10. Tidal wave of feelings

Hiyoko stared down at the small, warm phone clutched in her equally small hands. Today was definitely the weirdest first day of school she had ever had, drama had already brewed in class 78's Dorm 4, or as Hiyoko knew it, her new home for the next 3 years. Slowly she scrolled through her Instagram feed as she looked at every post uninterested, soon she found she had migrated to the search bar, typing in who she wanted to find.

"...Junko..."

"... Eno... shima..."

"Aha! @Junko.enoshima found you whore" Hiyoko mumbled to herself.

It wasn't hard to find the fashionista, her 27 million followers made it pretty obvious it was the right Junko. Hiyoko scrolled through her profile, nothing she posted would even make you think she liked girls. The short blonde dwelled on the thought of someone as timid and shy as Mikan some one such as Junko. It didn't add up at all. She soon realised there was no use in just waiting around, she decided to properly look through her new shared "apartment". The basics were all there, kitchen, bathroom, living room, 4 bedrooms, and a laundry room, nothing special by Hiyoko's high standards. However, anything was better than her old house, she couldn't even bear to call it a home while her old hag of a grandmother lived there with her. She once again pushed the thoughts away as she say Mahiru sitting in the living room, flicking through channel after channel. The blonde sat next to the taller redhead
"Hey Mahiru..."

The silence was almost deafening for Hiyoko.

"Hey..."

Hiyoko was prepared to start the conversation up herself but as if on cue, Mahiru spoke.

"God Hiyoko... I think I messed up. Maybe Junko is loving and nice, maybe... but she just- she just doesn't seem at all like it. You've seen her interviews and such, right Hiyoko?"

"Yeah she does seem like a total butch in those!" Hiyoko nodded along to Mahiru's words.

"Yes, exactly. But now Mikan hates me! The first day of school hasn't even ended and I've already ruined a potential friendship" Mahiru sighed at the thought. Hiyoko had never been good at comforting, but she tried her best with Mahiru.

"Like you said, it's only the first day of school. There's still a whole 'nother 3 years where you'll be stuck in this cramped dorm with her! I'm sure she'll probably forgive you by next week or something stupid like that."

Mahiru sighed again but this time a small smile crept onto her face. Hiyoko made her smile. She didn't know why she felt so happy making Mahiru smile, maybe she really did have a crush?

No. No way am I gay! that's disgusting!

Mahiru lent over a little to where Hiyoko sat, giving her a quick tight hug before she lifted herself off the couch and onto her feet. "Goodnight Hiyoko, and thank you" She smiled and walked to her room.

This was different.

The moment Hiyoko has just shared with Mahiru was oh so different.
The hug she gave her before when Mikan was mad was simply some kind of instinct, maybe to distract or calm Mahiru? she didn't know. This hug however was different. Sincere, friendly, kind, warm, light, the words rushed at Hiyoko like a tidal wave. Sweeping over her as butterflies rose in her stomach. This had to be it. The realisation hit her like a shot put to the head.
(yes I meant what I said😻)
Hiyoko had a crush on Mahiru Koizumi, it hadn't even been a day yet deep down she knew.

Hiyoko awoke the next morning, light flushing in through her half open blinds as if it was water washing up on a beach. The feeling still hadn't gone away, the feeling of a crush. It felt disgusting or at least that's what she tried to convince herself. Sliping on her new uniform, consisting of a brown blazer, white shirt and a matching brown skirt, she left her room to the kitchen. Hiyoko had almost forgot she didn't live alone, 3 other girls lived in the same dorm. Mikan Tsumiki sat at the kitchen bench, staring right into the short blonde girls soul.