16 || getting real low

"Where's-"

"Tyrin?" Christo interrupted me. "He has detention."

I sat down with a sigh. Well, at least I had more own food today, so I didn't need to brave the line.

I took out a container from my bag and started eating.

"When are you two going to break up?"

"To spite you, never." I retorted without even looking at me. His foot nudged my shin and I looked up to glare at him.

Christo rolled his eyes. "It's so obvious that you don't even care about him."

"Christo, stop. Can't we get along just for once."

He sneered at me, "no. It's not fair, Tyrin cares so much for you but you're sleeping with two other people. Its right there, glaringly obvious but Tyrin cares for you. I guess that makes sense considering you've been friends for so long so he's giving you the benefit of the doubt."

My appetite had fled as Christo spoke. I knew this was what everyone thought of me but I though Christo knew me a bit better than that.

"Ok."

He slammed his hands on the table and the lunch room went quiet.

"That's not an answer. " He looked around, noticing he had everyone's attention. He spoke louder, "why don't you admit to everyone what you do. What you're like?"

"I'm ...like...human." I said softly.

I heard someone laugh. It wasn't a laugh I had ever heard before.

"Stop acting like you're some victim, Jaylene. You're such a fucking loser. I don't even know why you have any friends."

"I don't have any friends."

"Oh right. You just have friend with benefits. With anything that moves. Isn't that right?"

I closed my eyes. I wanted to leave, but if I did, someone was going to trip me and that would be even worse. It would bring even more attention to my inabilities.

So, I did what I was best at doing. Agreeing. I nodded, feeling disgusted with myself.

I saw something from my peripheral vision hurl towards my face and I flinched.

"Jaylene?"

It was Arlo. I faced him, "hi."

"I don't know if I'm making this worse."

"No idea," I pushed my lunch towards him. "would you like to try some hand made bread?"

He took it, tentively. "Christo left. By the way."

"Huh," I said, dazed. "I didn't even notice."

"Yeah, you were pretty deep in your head."

I felt tears clog my eyes. "I'm just so tired."

He wrapped his arm around me, and I knew it was going to make the rumours worse but I just couldn't care any less at this moment.

I leaned my head against his shoulder.

"Life is shit, Jay."

I let out a choked laugh at that. He was right. It was.

I moved away from him and watched as he tried hand made bread for the first time. His eyes light up with delight, "this is really good."

"Thanks," I said with a soft smile, "I made it."

We sat there talking about inconsequential things for a couple of minutes before Ashton and Carli joined us with Jesse and May. They were all speaking as if nothing had even happened.

Scott finally appeared, surprised that I wasn't with our usual group.

"What's up?"

They all greeted him, and Arlo told him to sit down and eat. I poked his thigh, hoping he would get the message and not tell Scott about what happened.

He smiled at me and nodded.

"I'm surprised Ashton didn't storm down with you. He follows you like a puppy, especially when I'm involved."

"That he does. I-" Arlo looked away. He was embarrassed. Instantly I had to know what made him so flustered.

"Tell me! Please. It would...make my day a little better."

Arlo huffed, "I'm not falling for your tricks, con-women."

I sighed, "I was manipulating you. I just wish I knew someone who would expose all your secrets."

"What are you talking-" I could see the exact moment he released what I was about to do. "Jaylene, please don't."

"Ash!" I called, using his nickname just to ensure I was getting on his good side. If there was anything I knew about friendship, was that you could get friends to embarrass the other if you played your cards right.

Just ask Tyrin. He'd do anything to embarrass me.

"Yes, Golden." He said.

"Why didn't you come and hug me"

"I could get a hug?"

"Well no, but what stopped you before."

Surprisingly it wasn't Ashton who replied but Carli, "he lost the arm wrestle."

I laughed, "you're serious?"

Ashton pouted, "only because he cheated."

"You want go again." Arlo called out, raising a brow. Dammit. Was I the only person who couldn't do that?

Ashton scratched the back of his head, "raincheck, bro. I'll take a rain check on that."

"Thought so." Arlo smirked and it was the hottest thing I had ever seen.