[XVII] - No More

Chiaki stood by the receptionist. She was in a rush after she heard a call. Everyone wondered why she was still in her pink pajamas with controller design print. Her hair wasn't brushed, and she only has one slipper on.

"Hey, I'm looking for a Komaeda Nagito?" She said.

"Are you family or relative?"

Nanami blinked a couple of times in disbelief in front of the receptionist.

"Nanami-San," Nagito called. He gave her a small wave, but his expression was a pained one.

"Oh, Nagito," she breathed out when she saw her friend. The heavy feeling mostly went out of her system. She walked towards him and gave him a huge hug. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I just broke my arm, no biggie."

"That's a big cast, Nagito."

He only replied in a awkward laugh.

"Where's Hajime...?" Nanami finally asked.

Komaeda looked down, feeling sad. "He passed out. He's... in that room with me. I only went out because I can't stand to see him like that."

The nurse came rushing down the hallways and she saw her patient. She looked distressed but relieved when she saw him.

"Komaeda-Kun, you have to rest. You still have a fracture leg and you can't be walking around."

"A fracture leg?" Nanami said, almost in a yell.

Komaeda was just holding onto the IV stand with a guilty look. "It's because of me... Hinata-kun is in a critical condition," he said.

"Nagito. Not this again," Nanami said as thoughts went at the back of her head.

"I'm sorry, I know you two are having a private conversation, but he still needs to rest his body."

Reluctantly, Nagito got dragged by the both back in the room. There was a curtain in between Hajime and Nagito. The nurse tucked him back into his bed while Nanami looked at Hajime who looked to be really injured. He's still breathing fine thankfully.

Chiaki checked up on Nagito again after the nurse left. She sat on the chair beside him, holding his arm.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

"What choice do I have, Nanami? I only affect the people I care about... It's because of my stupid luck," he said as he clenched the sheets. His eyes filled with so much regret and hate. "Why did I even think that he's going to be fine with me? That... he's not going to end up like this?"

"I can't talk to you about this, Nagito. You and Hajime should talk," Nanami looked down. She wishes she could help. "But I have something you should keep in mind, Nagito."

He looked at her with his full attention. "Don't hurt him more than he is right now."

===

Hajime slowly opened his eyes. He was greeted by the bright ceiling. He groaned, letting his eyes wander around. He looked down and saw himself wrapped up in bandages and wires.

"Everything hurts but... Where is Komaeda?"

"Komaeda-kun?" He called in hope for a response.

But nobody came.

He let himself be occupied again just by looking everywhere. He couldn't move anyway. Soon after, the door slid open. It was Nanami.

"Hey," he greeted with a smile.

"Hey, Hajime. How are you feeling?"

"Pretty bad. But overall, I'm feeling fine."

Nanami was silent. She fiddled with the handle of her pajamas. "Hajime," she said which startled him.

"Uh... Yes, Nanami-san?"

"Whatever Nagito does. Don't let him do it."

===

The Ultimates visited him when he heard the news. Nanami invited them. They treated Hajime like they're friends and he's a member of the crew. They showered him with gifts. Some were creative to use their talent to give it to him as a gift.

After the visit, the nurse took him to the courtyard. Hajime was thankful that it's not crowded. He's not sure why the nurse was taking him there, but then he spotted the white fluffy hair. The nurse left him once he was in front of Komaeda.

"Hi Komaeda-kun," Hajime spoke softly. Too soft.

Komaeda heard it anyway. He looked confused. "Who are you?"

Hajime's eyes widened as his heart dropped. "It's me... Hinata Hajime... Remember?" He managed to say those words even though it was strained from shock.

"Tell me that this is all just a lie."

Just then, Komaeda let out a chuckle and it turned into a laugh. Hinata stared at him in confusion.

"You should've seen your face," the marshmallow haired boy laughed. "It's a joke, don't worry."

Hajime managed to hit his arm playfully even though his whole body hurts. "That's not funny, Komaeda!"

Nagito's shoulders dropped along with his expression. He became serious. "I guess you probably know what I'm going to say."

Hajime shook his head in denial. "Not a clue."

"Well... Do you like me anyway?" He asked which the brunette didn't expect him to say.

"What... Kind of question is that? Platonic or...?"

"Huh?" Hajime blurted out.

"I mean! Do you even want me to be in your life? Because you know... Nanami is there. The Ultimates like you..."

"Where are you going with this, Komaeda-kun?" He asked him as he looked into his eyes. His silver eyes were clearly avoiding his olive green eyes.

"I can't have you around me anymore, Hinata-kun. I don't want you to be caught up in my mess," he said.

It only made Hinata more confused. Nagito read his expression and understood why. "My talent is that I'm the Ultimate "lucky" student. I know that it's not a talent and it's not entirely true... My luck is really something. For example, if I have a rough morning, then I'll meet the love of my life in the nurse's office."

Hajime stayed silent. He was slowly catching up.

"And my concern is taking you with me and my misfortunes," Komaeda glared at the ground as he clenched his fists. "I don't want that to happen to you. I lost so many people around me. I'm scared, Hinata-kun," He looked at him as tears started to well up. "I don't want you to go. But I have to."

Hajime hated to see Nagito in a depressed state. He carefully stood up despite his condition. He gave him a huge hug.

Hinata wondered. Did he even have somebody to rely on?

"I don't care if I get mixed up on your luck, Komaeda-kun. I'm also afraid on what's going to happen, but... I decided that I'd like to be brave with you," he paused, looking into his eyes. "I want to be someone who you can rely on. I also want you to be someone I can rely on."

Komaeda shook his head but Hinata stopped it by holding his cheeks gently.

"We'll be fine. I want to spend my time with you, anyway. I'll be fine. Just please let me be in your world," Hajime smiled. "Let's hope for a better one."

Komaeda returned his smile. His stomach started to flutter. "You never fail to amaze me, Hinata-kun," he said, heart struck.