on it. Soon enough me and Samual left for dinner. Christmas dinner was the left overs from the night before. We ended the evening eating cake and ice cream. It was the best Christmas ever. When I was in bed I had the brooch Billy gave me in my hands and I looked at it in the light of the lamp that was next to my bed. I admired it smiling and blushing as I did. I could feel my heart beat as I remembered the day and how grateful he was to me. My heart was growing more and more fond of him and I knew I had to tell him. I needed to be prepared for my heart to be broken.

New Year's Eve came quickly also. I spent most of the day getting ready for the party. I wanted to look perfect. I talked to Jane between Christmas to now and she said it was a very formal event. So I needed to be formal enough to fit in. I got dressed in a dark purple ball gown. I put my new brooch on the dress. Once I was dressed I sit down and take out my hair. I start to style it. When it was down it was too fluffy, when it was half up half down I looked too much like a child, a braid didn't fit the look.
I sigh in frustration "Mother!" I call out.
Soon my mother appeared in my room. "Yes?" She asked.
"Help with my hair" I look up at her.
"Really? Of course!" She said excitedly and started to do my hair in a formal braided updo. She left out pieces to frame my face. Once she was done she gets some of her makeup and does mine. Neatening my eyebrows, giving me some rouge on my cheeks along with some lipstick and mascara. I had never worn makeup before but my mother put on the perfect amount to the point where it enhances my features.
"There, beautiful" she smiled looking at my face in the mirror. I start to get nervous and my face started to show it. "Honey no need to be nervous. It's not like the love of your life is there and is judging you. Like a girl going to a ball to meet the prince"
She perfectly defined the reason why I was nervous. I look over at her. She registered what she said and the look I gave her.
"Wait...." she said. "He is there?"
I nodded.
"Someone you are in love with is there?!" She asked
I nodded again. "You remember the blonde boy who kept coming over? Jane's brother. The one I made the scarf for?"
Her eyes widen. "How could I not know that?! I just thought he tagged along with his sister!"
"Well I've been in love with him for...a while now" I say. "Since our first day of school here"
"Oh honey. Why didn't you say anything?" She asked
"I didn't want to yet. The only ones who knew was Samual and Jane"
"I see" she said. "Well his eyes won't be able to leave you" she looks in the mirror. "Is that a new brooch? That's not mine"
"It's mine" I say. "Billy gave it to me" I say touching it with my finger tips.
"He gave you that?" She gasped lightly. "Honey he's in love with you"
"Mama stop" I check the time and get up quickly. "I need to get going!"
"Alright sweetie" she hugs me and pulls away quickly. "You have fun. And don't come back too late but if you feel like you will be home later than usual, that's ok" she said. "This is your night to shine"
"Thanks mother" I rush out and she follows me. I walk down the stairs to see Samual and father waiting at the bottom. Samual's eyes widen and so does my fathers. I walk down the steps and get to the bottom.
"You look so grown up" Samual said getting a little emotional. He hugs me softly. "Are you sure I can't come?"
"Samual I don't need a chaperone" I said. "I told mother by the way" I add.
We pull away. "Alright. Good to know" he said. I walk to the door and put on my coat and put on a hat. I slip on my black boots with the heals and my white gloves.
"Alright. I'm off" I smile at my family. They say goodbye and I do too before I leave the house to walk to the Andrews.

Once I arrive I hear music from outside and I smile. I open the door and walk inside. A maid rushed to my side and takes my coat, hat and gloves.
"Thank you" I smile. She rushed off.
I look around and see some girls from school but mostly adults. The place was decorated lovely and the music was already making me happy.
"Jessie Gray is that you?" I turn to my right to see Josie. Of course she was here. My whole night was going to be miserable.
"Hello, Josie" I say. She wasn't even dressed up. She was dressed in just a normal dress she would wear to school.
"Hello" she said. She looks me up and down. I stood tall and confident. "You look, decedent"
"Josie Pye shush. She looks amazing" I look to see Jane to my left. I smile. Always there to defend me.
Josie sticks her nose in the air and rushed off.
"Jessie....wow" Jane said.
I turn to her and smile. She was wearing the dress I made her. I was honored.
"You look amazing too" I smile.
"Thanks to you" she said and she steps so we where both facing the house, arm in arm.
"Ready to party?" She asked. I nodded and looked around at all the people. As I got lost looking around Jane pokes my arm.
"Hm?" I look over at her. She points ahead of us and I follow her hand. Where she was pointing, was Billy. His eyes wide and his mouth slightly open. We make eye contact. I become surprised myself. He was in a full tuxedo. Mostly black except for the under shirt.  He looked more handsome then on Christmas Eve.
"He's infatuated with you" Jane whispered. She pulls her arm out and placed it on my back, pushing me gently to Billy. I start walking to him and I stop in front of him. I nod my head.
"Evening Mr.Andrews" I smile.
Billy takes my right hand and kisses my knuckles. "You look beautiful as always Miss.Gray"
My face heats up as he pulls away and looks up at me.
"Shall we dance?" He asked.
"We shall" I smile.
He offers his arm to me and I happily take it. And we walk to the main room where the dancing was and the music was. We both begin to dance together to the music with everyone else. It felt familiar, as if we had danced many times before. We only have once. As we dance I glance away from Billy to see Josie in the corner of the room, with a angry expression on her face. At the moment I didn't care about Josie. All I was focusing on was me and Billy.