Chapter 21: Mother's concern

(Baek Eun-Kyung's POV)

"Yes, please send me the remaining documents regarding her recovery, Yoo-jung's too. His company president and the young man himself gave me the authority to go through the documents, my secretary will mail you the remnants. Thank you very much, have a nice day", I clicked the red icon and swiped over it to end the call, as I turned around one hand on my hip and the other, thumb still against the red icon.

"You seem busy lately, I didn't know Yoo-jung's documents were your concern as well", green eyes with a hint of brown stared at me, mix of curiosity and suspicion in them while the young man, specifically my youngest son, sat calmly on the chair across from me while I stood next to the window.

"And I didn't know your concerns were my concerns. Why did you stay after the meeting? I didn't recall inviting you to have a talk with me, did I?", I crossed my arms eyeing him as well with the same suspicion he directed to me.

"Oh wow, now I need an invitation to have a talk with my own mother? You sure were not the warmest person when it came to showing your feelings frankly but now you seem even more frozen and strict than you had ever been", he sighed avoiding my gaze while he leaned his head on his hand that was supported by the armrest.

I do not remember teaching him to have such a sharp tongue and inadequate manners.

Is this what they call a child in his rebellious stage?

"You grew up quite honest and frank these past two years, coming to me now and talking while back then I was calling you like maniac worrying about you. Times sure change", under my left arm I started tapping my index-finger against my other arm, in a way Minho wouldn't see it.

Don't become weak, don't show your soft spot anymore.

He was quiet, not a single sound, he just looked irritated and speechless, nothing more nothing less.

Like the pouty child you always were, seems like you didn't really change that much.

I closed my eyes gulping down the painful memory of a way younger version of him, sitting in that very manner in front of me and his late father, eyes not lively as now rather dead and apathetic.

The stench of wet dirt and weird-smelling cologne was stuck on him back then, I will never forget that stench, I wanted to strangle those men with my own two hands if my husband wouldn't have prohibited me to see them.

Minho's legs were so small they couldn't even reach the floor back then but now look at him, trying to find a place where to put him, being honest and very talkative.

' "What did he say?", I repeated my questions several times, there were more tears it felt like I had cried out all the body liquid I had and still I wouldn't shake off the feeling that there was still some spare to cry for another round.

Minho was sitting in the interrogation room, not able to see us but we could see him, hair dishevelled, shirt all messy even torn at some places, his tiny legs scratched and bruised.

And there he sat like a lifeless little doll, not caring about a single thing, not even kicking his legs back and forth, no hint of nervousness, that pretty face of his dirty and bruised, dried blood close to his nose.

"My poor baby, my poor baby", I couldn't hold back touching the window where my poor little child was sitting touching it as if I could reach him that way, I knew I wouldn't but it made me feel like I could at least be able to hold him in my arms soon.

"Your behaviour", the deep voice next to me spoke up for the first time not leaving the child out of his sight while he referred to me," a member of the Baek family should never show such behaviour, remember? Affection is the first step to show weakness, the first step into abyss. If people would see you crying and caring for your sons the way you do, clinging desperately and wanting to do anything just to keep them safe, it is natural that people would try to use that weakness to get either on your good-side or take advantage of it. You may not realize it now, but a name comes with big responsibility. I am not blaming you but I am only trying to advise you how to take care of this kind of family since it seems you are not fully used to hold the name Baek", he had clasped his hands behind his back tapping inconspicuously one finger on his wrist as he turned around.