Sunflower

"Do you ever get sick of dyeing your hair blonde?"

It's a genuine question that falls from Jennie's lips as her hand runs through Lisa's hair. She uses her free hand to prop against the couch's armrest. The blonde has her head resting on the brunette's lap, eyes closed. She is hoping to take a quick nap as they sit on the couch, lazing about on a Sunday afternoon.

"No."

Jennie smiles in reply, the silence causing Lisa to crack one eye open.

"Are you sick of seeing it?"

"Not at all. I can spot you from a mile away quite easily."

The corner of Lisa's mouth tugs upward as she closes her eye again.

"When you get tired of it, please let me know."

Jennie's fingers loosely twirl a few locks of her girlfriend's hair.

"I think of sunflowers sometimes when I see it."

This is enough to stir Lisa a bit more awake, but her eyes are still shut.

"Why?"

"Sunflowers are warm and cheery."

"Because that's totally me." Lisa deadpans as her eyes open.

Jennie laughs and brings her hand that was playing with Lisa's hair up to her cheek. She caresses it softly, brown orbs locked onto Lisa's.

"You give me warmth that no clothing, bed sheet, or blanket can provide."

--

Jennie places the keys on the counter and shuts the door behind her as she enters their small house.

"Lili?"

The echo of the rooms is enough to tell her that Lisa is not home. Strange, because she should be.

She walks past the living room and scans the house for her girlfriend's whereabouts. The backdoor has been left ajar and this causes Jennie some confusion.

She makes her way to their poorly kept garden and stares at the back of a crouched certain someone.

Lisa wipes her forehead and drops her gardening tools. She stands up and rubs the dirt off her hands. A familiar embrace from behind lets her know that her home is here.

"Hi."

Jennie rests her chin atop Lisa's right shoulder.

"Hi. What are you doing?"

Lisa Manoban is no gardener.

"You'll see."

"Can I make a guess?"

"No, it will ruin the surprise."

"It's hardly a surprise." A cheeky grin appears on Jennie's face.

"Surprises were never my forte." Lisa mumbles as Jennie presses her smile against the other girl's ear.

They both know they are thinking about the same thing. Lisa had once tried to surprise her with a homemade full course meal for dinner, only to have burnt everything, resulting in some take out and an embarrassing story.

"No. No, they never were. Are you ready for dinner?"

"Yes."

Jennie releases her hold on Lisa and holds her hand out for her. She smiles widely as she notices the speck of dirt on Lisa's forehead.

"Let's get you cleaned up first."

Jennie crouches down and picks up a towel off the ground. Using the clean side, she wipes at Lisa's forehead and the sweat that Lisa has worked up from gardening.

Lisa laughs because she is not a child. She does not need help cleaning herself. But she is always welcome to Jennie's coddling.

--

The blonde sits atop the counter (who uses stools?) legs dangling in front of her as Jennie's light brown sweater envelopes her. She's always liked how the brunette's clothing was always a tad too small for her, too short for her arms (it feels like jennie hug her, who cares right?). A peanut butter sandwich is nibbled on gently as she watches the brunette make one for herself.

When Jennie is finished, she turns to look at Lisa, an awestruck expression on her face. The brunette moves over to stand between Lisa's dangling legs. Then she takes a small bite out of the other end of Lisa's peanut butter sandwich.

Lisa laughs at the random action.

"Why are you eating mine?" Lisa teases her gently. "You just made one."

Jennie swallows the contents and makes sure to swipe her tongue against her own teeth to clean away any remnants of the sandwich. Her eyebrows crinkle together as she asks seriously.

"How is it that you make everything look so good?"

It isn't a tease in retort, but the simple truth. Lisa feels the red creep onto her cheeks.

"What do you mean?"

Jennie gently grabs a fistful of the hem of the light brown sweater.

"I was never fond of this sweater, but I love how it looks on you. It's like... it was made for you."

Lisa sets aside her sandwich and puts her arms over Jennie's shoulders.

"But it's yours."

"What's mine is yours."

Jennie leans forward, pressing her lips against the underside of Lisa's jaw as she whispers in between kisses.

"My possessions, my body, my heart, my love. Take it all. Just don't leave me."

Lisa hisses when Jennie bites softly into her neck.

"How could I?"

Jennie does not say anymore as she continues the kisses.

But you can. It would be so easy to leave me.

She has her unspoken fears.

--

They walk across the town, hand in hand as the afternoon sun greets them. The vibrant colors and array of flowers on the opposite side of the street attracts Lisa's eyes. She speaks without looking at Jennie.

"There's a myth that sunflowers follow the sun as the sun rises and sets. They say it's out of loyalty."

"Do you really believe that?"

"I do."

"Why do you believe that?"

"Because I've seen the magic with my own eyes."

"Oh?" Jennie quipped. "Since when did you fancy sunflowers?"

"Since you mentioned them."

The brunette grins because she knew she was going to respond likewise.

"Thank you for always listening, Lili."

She places a quick kiss on Lisa's left temple.

It is ironic that after all this time, the older girl is able to make her blush day in and day out with simple words and kisses.

