Chapter five

The next day at lunch me and Jane decided just to sit outside. Just the two of us. We talk about the day and she tells me how much she loves the handkerchief.
"And Prissy was so jealous! The best part is she can't steal it since it has my name on it" she smiled as ate a sandwich.
"I'm so glad you love it. It's my first present to you as your best friend. Expect many more"
"Jessie please don't spoil me" she said.
"I will!" I chuckle
"Ok ok. Just-"
"JESSIE GRAY" I hear Josie's voice.
"What's that about?" Jane asked after she jumps "What did you do?"
"Nothing! I never talk to her" I say. She turn the corner from the door and rushed to us.
"We need to talk" she sits down in the grass.
"What is it?" I ask.
"You need to back off" She snapped.
"Back off of what? Jane?" I look at Jane.
"No! Billy" she said getting visibly more angry.
"What do you mean?" I ask confused
"I saw you two! You where at the candy shop in town together. I don't know if you went together or what but I saw you!"
"Woah woah you are jumping to conclusions" Jane said.
"Then what else could you be doing with him?" She snapped
"Me and Jane went to my moms work at the dress shop. I asked him to tag along and he said yes! He could have said no. But he didn't. He came with us, then he went off to the shop while me and Jane looked around the dresses and stuff." I explain. "Are you guys even together anyway?"
"Not yet." She said
"Then he doesn't belong to you. He wouldn't belong to you even if you two where together!" I say.
She gets up and storms off.
"You're gonna try to get him before she can aren't you?" Jane asked.
I look over at her and shake my head. "I won't want to date a guy just to make another woman mad" I state biting into my apple. Jane nodded. "But I could flirt with him all the time. That will make her mad"
"Jess..." Jane sighs. "Don't get tangled with Josie Pye"
"Come on, I can handle her" I say.
"I know but I have no idea what she will do if you mess with her"
"I'm not scared of her." I state
"Alright" Jane said.

It was as if a war had started. Over a stupid boy that I know would never want to date me anyway. But it wasn't about Billy anymore. It was about beating Josie Pye. During Geometry I hear some shuffling a few rows back. I turn to see Josie passing a note to Ruby, then Ruby passing the note across the room to Billy. He opens it and reads it in hiding so Mr.Philips didn't see. He smiled at it then at Josie who was playing with her hair. I could guess what was on that note. Josie smirked at me before I turn my head back to my slate here I work out the equation.
We played spin the bottle after class. Josie took the lead. I didn't want to play but I was kinda forced. Me and Cole were. It's a silky game. After all, who wants their first kiss to be from someone because of a game?
"Whomever the bottle points to, you are permitted to kiss." Josie instructs. Holding a glass bottle. "It needs to be boy, girl, boy, girl."
"Where does that leave Cole?" Billy commented. I shot a glare at him but he was too focused on the laughter he revived from the stupid joke to notice.
"Jane, go sit next to your dumb brother," Josie began to instruct us. Moving everyone around so it was boy, girl. "Tillie, you're over there. And, Anne switch places with Charlie." Josie sits next to Cole. Poor Cole. I tried to get the two of us out of this, but Josie is way too persistent. "Billy doesn't know anything about anything. I'm glad you're here." She said to him.
"Didn't have much of a choice." He glanced over at me and I give him a sympathetic look.
"Who would like to spin first?" Josie asked.
"Diana!"Charlie gestured for her to go
"Uh..." she said hesitantly. Before reaching for the bottle and spinning it. We all watched anxiously as it slowed to a stop. Pointing at Moody.
"Moody." Josie announced.
"Me?" He asked, surprised.
"Now you have to kiss." Josie said, being bossy as ever. "On the mouth." She added.
I stole a glance over at Billy. What if I would have to kiss him? What are the chances that when it was my turn, it landed on him?
Moody and Diana both rose to their feet
"Good afternoon, Moody." Diana greeted
"Good afternoon, Diana." Moody replied. "I'm going to kiss you now."
They both leaned in and kissed quickly. Laughter and cheering erupted as the two smiled and sat back down. I pulled my knees to my chest. Hoping to not seem too nervous.
"Your turn Anne." Josie said.
"I'm out." Billy said. "No way. Ugly orphan."
This time I held the glare. He saw and his eyes glanced down at the floor. Anne was my friend. Crush on Billy or not.
Her hand began to shake as it hovered over the bottle. I could tell she was getting more and more scared of doing it. Josie teased her. Asking her if she's ever been kissed.
"No!" Anne said firmly, before grabbing her thighs and leaving the school house. I don't blame her.
Diana calls after her, Josie and Billy both scoff. Diana goes after her.
But then Josie's eyes go to me. "You're turn Jesse."
I could hear it in her voice. She wanted me to back down. To chicken out. So she can win another battle in this war against us. I extended my legs from my chest and leaned forward. Reaching out my hand and spinning the bottle.
'Please don't land on Billy. Please don't land on Billy. Please don't land on Billy.' I thought.
The bottle spun slowly and my eyes didn't leave it. Once it landed, they drifted up to who the cork was pointed at. The chances were high. It was pointed right at Billy. Our eyes met.
"Ugh...this game is stupid anyway. Let's just go home guys." Josie said.
"Don't want to break the rules of the game." Billy said. "Right?"
"Exactly!" Jane said.
We both stood at the middle of the circle. My heart beating so fast I thought it would burst from my chest. We stand face to face. I took a breath before leaning in. He leans in too.
It was only a split second. But I felt the sparks as our lips pressed against each other. When we pulled away, the kids cheered and clapped as we both sat down.

