Midnight By The Fountain

(Drawn by littlememelord) 

Author's Note: Reworked Chapter 1 due to me releasing this fic on Ao3.

Legosi walked up and down the entrance to the theater.

The crisp night time breeze tickled his grey fur.

It's been roughly an hour since Louis and Zoe disappeared into the theater, leaving the wolf outside to keep watch. They weren't supposed to use the stage this late at night, but Zoe desperately needed to rehearse his lines for the upcoming play.

It was a rather calm and quiet night. The full moon was out, albeit there was a bit of cloud cover, and the only real noise was the chirping of crickets and the fountain in front of the theater. Legosi, the grey wolf, was quite bored just hanging around outside alone.

Suddenly, he felt something quickly brush against his ankle, making him jump. He quickly looked down, only to come face to face with a tiny little bug. Legosi sighed.

"Hey, there little buddy. What are you doing here?" Of course, the bug only answered with silence. "Oh, what am I doing here? I guess that's a good question, huh..? What am I doing here?"

Legosi thought back to only a few hours prior. He was brought in to Louis's, the red deer's, office to supposedly help Zoe "fix his act" before rehearsals. Zoe was merely a replacement actor. He would be replacing Tem, the alpaca. The circumstances that led to this decision, however, was still a fresh open wound in the minds of all Cherryton Academy students; Tem's murder.

Exactly one week ago today, Tem was devoured by one of the carnivore students. As it currently stands, the culprit has yet to be caught. No one knows who it was, but that didn't exactly stop anyone from speculating, especially the herbivores.

Several days after the murder, once the school had reopened, tensions between carnivore and herbivore students were at an all-time high. It was nearly palpable. Almost all herbivore students would consciously avoid any of the carnivores. Despite this, however, Legosi had a mission to do, one final token of his friendship with Tem.

Before Tem's passing, the alpaca was very much in love. He was in love with a girl who'd he'd now never be able to admit it too. This was Legosi's mission, to give her the only remaining evidence of his love, a love letter.

Legosi always did his best to act weak when around others, but unfortunately, being a carnivore meant that people like Els, Tem's crush, would naturally fear him more regardless. There was a part of him that resented being born a wolf, but it was something that couldn't be helped.

In the end, however, she would eventually receive it, and Legosi felt that now, he could begin trying to move on.

Back in Louis's office, the red deer began saying lines from the play aloud.