chapter 4

Aubery POV

Yesterday's shift went really well, Jane then came at 2pm to take over from me and I was able to go home. The events of the hardware store still buzzing around in my head, deciding to push to thoughts away, as I tend to obsess over the small things, I stuff my hands into the pockets of my jumper and walk faster.

Yes I am running late. I am meant to be working at the bookstore today. I am about 10 minutes away. And yeah my shift starts in 5 minutes. I love this for me. 

Hopefully today's shift will just consist of me in the book store, no excursions for me, had one that will suffice many. 

With my speedy walking I manage to open the doors to the bookstore only 1 minute late, panting quite attractively (sarcasm). 

"Ah dear there you are, was wondering if you were going to show up!" Susan says chuckling and turning around from her spot behind the counter. Somehow I feel like she means it, and it really isn't just a joke. Yeah can't be 'late' again. 

"Hah sorry I'm here!" I say, still trying to catch my breath. Jesus christ maybe I need to start going to the gym or something. Hmm lol no.

She tells me to just get some books from the back and start stocking the shelves, so I do just that. 

~1 hour later~

Helping a customer checkout, I hear the door to the shop open and glance briefly. Wait what the actual? Doing a double take I see it is silver eyes. Ian. Ohhhh shoot. I was just going to pretend I didn't see him. Avoidance is key ladies. But his piercing silver eyes were staring directly at me. His jaw clenching as I helped this guy- Derek, Dan, shit he told me his name oops- check out with his books on Dungeons and Dragons. Lowkey, wait very much highkey I want to try playing Dungeons and Dragons it looks really fun. I was about to ask Dylan here but well silver eyes showed up and is literally staring daggers my direction. 

He breaks his deadly stares and trudges towards the bookshelves at the back of the shop. Huh deja vu. But I will man my station, stay by the counter, plus it is Susan doing the walking around at the moment not me. 

~10 minutes later~

Shit has this guy set up camp here, where the hell has he gone. He is yet to emerge from the maze of shelves. I have stayed by the counter for the past 10 minutes, refusing to walk around. I've seen Susan come in and out of the place I saw silver go and looking increasingly frustrated each time, making it hard for me not to start laughing. 

Susan comes out once again looking frustrated but walking towards me, and I try desperately to suppress my smile and laughter. 

"That Gray boy is just sitting there" she mutters angrily. "He is just reading! Not even going to buy the book!" she says getting increasingly angry. "You," she says making eye contact with me again. "You. Make him move, or at least stop him from reading our precious brand new books. He will ruin me. Just sitting there reading our books. Probably breaking the spine for all we know. I have tried with the monster Aubery, I have tried. Please." she says practically begging at the last part. 

Damn Susan "Ok sure thing." I say to calm her down, but no it is not 'sure thing' because this boy is proving to be trouble, in relation to the fact he keeps making me have to talk to him. 

Trudging down the forsaken isle I am met with a similar sight to yesterday. Silver sits, more like spreads himself out, on my favourite chair and has his feet resting on the table. Real classy silver. Real classy. 

"You know not many people like you kind" I say to him whilst walking a bit closer. This causing him to look up and the brown curls to fall from his eyes and frame his face. Oh shit that sounds bad maybe I should say something else before he thinks I'm like being a dick.