Cole - Twenty-One

21

Cole

"Answer" I yelled over the saw I was using to cut another piece of flooring for the house we were working on today, to answer the incoming call from my headphones. "Cole."

"Hey it's Tom, you got a second?" I shut off the saw and walked away from the house and over to the side of my truck.

"Yea, any news?"

"Yes, I need you at the courthouse by 11, can you do that?"

"That's 20 minutes from now. I won't be able to clean up but I can be there."

"That's fine."

"Alright I'm on my way." I hung up and ran into the house. "Aiden?"

"Upstairs!"

"Y'all know the homeowner is here right?" Hayes scolded us jokingly. I gave him a quick smile then turned to Aiden.

"I gotta run to the courthouse."

"Go."

"I'll have Kase pick y'all up if I'm not making it back."

"Alright man, go we can figure the rest out."

"Thanks!" I ran out of the house started the truck and went straight to the courthouse. Tom met me out front.

"Just in time."

"What's going on?"

"Emergency meeting to figure out the permanent custody of the kids, and Tia's sentencing."

"That was fucking fast!"

"They didn't mess around when it comes to kids, that's for damn sure, now let's get you up there."

"It's fine that I'm like this?" I put my hands to my chest, I was covered in sawdust from cutting wood flooring all morning.

"Show's you're willing to drop everything for those kids of yours." He shrugged. I nodded.

"Shit wait!" I turned and ran back to the truck putting my gun in the center console then ran back to Tom. "Alright I'm good now." He shook his head laughing knowing what I forgot. We went through metal detector and straight to the elevator, exiting the second it stopped.

"Just go right in, everyone is already in there. I told them you were a few minutes away because you had to come straight from working. The judge is holding everything just for you." I felt dizzy but nodded and pushed through the door Tom right behind me. Heads turned quickly but my focus went to one. Dylan, damn she looked gorgeous. Beside her, to my surprise were all three of my kids, then ran out into the isle and right into my arms.

"We missed you so much!" Keryn said through tears.

"We love it with Dylan!" Noah said giggling, and Tory was just holding on tight, tears falling down her little cheeks. I kissed each of them several times and held on tightly.

"I don't want to break up this beautiful image right here, but the sooner we get started the sooner it is all over." The judge spoke grabbing my attention. Thankfully it was the one I knew very well. I stood letting go of the kids and followed them to Dylan, I grabbed her face and pulled her in for a kiss and heard my Mom giggle from the row behind us. I backed away and let out a breath and a small smile that Dylan returned. I nodded to her before turning to face the judge. "Mr. Weaver if you would come sit there." I sat where he told me, next to Tom, and patiently waited.

"It's going to be alright." Tom reassured me before everything started.

"We are here to discuss the permanent custody arrangement for the three minor children Keryn Cole Weaver, Noah Devon Weaver, and Torrance Emily Weaver. Children and Youth have made a decision after interviewing each child and collecting information from the hospital where each child was evaluated for abuse. We have decided that it is in the best interests of all three children that Colson Tahoma Weaver Jr. from this day forward has primary and sole custody. Ms. Tia Ann Dellarova is expected to sign over all her rights to Keryn Cole Weaver, Noah Devon Weaver, and Torrance Emily Weaver, immediately." The judge looked over at my overly shocked expression. "Congratulations Colson." He cleared his throat. "We're going to take a short recess to allow the children to go on about their day, please be back in 10 minutes." I nodded and ran over to the kids picking up Tory and Noah and holding Keryn close.