--

The garden doesn't work out as well as Lisa had planned so she decides to buy Jennie some sunflowers instead. (Who knew gardening wasn't her forte, either?) She presses the small ones into Jennie's notebooks and wallet. She makes sure to hand deliver fresh ones to Jennie's office during her lunch breaks.

Sometimes, she'll pick a small one and place it behind Jennie's ear in the mornings.

And when she does this, she'll whisper ever so gently into her ear.

"Stay with me, always."

--

"Congratulations Jennie."

Her coworkers congratulate and applaud her as she stares dumbfounded at the documents before her.

A promotion is welcome, but moving places is not something that she wanted.

She bites her lip and wonders.

Lisa.

Would Lisa come with her to a new country?

Would Lisa give up what she's worked so hard for here?

When she gets home, she doesn't have the courage to speak about it when Lisa greets her warmly with the smile she's only ever been privileged to see.

She doesn't want to shatter that perfect smile in any way.

--

Lisa wakes up in the middle of the night to Jennie's soft cries.

"Jennie?"

The weight from her side leaves Lisa and presses against her body, sinking the both of them deeper into the mattress. Skin slides against skin as Jennie digs her head deep into Lisa's neck.

"What's wrong?"

Her sobs are quieter now as her tears start to pool around at the base of Lisa's collarbone.

"I had a nightmare. You weren't here."

"But I am here."

Lisa holds tightly onto her, pressing her hands into Jennie's back to show her physically that she is here.

"For now." It comes off so soft and fragile that it terrifies Lisa how much this really scares Jennie.

"I'm not going to leave."

"But I might. What if some irrevocable force ripped us apart? What if something out of our complete control rifted us? What if –"

"That's okay, because I would follow you."

"Sometimes I am afraid that I'll expect you to be following and turn around and you won't be there. You won't be here. You won't be anywhere." She is speaking too fast, psyching herself out.

"Look at me."

Jennie pushes herself up, eyes locking onto Lisa's.

"I'm never going to leave you, even if you were to throw me away, to kick me aside, or push me away. I'd follow you because that's all I know how to do, how to love you. I'm too selfish to give you up."

Lisa pulls her in for a kiss at the corner of her lips.

"I'm too selfish to give up the best thing that's ever happened to me."

It only makes Jennie cry more, but a different type of tears. She inhales deeply, wondering if this is the right time to break the news.

"I got a promotion at work. I'm being transferred."

She expects Lisa to protest, to hide her fears and angers at the thought of being separated, to lash out in some shape or form. She does not expect Lisa to smile and whisper.

"I'll pack my things tomorrow morning."

There are no questions of where they are going, when they are going, or demands for explanations as to why.

Jennie lowers herself back down, head resting on Lisa's chest.

"You make it sound so easy."

"It's only easy because it's you. Would you have done the same for me?"

"Yes." There is no hesitation in Jennie's voice.

"Then you make it easy, too."

And it suddenly clicks in Jennie's head that they wouldn't, no, couldn't be separated just because of a job promotion. They needed each other and would follow each other to the ends of the earth.

On the dresser sits a fresh sunflower in a vase as they fall asleep to their beating hearts, breathing each other in.

--

It's Sunday again. They sit atop a green hill, side by side as they pick at the blades of grass. In front of them is a giant field of sunflowers. The sun is about to set, giving off an orange glow. Jennie has her legs straight out while Lisa's legs are pulled in close, arms wrapping around them.

"Do you remember when you said I reminded you of warmth?"

"Of course." Jennie laughs inwardly because it was a conversation they shared a week ago. Leave it to Lisa to bring it up now.

"I was thinking about it and it's funny because you make me hot."

Sometimes Lisa said things that could mean a billion different things. Jennie gazes at her, a quizzical look on her face.

"What kind of 'hot?'"

Lisa speaks slowly as she holds her palm out, letting the wind blow away the blades of grass she had gathered.

"All kinds. The kind of hot that creeps onto my cheeks when you swoon me with your words. The kind that leaves me hot and bothered. The kind of hot that burns a fire in my chest, hoping that it never gets put out. All kinds of hot, Nini."

It's Jennie's turn to blush and grin. But Lisa's not done saying romantic things. She wraps her arms around legs again, head turned to face Jennie.

"If I am your sunflower, then you are my sun. I will follow you wherever you go. I need you in my life, Nini."

Moving across countries, leaving her behind or being left behind; what was there to really worry about?

Lisa had always been a woman of her words.

Jennie cups her cheek and kisses her so softly that it throws Lisa off guard. When the brunette pulls back, she rests her forehead onto Lisa's and runs her fingers up and down the back of Lisa's neck.

"I love you. I love you. I love you."

Lisa smiles from ear to ear.

"I love you, too."

She says it with her eyes closed, eyes too blinded by the entity of this sun of hers.

When she breathlessly whispers, 'so hot' soon after, that beautiful, magical laughter from Jennie lets her know that she's said the right words, done the right things, and is loving the right person.

PS: Because the world, Jenlisa world need some fluffiness to heal our broken hearts. Happy Jenlisa day everyone.

If y'all bored, you can talk to me tho. i kind of need Jenlisas mutual rn. we can be friends too! hahaha. enjoy~