Louis's War

Legosi awoke before anyone else, stretching as he got out of bed. Today was the first showing of the play. Louis had made it a big enough deal already, stressing the importance of making a good impression on the Freshmen and the rest of the school.

Legosi showered and got dressed, leaving before Jack had even woken up. Only a few students were currently in the Cafeteria, mostly consisting of carnivores and a couple herbivores, who, per usual, stayed in their own separate groups. Most of the herbivores only left their dormitories in groups. Most herbivores felt miserable walking alone, the instinct of feeling happy and safe in a herd was still very present in them. That was also the reason why the dormitories were separated by species. The Canine dorms like 701 in which Legosi currently resided were, of course, populated by canines with only a few exceptions. Hyenas, despite their resemblance to other canines, are actually a part of the feliformia Classification, more closely resembling felines than canines. Room 701 had only one Hyena, with everyone else being actual canines. They usually did everything together as a group, whether it be studying, eating, etc. This morning, however, Legosi felt the need to leave earlier on his own. He was a stagehand, meaning he was responsible for preparing the stage and configuring the lights for the play.

After taking his tray of food, he caught sight of Juno eating alone. He approached the table. "Good morning," he greeted. She looked up, her tail wagging as she recognized his voice. "May I join you?" Legosi pointed towards the chair on the other side of the table.

"Sure." She was visibly happy that he had asked.

"Why are you eating alone today?" Legosi sat down his tray and sat down.

"I was a bit too excited for today, so I got up extra early," Juno explained, taking a bite of her egg sandwich. "What about you? You're here early too, aren't you?" The she-wolf asked back.

"Same as you, I suppose. There's still a lot that needs to be prepared before tonight," Legosi explained. Juno looked at him for a second, dreamily. Was it love she felt? This feeling that was coursing through her veins, making her heart skip a beat whenever she laid eyes on him. His grey fur shined brighter than ever before, his musky, earthy scent sending shivers down to her core. "Aren't you nervous? It's your first performance after all," he asked, a cute smile on his face. She looked away, blushing. Had she really been starring?

"Yeah, I am, but the excitement is overpowering it." Legosi was in awe. She had so much confidence compared to him... what was he doing wrong? Why was he always so insecure, everyone else made it look so easy.

The two finished their breakfast and walked to the theater, butterflies in both their stomachs. While Legosi and Juno made their way to the theater, happily talking, Louis was going through a different situation. The medication he was using just wasn't strong enough. If Louis wanted actual pain killers, he would have to get a prescription through the nurse, which meant that they would likely give him a cast. With that cast, he would never fit into his costume, more so it would slow him down even further. At worse, it would stop him from being able to perform entirely. He took a sharp breath as he stood up, putting pressure on the injured leg. He stared into the mirror, the suffering and pathetic face of a coward looking back at him. He can't fail now, failing on stage would mean everything he worked so hard for would collapse. The pain was a small price to pay for perfection. Training, will power, and his intelligence had brought him here, and they would keep him here.

The people needed their grim reaper, the courageous Adler soaring on the stage with a pained soul. He needed this injury... It shall fuel his performance. Make him stronger, fiercer. No one would stop him, not even his own body. Treatment will have to wait until after the play was over.

"Listen up, all of you." The bellowing voice of the deer filled the stage. "Beyond those curtains, new students who have never experienced our performance before, are eagerly waiting with great expectations." Louis had started to walk past his team, standing straight in two parallel lines opposite each other. "Don't worry, do it like you always do it. Our last rehearsal went quite well." The last sentence almost caused him to laugh out loud. They were an absolute joke, last time they Rehearsed. "This goes to show that one bad incident won't stop us." He spoke with confidence, wanting to boost morale right before the show. "This club is very special." Only because of me. "On stage, we can portray all species, each of us working together, as one unit, right?" The deer had reached the end of the row. "Right," They said in unison. Good, no one was going to stand in his way. This was his battle, his War, and he shall be their radiant despot leading them to victory.

Legosi watched as Adler, the Grim Reaper, was brought to life. Crouched next to the center light, he had an excellent view of the stage. Louis's performance was heartfelt, strong... and yet also pained. Each wrong step, causing the deer to lose footing and nearly collapse. His leg was far from just hurting now. Each step and leap he takes is enough for Legosi to have to look away. He couldn't imagine what it must have felt like, and yet, somehow, Louis was able to pull through. The audience was entranced by his performance. They gazed in awe as he brought to life the heroic grim reaper.

Louis was able to sustain his radiant performance all through the night. Finally, the play had reached its final scene, and as the play reached its climax, so did Louis's exhaustion. He had no idea how he'd been able to ignore the pain up until now. His mind was foggy as he tried to concentrate.

"I am the Grim Reaper, and I shall prove my love with death!" With that final line, it was over. Louis had successfully made it through the play. He had already lost all feeling in his legs. The Pain having wandered up to his Stomach, Flaring up to a Burning sensation.The thunderous applause of the audience began to fade as his hearing began to wane. The Adrenaline that had carried him through the Night had now reached his head. The curtains were nearly shut, as the world crashed down on him, sinking to the floor.

I did it! I really did it! I can't feel a damn thing anymore, but I did it...

"Louis!"

"Someone get an ambulance!"

What? What's going on...? Make the curtain call already...