12 || ignorance could be bliss

The rest of my weekend blinked by. I finished majority of the work I hadn't done during the week and I managed to finish a season of supernatural. Although I was re-binging it, so I don't think that really counts. It's also not exactly helpful to watch series when I could actually be productive with my time.

By the time Monday came around, I felt a little odd. As if I was forgetting something important.

I walked into class, a little later than I preferred but oh well.

Arlo was sitting at my desk, talking tersely to Ashton. They looked very high strung which was something I was not used to seeing from them. Generally, Arlo let anything bounce off him. Then again, I think anything could bounce off of him...literally.

"Golden," I heard my name called. I shuddered. It was Ashton, literally the last person I had wanted to see today. Arlo, on the other hand gave me a small wave which I returned.

Ashton looked down at his desk, which he was carving into with a pocket knife and said, "I'm surprised that I beat you to class." 

I wanted to peer over and see what he was engraving into school property but that meant getting close to him which was something I didn't want to do.

He had beat me to class today though. I wasn't sure how that was possible, but he had. This morning I didn't want to get up, my stomach was cramping and I was in the worst mood possible. I didn't want to deal with Ashton at all. I didn't want to deal with anyone, not even Arlo and he was slowly becoming one of my favourite people.

"I'm proud, Ashton, you're amazing. So very, very cool. Well done." I looked at him and gave him a small slow clap, "you learned how to tell the time. This is quite the accomplishment for you."

He looked very amused at my comment, "just for that, please call me Ash. We're friends."

I rolled my eyes, "how about no."

"How about a bet?"

I looked at Arlo who was just watching the exchange. I think he noticed my bad mood and didn't want to get on my bad side.

"No, he doesn't learn from his mistakes." Arlo said.

"I wasn't going to ask that but thanks for the information. I was actually going to ask, do I want to be friends with him?"

Arlo shook his head, vehemently. "Don't."

Ashton wadded up a piece of paper and threw it at Arlo. Honestly, he was a child. A small tiny child that demanded all your attention or else he would throw a tantrum.

Or throw a piece of paper as he had just done.

I wondered if that made Arlo the dad. He was definitely the dad friend.

"I'm one-hundred percent sure that you," Ashton pointed at Arlo, "are supposed to be on my side."

Arlo rolled his eyes, "Jaylene is my new friend. My nicer friend so no. Also, I'm pretty angry at you."

Ashton waved his hands dismissively, "it's all in good fun. I don't think Golden got into much trouble anyway."

"Actually, I did."

"Liar."

Now it was my turn to roll my eyes, "why would I lie?"

He shrugged, "why would you get into trouble. I'm sure that must have been the first time you had ever done anything remotely bad. It's not like the party was all night long anyway" he frowned and muttered, "wasn't even a good party."

I got angrier at every single word he said and I suddenly I burst. "What is your problem?" 

It wasn't loud but it was angry, and I could feel tears trying to escape my eyes.