Chapter twenty two

"I love you Jessie." Billy said. "Ever since you told me I must read too...since I said reading is for sissies"
"I love you too Billy" I smile. "I have since your first snarky remarks to me."
He chuckled and slips his hands in mine. "Why didn't you say something?"
"I didn't want to ruin what we had, and I just didn't think you liked me. Not until very recently."
"How so?" He asked.
"Well starting a fight over me for one" I giggle.
He chuckled.
"And at the party, you spent the whole night with me. I couldn't help but at least think you enjoyed my company."
"I didn't want to spend the night with anyone else" he smiled. "Funny story actually..."
We both sit back down again.
"I asked Jane to invite you, for me. I wanted to but I wasn't sure how you felt about me. Then after you gave me the gifts I knew I had to get you invited. I wanted to myself but I was too nervous you would say no. So I asked Jane to do it"
"Billy that's so sweet. I'm glad I went. It was one of the best nights of my life." I say.
"There's something else also" he gets up again and pulls me out of the kitchen. I follow him through the house and up the stairs. We head to his room where I was very familiar. He goes to his dresser and opens the top drawer. He digs through the clothes and takes out the long blue ribbon that I wrapped around his head and then his neck back when I first moved here.
"You kept it?" I ask taking one end of it with my hands, remembering the day.
"Of course. I couldn't help it...." he looks over at me. "Well I noticed you wore my scarf when I forgot it."
"Yeah...I did do that"
"And you've been carrying around the brooch I gave you" he teased.
"You've been wearing the scarf very proudly" I smile.
"Well it is an amazing scarf."
"There's something else" he reached back into his drawer and takes out a lavender ribbon. My lavender ribbon.
"You found it? Where was it?" I take it smiling.
"I didn't find it..."
I look back up at him. "What do you mean?"
"Remember when I came up behind you and said something about you spilling the punch on your dress?"
"Yeah"
"Well your ribbon was very loose on your braid so I just kinda took it off of your braid. I wanted to tease you with it and make you chase me for it, but I started to have a crush on you so I just decided to keep it for myself..."
My face heats up. That mystery was solved.
"You're so perfect..." I mumble and kiss him again. He wraps his arms around me again, kissing me back.
He pulls away. "Will you be my girl?" He asked
"Yes. Yes I will!" I smiled more.
He smiled with me. "But maybe...we should keep it a secret."
"What? Why?" I ask.
"I don't want Josie to hurt you if she learns that we are together." He said.
"I appreciate your concern but I think I'll be fine"
"Please Jessie" he said. "I don't want to have to worry about you."
I sigh. "Only for a little while. Not forever ok?"
"Only for a bit" he agreed.
"Can I at least tell Jane and Samual?"
"Of course" Billy nodded.
"I can't wait to tell her." I giggle.
"She is gonna freak out" he chuckled.
The timing couldn't be more perfect.
"Billy! I'm home hun" his mother called out.
"Was Jane with her?" I ask.
He nodded. "They both went to Ruby's for something" he said. "I can't remember"
"Oh yeah" I smile.
"Shall we?" He gestured to the door.
"We shall." I set the ribbons down on the dresser for him to keep. We both walk out of his room, him ahead of me. He goes downstairs and his mom sees him.
"Billy Andrews what did you do?!" She grabs him and rushed to the kitchen.
Jane sighs.
"Hey Jane" I smile.
She turns to me. "Jess! Hi!" She rushed to me and hugs me. "What are you doing here?" She asked.
"We might need to sit down." I go to the couch and we both sit down.
"What is it?" She asked a little worried
I tell her what happened. The fight, me walking him home, our small fight then me kissing him.
She gasped lightly and covers her mouth to keep from being loud. She gets very excited and I can't help but giggle.
"I'm not done" I say giggling. I tell her about The ribbons. ".... Then he asked me to be his!" I giggle.
"Jessie that's amazing!" She hugs me. "You could be my sister in law!"
"Ok ok calm down Jane" I giggle. "Oh we are keeping it a secret" I say
"What?! Why?!" She asked.
"Just to be safe. We will go public soon. I am telling you and Samual. And that's it" I say. "Plus my mom. Cause she is my mom"
"Alright....tell me when you go public"
I nod. "I will. I can't wait to tell Samual"
Jane nodded. "So he told you about the party? And the ribbons?"
"Did you know?!" I ask.
"Maybe...yeah I did. I killed me not to say. I wanted to but I promised billy I wouldn't"
"I understand." I say. "Thanks for nothing" I giggle.
"You're welcome!" She says and we both giggle.
"Jessie?" I look up to see Mrs.Andrews. She walks to us. "Thank you for helping Billy" she smiled. "I really appreciate it."
"It's no problem." I smile.
"You are so good to my children. I should repay you" she said.
"No no no. Knowing them is reward enough" I say.
She just smiled and leaves the room.
"I should head home. Mama is probably worried" I stand.
"Well congratulations!" She said in a hushed tone.
"Thank you! I'm so happy" We hug before I head to the door. Where Billy was waiting. He looked better, more cleaned up but holding ice to his bruise.
I walk quickly to him and hug him. He hugs me back.
"See you tomorrow Billy" I smile and rest my head on his chest.
"See you Tomorrow" he rubs my back gently.
I pull away and peck his lips before I put on my jacket and hat. I had kept my shoes on in the rush of things so I was ready to go. He waves to me as I leave the house. I rush home as fast as I possibly could.