12. Miscarriage

They all exchange pleasantries and start conversing among themselves.  

Fatima suddenly turns quiet. She's feeling dizzy and she knows what that means so she's trying her best to tone it down. Not today of all days.

She quickly searches for her Musk. As she finds, it she rushes to Afnan's room and rubs it all over her. By then everyone is already moving to the other side of the house that was once on lease, but got renovated just before Sa'eed's marriage to Halima. They would've used it to entertain the guests coming for Amal's lefe but because Innayo and Abba don't want anyone from their extended family to know of Fatima's condition, they didn't.

Fatima suddenly feels like something is overpowering her and she can't fight it so just let it take over. Her eyes turn to an off-white color, her pupils totally disappearing. But what has triggered it? It must be her grand aunts talks about her being a prostitute.

She grunts and peels her headtie off her head and rushes to where the staircase is located. Afrah, Aneesah and Ameela are standing there with Afrah being the closest to the stairs. Fatima pushes her and she rolls down to the last of the steps.

Another powerful feeling overpowers her and she falls to the ground with a thud, shivering grunting and shouting. Then she finally faints. Everyone is surprised, what could be wrong with her?

Afrah is lying with a pool of blood surrounding her. Aneesah quickly rushes to her sister's aid while Ameela goes to Fatima. Someone heard the commotion so the person called Innayo who's now rushing to see what's happening.

Seeing Fatima and Afrah she knows exactly what's going on so she calls Sheikh Akhmad who's staying just a few minutes away from them. He rushes and takes Fatima into her room. After an hour of Ruqiyya Fatima finally faints.

Sheikh Akhmad lifts her up and lays her on the bed then sprays some perfumed Musk around the room. Innayo rushes in with an electric incense burner with Black seed powder in her hands. She sprinkles some of it in the incense burner and leaves it in the room.

Afrah is being attended to by a doctor. The doctor and Sheikh Akhmad but come out at once. Sheikh Akhmad speaks first.

"Two Jinns attacked her and they were fighting each other. But they've both left. If she's going to that rehabilitation center I suggest she goes as soon as possible." Innayo thanks him. She offers him some money which he rejects and he leaves.

"I'm sorry to say, but she has lost one of the babies. She'll have to be taken to the hospital for close monitoring if not, she might loose the other." Innayo pays her and the doctor leaves. Innayo goes to meet a hysterical Afrah crying to the extent of choking. She quickly offers her water. After drinking, Afrah marches to Fatima's room ignoring the pain in her lower abdomen. She shakes Fatima up from her sleep. Once Fatima is up Afrah lands a deafening slap on her face making her cry in anguish.

Pa!

The sound resonates through the room, hitting the four walls and bouncing right back. The impact of the sound on Fatima's cheek make her jerk up from her slumber. She holds her cheek while Afrah clutches her lower abdomen before landing another resounding slap on her face, then another. Another. And another and another.

Afrah doesn't stop slapping a perplexed crying Fatima until Aneesah pulls her away. She succumbs to her sister's touch and starts crying.

"Haba Fatima. What did I ever do to you? Haka kawai you pushed me down the stairs. Now I have only one baby in me. Ten years Fatima. Ten years of trying, failing, crying, giving up and trying again, I finally got what I've been yearning for. What I've been dying to have. And then you come and do this? Haba Fatima. Wai have I ever offended you ne nikam?" Afrah falls to the ground and starts crying all over.

Aneesah picks her up and takes her outside. Not before stopping to give Fatima a disgusted look. Ameela's baby runs inside Fatima's room with small baby thumps giggling with Ameela shouting after him.

"Haidar! Come back here. War. Dalu. Haccu fah." She says coming inside while Haidar shakes his head no and giggles. She finally carries him and goes out not also before giving Fatima a disgusted look. But how is it Fatima's fault? The poor lady wants nothing but to get rid of this Jinn but it is just not working.

She lays down on her bed trying to get Afrah's words out of her head.

Pa!

Muhammad slaps Rabani.

"What is your problem? Just why, why did you do that? Do you know you're making her hate me more? She has never seen me yet I can bet you my whole life that she hates me right now. She must think I was the one that pushed her cousin down the stairs. I don't even want to know what's happening back at that house.

"It's either she's crying her lungs out or she's getting insulted for what you did! First you brought her here for marriage. Who does that? Did I tell you that I don't know the way to their house or what? Then you went ahead to possess her and push her cousin down the stairs. If i hadn't noticed that you were not at Shale's naming ceremony and come to drag you out of her body only Allah knows what you would have done." Muhammad seethes. He's tired of this game Rabani is playing with the woman he loves, his Fatima.

"Stop mentioning that thing you mentioned here. If you're a muslim then we're not!" Rabani says coolly. What she just said has angered Mahmoud. He picks her up with one hand.

"Don't make me do what I did to that Amir that tried to touch my Fatima." And he drops her down before walking into the tree trunk.

Rabani smirks. She disappears into the bush as she hears Malam mai yanka calling for her.