Josie had to kiss Charlie. I won this round. I know it all sounds terrible. But it began to be a war against each other instead of over Billy.
I gathered my things from the corner of the back room. Billy materialized next to me.
"Was the geometry lesson hard for you today?" He smirked. "You know I could tutor you"
"Are you calling me stupid or are you genuinely wanting to spend more time with me?" I ask with a light teasing tone. "If it's the ladder I'm not interested. Nice try though. Points for effort" I walk away from him to go Jane who was waiting for me. I see Josie glaring at me. It was my turn to smirk at her. I grab my things before I leave with Jane to head home.
I sigh as we walk in silence.
"What's wrong?" Jane asked.
"You where right" I mumble
"What?" She asked teasingly. I know she herd me.
"You where right"
"I love hearing those words" she giggled which made me smile lightly. "About what?"
"I shouldn't have messed with Josie"
"But I thought you said you aren't scared of her" she said.
"I'm not....we are just starting a mini war over a guy! That's not like me at all"
"You guys are fighting, over Billy?" She asked.
"Well I'm not fighting for him, cause I know he won't want me anyway. But she thinks we are. I just want to win."
"You want to win Billy just so you can shove it in her face?" Jane asked trying to understand my logic.
"Now that you say it, it sounds like I'm the worst person ever" I say.
"I just don't what you to date Billy just because Josie will hate you for like and you would 'win"
"I know." I say.
"Do you love him? It's been a few snarky comments" she teased
"Maybe a little." I say.
"Well I hope you two start dating. You two would be so cute!"
"Jaaane stop" I blush
"No think about it! You two teasing each other all day. Then you two laughing at each other sweetly and kissing!" Jane giggles and jumps around. "You should have seen her face when you kissed during the game."
"Jane!" I blush deeper "Don't tempt me" I muttered.
She giggled. "So you would?"
"I would what?"
"Date him"
"I don't know yet! Cause what if he doesn't...treat me right" I sigh.
"What do you mean?"
"What if all he does is bully and harass me?" I suddenly get so uncomfortable as I hug myself.
"He won't Jess" She puts a hand on my shoulder to calm me down. "And if he does, punch him and teach him a lesson" she smiled. I smiled back "You know I will" I start to feel better that's to Jane. "But...I did feel sparks during that simple kiss."
"Awww!"

I make it home and I eat dinner with my family. Everything was normal. We talked as a family and enjoyed each other's company. But of course I had Billy on my mind. I couldn't help but think of him in the blue ribbon that was around his head. I wondered what he did with it. He probably gave it to one of his sisters. Or he threw it away. Either way I wouldn't be surprised. After dinner I wash up for bed and climb in. I try to read by lamp light but I kept thinking of Billy. I put my book aside and lay back on my pillow.
"You've got to be joking, I'm falling in love with Billy Andrews"