28. Dreams

"Why would you let her go Aqsam? Why? You know you love her, so why?"  Khadija says. She's wearing a white flowing gown, her face devoid of any makeup and her hair flowing with her gown.

"I don't want to cheat on you. I've loved you and I still do. I also love her but I love you more." Aqsam is sitting on the ground. How did he even get there?

"I'm dead Aqsam, you have to let me go and go find love again. Fatima is the best for you. We both know that you love her and she loves you too. Go to Nigeria and mend your mistakes. You're making a huge mistake by letting her go. Your biggest mistake is even letting your family go. Aqsam when will you let go of the past? Don't you know that holding unto a painful past is like holding unto a hot red charcoal? The more you hold unto it, the more it burns through you. Let go and live, live your life Aqsam.

"When was the last time you spoke to your mother because of some past that is neither hers nor your fault. Remember, everything that happened is meant to happen. It has already been written in your destiny so don't blame anyone. Let go. Goodbye." Khadija starts to float away and Aqsam tries to follow her.

Aqsam jerks up sweaty. He closes his eyes, muttering Du'as under his breath. It was all a dream. His heart is beating so fast it seems like it'll bounce out of his chest. After he has calmed his raging heart, what Khadija said in his dream suddenly hits him like a truck filled with heavy loads.

He goes over what she said three times and then realizes she was right. He's hurting right now. He doesn't have anyone in this world who he can share his joys and sadness with. His mother is over there in Nigeria craving to just see him. Just to see him while his here acting like the douche bag he is.

It's about time he rectifies his mistakes.

"Fatima, life isn't all about people accepting you. It's more about who you are and what you decide to be. The fact that Aqsam rejected you doesn't mean everyone else will reject you. I don't have much time left with you but you need to forget Aqsam and live your life, go find love again and see where this love takes you to. Don't allow people's judgment to make you lose yourself or act improperly. Make good decisions about your life and trust Allah I need to leave. Goodbye." AbdulHalim disappears no sooner than he appeared.

Fatima sits there crying. He left her again. That's all they know how to do, come and go. What's the use of his advice? Absolutely nothing! She's going to tell Abba to get her married to any man of his choice. As long as it makes his happy.

Fatima opens her eyes as she realizes she fell asleep while crying after she had spoken to Halima. She smiles sadly as she remembers her dream. It's just a dream but if it was the former Fatima, she'd heed to whatever was said in the dream. But this Fatima knows that if she heeds to it, there might be inevitable consequences. So instead, she'll just go home, apologize to Amal for making her hate her, then tell Abba to get her married to whoever he wishes.

What's the use of following his advice if she knows that at the end of the day, Abba will be disappointed in her? Her mother is already bed ridden, her sister hates her. Except if she wants something that will push her to commit suicide to happen, it'd be better if she just gave up.

"Please put on your seat belts, we're about to land in Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport." Fatima doesn't listen to the remaining things the pilot is saying. She puts on her seat belt and puts her iPad in her hand bag then zips it. Once she sees that they've landed.

She removes her seat belt and takes her handbag before getting down. In her mind, all she hopes is that Nigeria will be nicer to her this time around.

Amal looks around to make sure everything is perfect. She's not aware of Sa'eed's presence in the house so to her, she's home alone. She came to school a few hours ago to see that according to her calculations, today will be the day Fatima will come back to Nigeria.

She had called Halima and asked if Fatima had called but the response she got was no. Then after few minutes, Halima called again to tell her that she just got off the phone with Fatima.

So now here she is getting ready to accept her elder sister wholeheartedly and apologize for hating her for no reason. Then she'll explain to her why she hated her and whatnot. The house is spotless and smells nice. Milk dipped brownies and food Amal ordered from a restaurant are awaiting Fatima's arrival.

Now all she needs to do is call Na'eema and ask if they're about to land so that she can get going to the airport. She's planning on bringing her sister home herself. And she has promised herself that she will get rid of Dhun Nurayn once she has explained herself to Fatima.

She hears the oven chime the same time her phone rings. She quickly picks the call seeing it's Na'eema as she walks to the oven. She looks at the cake and dips a skewer in it. Seeing that is came out dry, she allows it to cool as she exchanges pleasantries with Na'eema.

"We just landed fah. Should I tell Fatima you're coming to pick her?" Amal yells a No.

"Why? What's going on with you all? Is there any problem? And i heard Fatima saying Adda Afrah hates her now in her sleep when I went to adjust her. What's happening?"

"Look, please just stall Fatima for me. I'm on my way. And as for all your questions, I promise to answer every single one without adding an ounce of lie. You have my word." Amal drapes a black veil and picks her car key and purse. She drives off after cutting the call.