Poem & Mail

Summer holidays was here and Lisa had volunteered to be a post office girl for the time being. She only did it just so she could send letters or poems to a girl she had been crushing on. A girl named Jennie. She was only a few years older and never really noticed Lisa even though they were neighbors.

Lisa knew it was creepy for her to do so but how could she stand still and watch Jennie just from the window? Her job was to deliver mails in her neighborhood only.

The first letter was about how she admired Jennie and wrote to her that she shouldn't going out with douchebags anymore. Of course, she had to scribble her words so it would be like a boy's handwriting. The next day, Lisa saw Jennie putting the letter back in the mailbox. But that didn't stop her from complimenting the girl.

On the first day of the holidays, news broke out that Jennie just broken up with some douchebag Lisa did not bother to remember his name. And Jennie seemed to be upset about it. Lisa would see her sitting on the porch till the sunset comes, staring at particularly nothing, and an upside down smile pasted.

After the first letter, Lisa started adding poems in the later letters. She would scribble the words onto a small paper, fold it after, and put it in an envelope.

Mostly, Lisa preferred E.E Cummings, Ginsberg's, or F.Scott Fitzgerald's works. She grew to loving their writings. Her father was a literature professor at a college nearby and built a small library in their home. So on afternoons, she takes a book out, searches for the marked lines, and write it down on a paper.

Delivering those letters were kind of tricky at first for Lisa. She had to pull down the brim of her cap down just so anyone would not see her face. Especially Jennie. Sometimes, Lisa would hesitate a little before putting the envelope in the mailbox.

**

First letter

Dear Jennie,
Hi. How are you? You must be wondering who I am. This may come off creepy. I just want to say that I kind of like you. Kind of a lot too. Creepy? I'm sorry. I think you're a pretty cool person and pretty beautiful. You deserve a lot better. He's a douchebag.

Your secret admirer

**

End of 2nd week

One noon, Lisa went to Jennie's house to do the usual job. As she was putting the mail in, Jennie yanked the door open, walked down the steps, and grabbed the mails out of Lisa's hand. Jennie started to rifle through it and got hers, and Lisa's heart dropped.

To her very relief, the cap was pulled down therefore Jennie couldn't really see the panicked eyes.

"Do you know who is the sender?" Jennie held the letter in front of Lisa. She sounded like she was accusing Lisa.

Lisa just shook her head. "No.."

"Well, if you do see him at the post office, tell him I want to meet him." Jennie said. It wasn't an angry or a friendly kind of tone. Lisa did not know what to make out of that. "Or is it a her? There's no a return address. Ridiculous." The girl scoffed and went back into the house without bidding goodbye. After that, Lisa could finally breathe properly.

**

Second letter

Dear Jennie,
It's me again. I hope you're not too weirded by this. And I hope you find my letter enlightening. And I also hope you'll be happier. I hope for all the greatest things for you. Because you deserve it. Only if I could show you how incredibly wonderful you are. If only you could see the way I see you. Because in my eyes, you shine the brightest among the stars and you are the loveliest of all roses.

"Yours is the light by which my spirit's born: - you are my sun, my moon, and all my stars." – e.e. cummings

Your secret admirer

**

End of 3nd week

Arriving at Jennie's front lawn, Lisa had her blue cap on and took the mail out of her bag. Then she noticed Jennie was sitting on the porch steps as if she had been waiting for Lisa.

"You again." Jennie said flatly. She lifted her sunglasses onto her head and narrowed her eyes at Lisa. She was leaning back and had her elbows propped on the porch floor, her leg over the other.

Lisa smiled half-heartedly and sweats started to trickle down her temples. Jennie's shirt was pulled back a little, baring her stomach, and the sight had Lisa's eyes looking down her own feet.

"A letter for me again?"

Lisa shrugged.

"Bring it to me?" It wasn't a question but more of a request. She complied and meekly handed the particular letter to Jennie. "Thanks."

She was about to turn away but halted when Jennie spoke up again. "I swear I've seen you somewhere. Aside from giving mails."

"I live across you." Lisa looked over her shoulder and pointed at her own house.

"Wow, really?" Jennie laughed airily, disbelief at the information. Lisa's cheeks were burning in embarrassment. "My name's Jennie. I don't think we've officially met." She stood up and smiled. "And you're Lisa." Her eyes landed on Lisa's badge name.

"I know who you are."

"You do?" Jennie furrowed her brow.

"We go to the same school together." Lisa said in a dull tone. A little offended that Jennie had never noticed her before.

"I'm sorry. I thought you were a little older since you mail stuff and all."

"It's a summer job." Lisa said as she walked away quickly.

**

Third letter

Dear Jennie,
I assumed that you're probably thinking that I may be from your school. Yes, I am. I could only tell you that. Jennie.. Jennie.. I think it's a pretty normal name. One of many common American names. Somehow it suits you. Somehow you've made the name sound more than just.. normal. I think you're pretty extraordinary. Do believe it when I say that you are. A stranger's words are sometimes more truthful than the people you've known.

"The weight of the world is love. Under the burden of solitude, under the burden of dissatisfaction the weight, the weight we carry is love. " – Allen Ginsberg.