chapter 31

Aubrey POV

After Ian dropped me home I couldn't quell the butterflies that since I met Ian have set camp in my stomach. I've been starting to think of Ian as a bear, he is ferocious and terrifying on the outside but really he is just a big ol' softie. He is my bear. He makes me feel so appreciated and loved, but it was hard to deny that feeling that he was hiding something. 

With every question it felt there was a thin layer disguising the truth. Simple questions like 'how long have you lived in the mansion?' were unnecessarily brushed over, this making me restrain on questioning how a Dad who owns a small hardware store has a mansion like that, made me restrain for now at least. A silk tarp so carefully thrown over what he wishes to keep secret, a beautiful distraction so I might not notice. But I have. Unless I am being completely paranoid. 

The rest of the week passed like a dream, if my life were a movie this week would have been that montage of the 'honeymoon' phase Ian and I were going through. It really didn't feel like it was going to end. He would pick me up and drop me to school always brining me a morning hot chocolate and kiss. 

When we would have english together we would sit at the front, something he claims he has never done before, and as I would try to concentrate he would always distract me and make me giggle. Every time the teacher went to tell us off Ian would shoot him a deathly glare that would just make Mr Smith cough and then continue the lesson. Further evidencing my case how Ian Gray is infact a bear. 

Ian would disappear from school after lunch as he said he had to go deal with stuff, again with the mystery, but he would always return to take me home even bringing an afternoon snack. Probably trying to distract me from asking too many questions, like where the hell have you been and like I have to ask today "What the hell happened to your face?". 

As I got into the car I saw he was sporting a purple bruise on his right eye and a cut on his upper left arm. Ian leaned over to buckle my seatbelt, another thing he won't stop doing, and he simply responded with dismissive wink "Should have seen the other guy". 

"Ian you idiot!" I say turning to face Ian and bringing my hands to cradle his face and assess for more injury.

He looks me deeply in the eyes and sighs "Angel please I'm fine" whilst bringing his hands to encase mine.

"Who punched you?" I question getting frustrated and weirdly protective over Ian.

Ian chuckles seeing this side of me and the genuine anger I have towards the person "Please baby don't worry"

"I will worry Ian! Your face... does it hurt?" I huff swiping the hair so I could see his eyes clearly and expose the black eye. He starts kissing my hands trying to distract me and I give into it melting into his touch. "Tell me!" I whine again.

"Angel it was just some idiots who were looking for a little tussle" he sighs brushing the hair behind my ears.

I try to stifle a giggle "Tussle"

"What?" he questions his face turning into a confused pout.

"Such a weird word" I giggle, looking into his eyes that are gazing at me with such adoration.

He chuckles and brings his head down so our foreheads are resting on each other. 

"Come on take me home, and you're coming inside because I'm going to clean you up." I say pulling away and sitting back into my seat.  I look over to him and then notice on his collarbone another cut but this one is bleeding. "IAN? What the hell you have one that is bleeding!" I say leaning back over to get a closer look.

Ian chuckles and brings his hand to my shoulder and pushes me back to my seat. "When we get to your house angel" 

I huff in response and settle back into the chair. I look out the window as people flow out of the school gates.