𝟮𝟯. the red lotus

CHANGE | CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

     𝐁olin's amusing bird calls filled her ears, but she still had no power to burst out laughing from the fact her father was nowhere to be seen

     𝐁olin's amusing bird calls filled her ears, but she still had no power to burst out laughing from the fact her father was nowhere to be seen. Her head was infected with doubts, spreading throughout her veins with no stopping. Imagine if Bolin didn't figure out he knows how to lavabender; imagine if Kai never came with the bison. What if the rest of her family didn't get out of the crumbling temple? She wanted to cry.

    Lefty flew toward the camp, landing heavily and tossing Bolin off mount while Cloud jumped off the poor baby bison. Suyin and Lin rushed forward to help the others with the wounded airbending master. It hurt her to see her uncle in such a state. The fact that he was trying so hard to put on a strong act for everybody else—she wanted to give him a hug.

     "Hey everybody, there's something I got to tell you," Kai called out, and Cloud turned her full attention towards the kid who was still atop the bison in anticipation. Looking at him made her think of Jinora. Oh, Jinora. I miss her, and Meelo, and Ikki. All of them. She let out a subtle sigh.

    "How did you guys make it out of the temple alive?"

    "It was all Bolin. I thought we were done for, then out of nowhere, he lavabends."

     "I knew you had the potential for something big. You just had to believe in yourself."

     "You're right. Being moments from death was a pretty good motivator too. Of course, we would have never made it back with Kai."

     The airbender boy seemed proud of himself but there were more important things he had to say, but only ended up getting cut off once again. Cloud darted her eyes between all of them, her left eye twitching in confusion as she scratched the back of her neck. She didn't know who to listen to, but she noticed Kai growing more frustrated as time passed.

     They also talked about Zaheer's new ability to fly, like literally, without his glider, which made them sound like a bunch of gossip girls. Cloud was surprised too, but she didn't voice it out. There was no way he learned how to do that before her. She needed to catch up.

     "So what's our next move?"

     "I have an idea," Kai butted in as he stood between Bolin and Suyin, the group towering over the child.

    "Not right now, kid! We need to figure out where Zaheer took Korra."

    "And find the airbenders."

    "Guys!" Cloud raised her voice, urging the group to shut up, and looked at her. She grumbled from their stares and gestured towards the young airbender. "Maybe we should let Kai talk."

    "Yes! Thanks, sissy!" Kai exclaimed in exasperation as he sent her a thankful look. "That's what I've been trying to tell you. I know where the airbenders are and I bet it's where Korra is too."