chapter 35

Aubrey POV

Shit biscuit. That's all my mind is repeating as I stand in the mirror staring at my 'date'/hangout thing outfit, to see Spencer. He said it was just going to be a casual dinner at one of his favourite diners. 

I decide I have to at least cute while I am internally battling my anxieties and indulging my people pleasing tendencies to not upset Spencer but also to try and not upset Ian. Even though Ian and I are on a break? I smooth out my blue denim jeans and cuff them so you can see my dinosaur socks and sigh as my mind tumbles over my overthinking.

 Even though Ian and I are on a break? I smooth out my blue denim jeans and cuff them so you can see my dinosaur socks and sigh as my mind tumbles over my overthinking

the top part of Aubrey's outfit, she is wearing dark blue denim mom jeans

Ian last night texted me goodnight, it was sweet but also like dude give a gal some space, I literally watched you shoot someone and found out you're in a gang. I'm resilient but I'm going to to need time. I kind of panicked when he sent that to me so I sent a thumbs up emoji, I didn't want to leave him on read but also didn't want to respond all flirty or whatever. Ahhh I'm panicking thinking about it. 

I've decided to treat this as a friend date. I made it pretty clear with Spencer that things are still sensitive with Ian but he insisted this was just to get my mind off it and to see "how are real man should treat a woman". Ok is it bad I internally cringe gagged when he said that and struggled to keep a straight face?

 My life has gotten unnecessarily complicated and serious since moving to America. I have always been the kind of girl to keep things light hearted. So, my first boyfriend turning out to be a in a gang and my best friend trying to prove his worth for my return of his affections kinda has made things intense. Oh and don't forget the whole thing with Riley.

I jumped when I heard the doorbell, but immediately ran down the stairs to be greeted by a wide smiling Spencer. 

"Hey princess" he smiles, which is infectious causing me to return his big smile.

"Heyy" I say looking down and playing with my fingers, getting awkward- I'm really good at that.

"The diner awaits!" he chuckles and holds out his arm for me to hold. I smile up at him and his ability to easily make me calm. He has always done that and was really helpful on those first few days of school in relaxing me and calming me whenever I would get anxious or overwhelmed. Especially when Ian was busy being an asswipe... an asswipe who was trying to protect me though. Dammit. 

After about 15 minutes we arrive at the diner. Call me crazy but as we were driving there was this black car that was following behind us, the same black car that is always parked across from my house and come to think of it anywhere I am. I'm no good at recognising cars but recognise it by the small but noticeable scratch just above one of the wheels. You know what, I probably am just crazy lol I think to shrug off the uneasy feeling. 

We find a table that overlooks the street where I can see the suitor of my paranoia, the black car with the ominous scratch parked just outside a pharmacy.