Chapter two

After what happened at lunch I knew I couldn't talk about my thoughts out loud within the girl group. But maybe Jane. I already knew I liked her. She was sweet and she knew how to lock in a pinky promise. After I finish eating I go back to my seat. Once I'm seated, I take out a book from my bag. Shakespeare's Macbeth. I open to the page I last left off on and begin to read. I'm transported 11th-century Scotland. A small smile appears on my face as I read. I wasn't a few lines into the book when someone slams something on my desk. I look up to see Billy, standing over me with a hand on my desk.
"Yes?" I ask annoyed. I was reading after all.
"I see the new girl reads. Whatcha reading?" He asked with a smirk.
"What's it to you?" I ask.
"Can't I just ask what the new girl is reading?"
"Billy leave me alone"
"Alright alright" he raised his hands in surrender as he walks away from my desk. Just as I go back to reading, he leans over to my ear.
"You'll never get a man if he sees you read. Reading is for sissies" He whispers before he finally leaves.
"Oh so you must read also then." I snap under my breath.
"What did you say?" He turns to me again.
I look up and look back at him. "Oh nothing" I say before I look back down at my book on my desk.

After school was finished Jane walks up to me. "I saw Billy walk up to you today" She said smiling.
"He asked me what I was reading...then he said I would never get a man if he sees me read and reading was for sissies" I say as I put everything away.
"Seems about right" Jane said
"Excuse me?" I look at her
"That's not what I meant! I meant that sounds like what he would say"
"Oh few." I smile.
"Would you like to walk home together?" she asked.
"What about-"
"Jane come on!" Billy calls out.
"Go ahead without me! I'm walking with Jessie!" Jane calls back.
Billy glanced at me before he leaves with Prissy.
"Alright" I smile. "Let's walk home together"
Jane nodded and we walk to the hooks and I put on my hat with my scarf. I grab my lunch pale and wait for Jane. Once she was ready the two of us head out the door.
"So, do you like it here?" She asked me. "So far"
"Yes, I do." I smile.
"That's wonderful" Jane smiles as we walk. "So Billy hasn't ruined it?"
I chuckle "Not yet. But that could change."
"Don't let him ruin your new life here. He's just...Billy"
"I know." I say sighing.
"Still think he's cute? After what he said to you"
I nod.
"Wow, that's a first and a last" Jane said. "Are you in love?"
"I just met him! No." I say. "Knowing me, a few more snarky remarks and I will"
"Has it happened before?"
"No but I know me when it comes to boys"
"I see..."
We kept talking throughout the walk home. I tell her about my brother and our life in Toronto. She listened to me talking and talking. I appreciated it. Then she tells me about her life. And I listen also. Since we got so into our conversation that we slowed our walk down a lot. To the point where it was dinner time by the time I got home.
"Well this is my stop. It was nice talking to you Jane" I smile.
"It was nice talking to you too Jessie" she said.
"See you tomorrow" I say.
"Bye" we part ways and I all up the steps to my home. I walk inside and my mother was quick to greet me.
"Honey what took you so long? Samual was here hours ago!" She said frantically
"Not hours ago" I take off my hat and scarf. She take sky lunch pale.
"Well he was here for a while before you." She said. "Explain young lady"
"I met a friend at school." I smile. "So we walked from the schoolhouse together. We just got so into talking that we didn't realize we where waking so slow" I explain as I slip off my lace up boots.
"I'm so glad you met a friend! Who is it? I might have met her mother"
"Her name is Jane Andrews" I say as I walk to the kitchen to help set up dinner.
"Andrews?" Samual asked. He must have overheard. "As in Billy Andrews?" He asked.
"Yeah. His sister" I say.
"She must be nicer than Billy" he said.
I nod. "Way nicer"
I help dinner to the table before I take a seat next to Samual. My mother sits down across from us and my father comes out from his office to come and eat. He must have been working on some of his bank stuff. My father was a bank teller. He worked with money all the time. So my mother let him handle the money stuff in the family.
"Hello papa" I say as he sits down.
"How was your day?" He asked
"It was good! I met a friend. Her name is Jane and she is so sweet" I smile as I serve myself food.
"Wonderful" he said as he starts serving himself too.
My family serves ourselves before we say grace. After we do we begin to eat. Dinner was red potatoes, cooked carrots and chicken. It was delicious. Mother and father talk while me and Samual do. I ask him about the day and he tells me. He talks about Billy and his pals.
"It seems like you are apart of his group now" I say. I eat a wedge of a red potato off of my fork.
"Well it is a very small school" he glanced at me. "I saw the way you looked at him this morning"
"W-what do you mean?" I ask.
He chuckled. "You turned to find me? Right. Then you saw him"
I roll my eyes. "He is...pleasant looking" I say. Samual gasped lightly "But! He isn't the nicest guy..."
"I know that for sure" He said and the two of us keep eating.