17 || sleep is for the weak, and sadly I am not

Before I knew it, Thursday night had arrived, and I was unable to sleep.

I wasn't sure why but all I could think about was The Accident.

At least that's what I called it.

We were at my Aunty Krisha's house and she was having a one of our usual family functions. She had a huge backyard with a place to barbeque and another area where the kids could run around and get up to mischief.

Not that the kids were left unattended. I spent a lot of my time babysitting them because I seemed to offend anyone and everyone I speak to, especially my aunts and uncles. I just had this ... uncanny ability to inspire hatred. I guess that would be my superpower. I'm not sure what good I could do for that, but it would make me an interesting anti-hero.

I was playing with about six kids while my brother stood with my uncle Sam across from us. Every once in a while, I would look up and Scott would give me a small wave.

I don't know what possessed me, but I looked around, ignoring the kids for a little while. Everything was calm, there were some aunties gossiping inside the house. A couple trying to seem like they weren't arguing but definitely where. My cousin, Shay was showing a video around to everyone and anyone that had gathered around her. She loved being the cnetre of attention and causing problems.

That should have been the red flag.

They kept on staring at Scott and I merely frowned. I didn't usually care about what Shay was saying but it was something about Scott and that got on my nerves.

I shook my head. I needed to stop thinking about that moment and what happened. Now was not the time to upset myself. I needed to sleep but my mind would stop wandering.

I thought about bothering Scott but it was pretty late. Tyrin would be exhausted from practice and I didn't really want to bother him. We were fake dating. It wasn't as if we were actually a couple. He only had to care about me in a friend way. He was my best friend but I knew he would be dead asleep. Especially at this time.

I wondered if that was bad way to think about it. If you needed to talk to a friend, it was a friend. Someone who you could rely on to some extent, but you shouldn't make them responsible for you. Not even if they were your significant other.

I sighed.

Taking out my phone, I contemplated who I could talk to. I knew immediately I wasn't going to message Ashton. Knowing him, he would take it as a reason to come over and I really didn't want his ugly mug sneaking into my house.

Okay, he wasn't ugly but I was still a little mad at him. It was lessening each and every time we spoke, but I still had like thirty percent anger.

I wondered if that was why I had so little friends. Was I just very unsociable and unapproachable?

I had a limited among of people to bother and be bothered by for nonsensical issues. Maybe that was a god thing?

I don't know. Maybe I was just bad with people and hated everyone. Or I just wasn't acclimated to ...people.

Then again, it could just be that I could only handle two people.

Life was weird but I did enjoy having laughter surround me. I was yet to hear Arlo laugh.

I frowned. Maybe I could message him? He did tell me that he had insomnia so sometimes he couldn't sleep.

Jay: Hey.

Almost immediately my phone vibrated.

Arlo: Sup, you alright? I thought you were a reasonable person who slept at a normal time.

Jay: I've decided to join your side. See what's going on this side of the world. It's weird. I think I prefer sleep.

Arlo: Then be my guest.

Arlo: If you can sleep, you should. I don't choose to not sleep. It's kind of sad

Jay: Yeah, I'm having a little bit of trouble today. I just can't sleep.

Arlo: Ah. I know that feeling.

Arlo: Would you like me to call?

Jay: Will you sing me to sleep if I say yes.

Arlo: ...

Arlo: I will answer yes depending on your answer to the next questions.

Jay: Which are?

Arlo: Do you like hearing things? I'm pretty sure my singing will make you deaf.

Jay: So you mean to tell me... you're not perfect.

Immediately after I sent that my phone rang, I answered, "hello?"

"Who said I'm perfect? Is it Ashton?"

I laughed, his voice was raspy, I thought he was sleeping and I had woken him up. I immediately felt bad.

"Are you sure you weren't asleep?" I asked softly.

"No, Jaylene. I was busy reading Romeo and Juliet. You sound tired so I could ask the same."

"Which part are you at?"

He paused, "is it bad if I said I was little behind?"

I shook my head then released he couldn't see me. I must have been tired, but I couldn't sleep.

"Same, you're actually making me feel better about my own inadequacy."

He paused even longer than before, "I'm not sure if that's a good thing. It doesn't sound like a good thing."

"It makes me feel better so yes. Anyway, you want to read Romeo and Juliet to me?"

He huffed, "you want me to basically read you a story... are you going to fall asleep?"

I yawned obscenely loud and on purpose, "I guess we'll see. Only one way to find out."

"Okay, Jaylene," he said, amusement coloring his voice. I grinned at my ceiling. He was cute.

The last thing I remember was his soft voice whispering, as my mind finally shut off, falling asleep to the sweetest boy I had ever known.