Daisies

I can't explain my defeatist relationship attitude towards him, I just knew he was unavailable in certain aspects and other aspects I would never ever see. He was very private. I would be too in his shoes, but it seemed to get old very quickly. I enjoyed my freedom - he didn't have much freedom at all. This was something new, exciting, and challenging for both of us ... and he would throw Cupid's arrow first.

-*

It's never expected when someone takes your breath away. Steals your heart he already had. It was a few days later, the first day of the weekend, and I was happy he was busy. I had gotten a lot of things done; and around mid-day, I received a phone call from my apartment's office.

"I need you to come sign for your package." The office supervisor demanded, and she did NOT sound happy.

"I haven't ordered anything..." i tried to explain, racking my brain for missed impulse purchases.

She read my full name. "That you?" She rudely asked.

"Yes ma'am."

"Then I will see you in a moment, wont I?"

I stared at the phone that she had the audacity to speak to me that way. I mimicked her as I slid my shoes on and trudged the short walk to the office. It was a nice and cool Saturday.

I opened the door to the office and the smell of fresh flowers was overpowering.

My heart sank to my stomach.

Oh no.

"In the mail room!" She smiled from her desk and pointed with her pen with a large smile down the hallway. My head turned to look down the hallway. Was it too late it send it back?

I slowly walked to the mail room, my heart pounding with anticipation. It smelled so good inside and the walk closer was strangely calming.

I spotted numerous various flowers as I stepped into the room, myself covering my mouth as I stood in awe alone at what he had done. On the island in the middle of the tiny room were wrapped bouquets. Numerous ones, stacked. The floor was littered with other glass vases stuffed with beautiful flowers. No two flowers were alike.

I couldn't carry all this back!

It was a dream haze as maintenance helped carry my flowers to my apartment. I was afraid someone was doing to think someone in my family had died. It was just so, random. I had never gotten flowers before.

After moving the flowers to my apartment... I sat on my couch figuring out what to do. I needed more vases. My living room looked and smelled like a field of flowers.

Where was the card? Was there a card?

After placing 3 bouquets in water, I found the card. It was placed with the sunflower, clipped to that stem.

You said you never had gotten flowers before.

So I got you one of every kind from the store.

I laughed at this typed computer message. I was speechless,  and stood staring at the words as I reread them endless times. He was truly crazy.

*-

Days progressed, and I kept up with the flowers like a mother nursing her babies. As they wilted I removed them from their bouquets. I decided to take all the flowers and dry them once they wilted, then crush them up and throw them into an actual field and hopefully they would grow.

The third day after the flower bomb exploded in my living room, he called me.

I of course missed the call. He didn't leave a message but he called again - and actually left a real voice message.