chapter 16

Aubrey POV

The car ride is silent, and the awkwardness is palpable. I am pissed and hurt, but at least now I am warm. I decide that I am just going to be cold, so he can't see how much he hurt me.

I focus my attention out the window and could feel Ian staring at me from time to time. What the hell does this guy want? Is he trying to pull some trick on me? Maybe deceive me. Dammit. 

The rain begins to dissipate and by the time we reach the house the sky is clear. Oh now it decides not to rain great, this could have not happened like 10 minutes ago??

The car pulls to a stop outside my house. I turn to see Ian already looking at me with an apprehensive gaze.

I look him directly in the eye, trying to be as confident as possible and say "Thank you" and make a move to open the door. I pop the lock and then hear the click of it locking again. I pop the lock open again and the hear the click of it lock. I do this another time before I turn to look at Ian who is looking at me with a small smile and I return it with a look of realised contempt

"Thank you, but I want to leave now please" I say calmly.

"Angel we need to talk" Ian sighs

"I'm getting real fucking sick of talking" I snap at Ian, I never usually say the f-word but I am just so fed up.

He looks stunned "Please just let me explain" he pleads with me. I feel like I can't keep up, I feel myself about to cry but I just rub my eyes and compose myself. I get a little scared hoping he doesn't pull the shit he did in the library. 

"I'm good thanks" I say stubbornly and move to pop the lock, which just locks again.

I sigh in frustration and look at him. "Please not now"  because I feel like I want to cry and I don't want you to see you hurt me, I think but don't say.

Ian looks like he is about to disagree but then his phone starts to ring. He answers it then says angrily into the phone "What the fuck?"

As the person on the other end talks I see Ian get more concerned and he replaces it with anger. After a few minutes of Ian swearing at whoever was on the phone, and Ian continuing to lock the door every time I try and pop the lock he finally ends the call.

"We are talking tonight. I am coming over later and we will talk" he says looking me directly in the eyes. Wow way to invite yourself over.

"I don't think so" I utter back, meeting his eye contact.

"Hmmm I think so" he replies, obviously still tense from his phone call.

I squint my eyes at him attempting to be intimidating. He softens his face and looks down with a small smile, before he then meets my gaze. "I have to go, but angel I need to explain something to you. It will explain my behaviour". 

He reaches forward and grabs my hand, I flinch slightly but his tight grip stops me from pulling it completely back. He leans forward to press a kiss to my hands and says "But in no way excuse it" he looks up with his breath still fanning across the back of my hand and says "I have every intention of making it up to you."

I look at him with bewildered eyes as he does this.  I guess I am curious to hear what he has to say. But I still have the strong inclination to distance myself from him as he has the ability to break down my walls and hurt me, more than anyone else I've ever met. I'm scared if I get any closer he will just hurt me more. 

I hesitantly remove my hand from his hold and can hear him let out a sigh, but I ignore it.

"Ok" I respond and then turn to unlock the door, and this time he doesn't relock it. I exit the car and Ian gets out as well. He goes to his boot and gets out my bag and the brings me my wet clothes.