8. Scolding

Sitting in the waiting area of Fereprod Hospital are Innayo, Amal and Afnan. Afnan regained consciousness two hours ago before the drive from Kuje to Wuse.

Sa'eed and his wife, Halima rush into the waiting room. Halima quickly squats a bit.

"Ammi, good morning." Innayo who has been absent minded just pats her head in response. Halima hugs a crying Amal and a calm looking Afnan. Amal has been crying since they arrived at the hospital almost an hour ago.

Sa'eed hugs Innayo and keeps rocking them back and forth. After an hour, a fair Indian woman who seems to be in her late forties wearing a dawn blue and fuchsia pink saari coupled with a dawn blue dupatta and fuchsia pink loafers with a white lab coat that reaches her knees comes out with a small smile on her face.

Sa'eed immediately rushes to her. He's mad, psyched-up, pissed off, apoplectic even cheesed-off at his sister, but he can't afford to loose her. She's the closest to him among his three sisters and his human diary. She knows most of his secrets but not all. He can't tell her all.

She holds too much magnitude in his life despite the fact that their parents love Fatima way too much. She's their favorite and they always show it unintentionally. They won't know that they display their over affection for Fatima if no one points it out but who would. Amal and Afnan don't seem to notice talk more of mind.

But Sa'eed minds alot. He minds too much for his own good. His parents might think that he's a man and men don't need too much attention, love, care and affection but they do. It's not only women that need to be shown love, men are also humans with emotions.

"Is she okay? Where is she? What's wrong with her?" He asks all at once. He can't help but be nervous. He has been dying to ask someone the last question but the only people with a correct answer are in no state to give him an answer.

"She's okay but she lost a lot of blood and needs a transfusion. She has sprained her ankle and has two head injuries; one, minor which is a little above her neck at the back of her head and a major one which is right in the middle of her head. We had to cut her hair as it is too bushy to give us enough access to the mid scalp.

"She also twisted her wrist. Those are the injuries. But for now all we need is blood. The blood bank here is under reconstruction and luckily, her blood group is O+ so it should be easy to get. Anyone who is O+ and is healthy enough to transfuse should follow me."The frail looking doctor turns to go but stops on her heels.

"And also, you need to sign some papers for the transfusion." She hands over a small bundle of papers with a blue plastic cover to Sa'eed while Halima follows her to give out her blood.

In the room where Halima's blood has been taken for testing a sharp pain travels from Halima's lower abdomen to her back and then to her stomach up to her chest then neck. She falls to the ground with a thud and a nurse in white knee length dress and cap perched on her head and a white lacy hose rushes over to Halima and helps her up.

"What's wrong madam? Are you okay? Are you sure you want to go on with this transfusion? If you're sick then it's not advisable for you to have your blood transfused." The nurse says to a pained Halima.

"I'm just on my period. Nothing to be disturbed about." Halima replies with a small smile.

"Well madam, it's very risky to transfer blood while on menses. You will loose way too much blood both naturally and artificially and might also need a transfer yourself." The nurse says giving Halima a worried look.

"No need to worry. I am okay it's just that whenever I'm on my menses i become extremely sick. Thanks for caring."

"No problem ma'am. But I suggest you see a gynecologist. We have one here and she's a lady. I'm a gynecologist in training myself but if you don't mind can I ask you some questions?"