Chapter ten

Once December rolled around the schoolhouse was starting to be decorated like Christmas. One morning, Mr.Philips let's us decorate the schoolhouse. I was the only one brave enough to go on a ladder to hang a string of popcorn and cranberries. I hum Christmas tunes as I hung up the garland over the windows. As I do, I feel someone's eyes on me so I follow the gaze. I see Billy looking up at me, paper snowflakes on the table in front of him. I smile at him and wave. He waves back.
"Jessie focus, I would rather the garland hung before the new year!" Jane joked from the bottom of the ladder. She was holding it to make sure I don't fall.
I look down at her. "Sorry Janey" I say.
"Janey? That's new" she chuckled.
"Sorry, it just rolled off the tongue" I say as I hang up the last of the garland. I pull away and look at the garland above the window. "How does it look from down there Anne?" I ask.
Anne looks up. "Wonderful!" She smiled and giggled.
"Thank you! Hold your applause" I chuckled and climb down the ladder once Jane moved from keeping it steady. My feet hit the floor and I look up at the garland. "Anne's right. It looks good" I smile.

During the afternoon some older women came into talk about something. I wasn't sure what it was. But everyone seemed to be happy about it. 
"I'm Mrs.Rachel Lynde and I'll be in charge of the Christmas play this year" she smiled. She starts to talk about rolls and the story.
"Now how many girls will we have for the play." She asked. One of the other women started writing down names. I don't raise my hand. I'm not much of an actor. I love reading the plays and watching them.
"Why aren't you raising your hand Jess?" Anne asked.
"Yes young lady" Mrs.Lynde said.
"Sorry I don't act or sing" I say.
"But you read Shakespeare" Diana added.
"I love reading and watching it" I say.
"Well you should contribute something" Mrs.Lynde said.
"Um..." I think of some excuse.
"Her mother works at a tailor shop!" Jane said. "She can sew clothes beautifully. She can be head of the costume department"
Relief floods over me as Mrs.Lynde agrees. "Name?"
"Jessie Gray" I reply.
"J-e-s-s-e?" She asked
"No Jessie with an I and Gray with an A" I say.
She writes my name down on paper. I turn to Jane and smiled "Thank you." I mouth.
She nodded and I turn back. Best friend ever. 
After school me and Jane walk home together in the snow.
"You have no idea how much of a life saver you are Jane" I smile.
"I know" she chuckled.
"I feel like if I didn't say anything I would have been pushed into acting and singing"
"Would that have been so bad?" She asked
"Yeah....I would be petrified. And I can't sing"
"I herd you hum the Christmas carols while you where hanging up the garland" she smiled.
"And?" I ask. "Humming is different"
"Whatever you say" Jane chuckled as I get home. We hug and she goes home.

The first day of rehearsal we worked on the script. What the story would be. Not too much work for me but I brought a new empty sketch book. For drawing designs and for writing down measurements etc. I waited in the back of the room watching as they talked about the script. I was sketching a dress because I was bored when I felt someone sit next to me.
"So you are doing costumes eh?" Billy asked. I look up at him. "You're not gonna make me look stupid are you?" He chuckled.
"Only if you convince me not to" I chuckle closing my sketchbook.
"How can I do that?"
"Hmm. Chocolate, kindness, chocolate, maybe a new hair ribbon" I giggle.
"Your wish is my-"
"Billy!" Josie calls to him.
"I better get back" he stands up and rushed to Josie.
"He's at her beckoned call" I sigh. "I should try that sometime" I chuckled to myself before I keep drawing the dress. It wasn't anything special just one that my mom could make me for Christmas. "Christmas" I mutter. "I need presents for friends...." I take out my small notebook and start to write down everyone's names. "Jane, Samual, mama, papa, Anne, Diana, Ruby, prissy....and Billy" I whisper. I try to come up with present ideas. Samual would be easy and Jane would be too. I could ask Jane what to get Prissy. I could go over one night and snoop for Billy. I needed to figure out the rest. I was thinking I would get Prissy a new brush and comb set, I herd her complaining about hers. I could get Samual a new pare of skates. His are getting old and he was telling mama about how tight they where. I wrote down the ideas and noted to tell mom so we both didn't get him a new pare of skates. As much as he would probably like that. I think about what to get for Jane. A new hair ribbon is too little. What if I make her a new dress. I think I will. I flip to a new page in my sketchbook and start to make a dress for her. I could measure one of her dresses when I go over in secret so I could make it without her suspicion. She deserves a new one. I think of what to get Billy. A new hockey stick? A new scarf? A new baseball glove! I write down a new glove and a new scarf. I could knit the scarf if I can learn how to. I knew I could. Hopefully. I could figure out the rest of the list later. For now I should at least try and pay attention in rehearsal. After rehearsal me and the Andrews' siblings all walk home together. We chat about the play and how they are all excited about it. I listen them talk about their rolls. I make it home and I hug Jane before they leave. Billy stays behind and he smiled at me, waving at me. I wave back and watch him walk away from me. My cheeks heat up again as he walked away. No matter what he did, I would always blush.