Drowsy Morning with the Pack

Louis had hurt his leg attempting to protect Zoe from an absent-minded fall off the stage. In the accident, his ankle had twisted more than Legosi could even believe, and yet, he rejected the idea of going to the nurse's ward. He was also very determined to walk alone, leaving Legosi to escort Zoe back to his dorm.

"I can't believe I actually caused that! If he can't perform, the show will be canceled... the club will close, and it'll all be my fault!" cried Zoe.

"Well, even if he can't perform right now, we might be able to reschedule it to another time," Legosi reassured. When they reached Zoe's dorm, he was still a panicked mess, but even so, he was thankful for Legosi keeping guard. With that, Legosi departed, on the way to his own dorm.

His mind wandered around the last few days. Just after Tem's murder was made public, Louis had begun to show extreme interest in Legosi. It was a rather strange fascination that had bubbled to the surface in the wake of the brutal murder of a classmate. Instead of showing fear or disdain, he showed curiosity and... maybe even dominance. Oh, how Legosi hated that word. It was painted with the stigma of being used almost exclusively with carnivores. Perhaps that was it. Louis wanted to show to himself and others that standing straight and proud was the way to go. Or maybe, he just wanted to show that no carnivore could intimidate him, using Legosi as an example. It didn't sit right with him, but Legosi was, like always, powerless. No one dared to cross Louis, not even Bill, one of the strongest tigers he knows. Louis was their strong, fearless captain, and the drama club was his crew. Dedicated and well maintained, all the while keeping the boat afloat.

Legosi entered his dorm quietly. He put on his track pants and a shirt. He drowsily closed the curtains and sank into his covers, the warmth inviting him into the lands of happy and comfortable dreams.

But just before he could slip away, a single thought shot through his mind. I wonder when I'll see that wolf at the fountain again?

"Legosi! You can't just sleep the day away!" Collot threw open Legosi's curtains. The sudden appearance of light urged Legosi to sit up. Collot had nearly pulled him on his feet, the white dog reminding him to get ready for breakfast. Miguno came out of the bathroom, snickering at the drowsy wolf still half asleep.

"I take it you didn't study for the Math test yet?"

"No," answered Legosi.

"Well, you better get to it then. You don't have much time left." Legosi looked over to the closet seeing Jack and Durham, who were both fully clothed. The retriever looked at his friend with curiosity. Legosi wasn't one to stay up long.

"Rough night?" Jack asked.
"I Just had to help Louis with Drama Club stuff. Took longer than we thought is all." The wolf said weakly. Jack watched him worry as Legosi made his way to the bathroom.

Their small pack of canines, well, technically not Miguno... but close enough, made their way to the cafeteria. Voss sat perched on Legosi's shoulder as he often did. Legosi often wondered to himself how that little fennec fox saw the world. Much smaller than anyone else, having to sit on shoulders to see eye-to-eye with others, or having his voice going by mostly unheard. He's a tough little guy, but still, must be at least a little scary when almost everyone else looked like a giant to you. Voss's world is a whole lot different from everyone else sitting at this table. It was the complete opposite of some of the other, taller, carnivores. Being tall meant that everyone smaller than you would almost always be intimidated by you in some way.

The group came to a halt in front of the Information Board. Miguno read the menu out aloud, which went unnoticed by Legosi. He never was a picky eater, nor did he really pay attention to the food Infomercials. They all took their trays and found themselves a table. Miguno complained about almost stepping on a couple of squirrels. The curse of coexisting with the smaller creatures.

"Legosi, you said I looked good with glasses, right?" Miguno looked over to him. Voss had just climbed down Legosi's shoulder, seating himself at his own miniature table placed on top of their own.

"You look mature with it. More like an adult than a 17-year old." Legosi answered. "Hoping it'll help you win the girls, huh?" Durham poked fun at Miguno.

"Even with glasses, I would still look better than you." retaliated the Hyena. Both laughed at that and started scarfing down their meals. Legosi ate his own slowly. As he took another bite, he felt his nose twitch again. A familiar sweet, fruity smell once again entered his nose. The scent filled his mind blocking out everything else. He didn't even notice the fight that had begun to break out. He began scanning the room, searching for that sweet-smelling wolf girl. Juno, was it? The sounds of fighting and yelling began to slowly push their way into his head. It started to break his concentration.

"KNOCK IT OFF ALREADY!" These words had emanated from Legosi's own throat. The wolf had realized a second too late how much the noise had irritated him.

"What the hell do you have to do with this!?" The fox had stood up and walked towards him. Legosi stood up as well, holding his hands up. Did I seriously just say that out loud!?

"I-I... erm... I-I-I didn't..."

"Don't think that just because you're some big scary wolf that I'm intimidated by you. How about you come over here... I'll be gentle. Promise," The fox bore his fangs.

A fight was the last thing Legosi wanted right now. All he cared about was finding Juno. The fox continued to inch closer. Maybe I can just lose on purpose and be done with it! It couldn't be that hard, right? It didn't take long for him to concoct a plan. Before Legosi could do anything, however, a familiar voice rang through the room.

"You know, it's considered bad manners to bare your fangs." Louis. The richest and most popular student of all. He now stood beside Legosi. Suddenly it registered to everyone else who had just arrived. The screams of fangirls soon followed.

"Looks like the big bad wolf needs his rich deer friend to help him break up a fight. How ironic." the fox said, annoyed.

"I don't appreciate seeing my fellow students getting beat up than any other herbivore or carnivore. So do yourself a favor and just leave it!" It almost seemed as if Louis had physically grown. His personality was grander than his own body gave him space for. The simple sentence carried so much power and authority with it, and it brought the judgmental eyes of everyone onto the fox, a pressure he obviously couldn't handle. "Arrogant little..." were his last words before he ran off with his previous opponent.

"Eh...Thank you, Lo-"

"There won't always be someone to get you out of fights. You should start to find a way to stand up for yourself. You're a carnivore for crying out loud," Louis had cut him off. Legosi shifted his gaze, he could smell the expensive perfume he was using. But also the faint odor of sweat. Perhaps it was the sweat of fear.

"I'll try my best," Legosi continued to avoid Louis's eyes. Without another word, the deer left. He sank back down to his seat. By now, the fruity smell was long gone. Legosi's tail drooped in disappointment.

"What the heck just happened?" Jack had a shocked look on his face.

"Honestly, I... don't really know." Legosi felt beaten down. Collot spoke up, "Since when are you and Louis friends?"

"We aren't... really friends. More like... just a boss and his loyal employee," explained Legosi.

"Well, he seems like a real douche," Voss had cut in.
Legosi simply laughed.

The group finished their breakfast, all going to their respective classes and activities. Legosi walked beside Jack for a while, the retriever asking and worrying about the wolf all the while. When Jack too left to study, Legosi was left alone once more. Alone with his thoughts. Walking to the Drama club, he couldn't help but think about that wolf girl he'd met the other night. The simple thought brought a smile to his face. Straightening his back, he happily strutted along, not noticing the wag developing in his tail.