chapter 13

Aubrey POV

 On Monday night Ian continued to text me, but I refused to respond. I just really don't need someone so toxic, nice to me one minute and then mean the next. Sure I'll be civil with him but I don't want to keep putting myself in the situation where he can hurt me. Because Monday hurt me a lot more than I like to admit.

Tuesday and Wednesday there was radio silence. No text messages and none of his scary 'friends' at school. There was a small part of me that was worried about him, but being stubborn I tried to push that feeling down and enjoy the fact that he wasn't at the school to throw in more random variables. 

Today is Thursday and Spencer pulled up to the school giving both Dan and I a lift, while we were blasting Avril Lavigne and singing along. Surprisingly Dan was also mouthing the words in the backseat. 

I've gotten to know all of them a little better. Rachel is so bright and has such a genuine heart that I have been able to see over these past few days. We have been texting pretty much everyday and working on our history project together. 

I've been getting the indication that Jay is the class clown but also the ladies man since he is drop dead gorgeous and is the quarterback on the schools football team. He is so charming and always makes me laugh at the stupidest things. Jay and I have Calculus together with Dan which is weirdly quite an awkward pairing. I would think since they are in a friendship group together they are quite close, yet it seems strange how they interact.

Dan is really shy, but we have slowly been feeling more comfortable with each other. It seems Dan and I get each other more as we are both shy people by nature. So, often when we are together we are both comfortable in silence. Dan and I have geography together and he is very intelligent. Yet Calculus is always awkward. 

I sit in the middle between Jay and Dan. Jay is always uncharacteristically quiet and Dan keeps his eyes focused on the teacher the entire time. The first few times I would try and start conversation with either of them, I would catch them looking at each other briefly and then quickly diverting their attention to literally anything else. 

Calculus also has a lot of girls who obviously have crushes on Jay and they always shoot me dirty looks. They always blow Jay kisses or do something flirty, to which Jay would usually respond with equal charm but whenever this happens in Calculus he looks over to Dan and then becomes very interested in the work. Usually I'm the awkward one. 

I've wanted to ask Spencer or Rachel what's up between the two of them. But it feels like neither of them know as they don't have classes with the two and whenever we sit in the group they include everyone with no sense of walking on eggshells. Yet they could know something more, I just don't want to embarrass Jay or Dan or stick my nose where I shouldn't. As curious as I am.

Spencer parks the car and he rushes inside late for some meeting with a teacher before class. And Dan and I walk beside each other to our first class. Calculus. Yay!  

"Never picked Spencer for an Avril fan" I muse whilst walking alongside Dan into the school.

He laughs and says "Yeah, you'll be surprised his music taste is pretty eclectic" 

I laugh back and smile at him. 

We make our way to the classroom and take our usual seats. Dan and I chat whilst the teacher gets ready at the front and the rest of the class chats. Everyone stops when Jay comes rushing into the room, sweaty still from practice this morning. I can feel Dan next to me tense up and then look down at his paper. 

Jay makes some cheeky comments with the teacher up the front before she scolds him "Sit down mister"

"Calm your panties woman!" Jay chuckles making his way to take the seat next to me. You can see all the girls trying to act cool as he walks by. Yet he pays no attention to them, having his gaze focused on a hunched over Dan instead.