The friend who left

"Move it, Catra." Adora muttered, her patience wearing thin.

Catra stood in the doorway, one arm against the frame, blocking Adora from entering her psychology class.

Catra smirked at her.

"Oh hey, princess. Didn't see you there"

Adora groaned. "Of course you saw me, asshole, you stared right at me"

Catra faked surprise. "Oh was I?! I was too distracted by that giant hair poof. Must have gotten lost in thought, my apologies" she lowered her arm and gestured for Adora to pass.

The blonde grumbled, walking past a snickering brunette.

Catra stuck out a leg and sent the jock sprawling on the floor, papers spilling everywhere.

"Whoops! Are you okay? I hope the poof cushioned your fall!"

Catra laughed cruelly and stepped over Adora, hands shoved in her pocket. Her heart raced, beating against her chest. She tried to silence it, but it ached so bad. Finally she stopped, turned around to see if Adora was okay.

Adora was picking up the scattered files, trying to neaten them up. the sight made Catra's guilt gnaw at her stomach.

A bit of Adora's hair fell out of her ponytail and into her face.

Catra couldn't stop herself, her body moved on it's own and brushed the blonde strand behind her ear.

Adora whipped her head to give Catra the death glare.

"I- I'm sorry!" Catra stammered, bright red. She withdrew the hand.

She knew she had to evacuate the situation, running out of the classroom, trying so hard to ignore the emotions conflicting inside her.

"I hate Adora! I hate Adora! I hate Adora!" She cried, trying to convince herself.

Catra froze.

"And she hates me..."

*********

Lunch came around, and Catra sat in her usual corner, glaring at the popular Adora.

"Tell is what it was like back in the Horde!" A student called out.

Adora sat on a lunch table, surrounded by her friends and admirers. She had just finished telling the story of how she once had to drag a wagon full of food to a hippie commune after their gardens were killed with bleach by Horde teens. All the hippies threw a party for her and even offered her the last of their party kale.

Adora sighed amusedly at the question. Everyone leaned forward, eager to hear the horrors of the Horde. They heard rumors of the chaos that happened there and were itching to hear a first witness account.

"Well the education was mainly focused around sports. It didn't matter if you were smart, if you could play sports then you passed"

Everyone groaned. "Noooo, we wanna hear the crazy stuff!" Someone shouted.

Adora huffed and rolled her eyes playfully.

"Fine haha! Well the kids there were mainly into fighting. There was always a fight, if you didn't carry a knife on you; you were as good as dead. Once you become a freshman, you'd have to recruit with one of the gangs for protection. Loners get targeted. So anyway, one time me and my squad were jumped by the city heroin addicts looking for drug money. My best-"

Adora choked. Catra's heart froze. 

"My ex best friend" she corrected.

Something inside Catra broke.

"Anyways, you should've seen her fight! She was like a wild cat attacking! Hissing and clawing her knife at the grown man like a demon!"

The Bright Moon student's eyes widened, soaking the story up.

Adora started to rant more about her old friend when Catra's heart clenched in pain. It was like a switch had turned, and all the good memories of Adora turned nostalgic and longed for.

"Anyways..." Adora mumbled. "That was forever ago. She's... different now..."

Angrily chewing a protein bar, Catra stared at the scenes unfolding at the popular kid's table.

Adora began chomping on her pizza aggressively, laughing at something sparkles said. The jealousy made Catra burn.

She didn't even turn when DT sat beside her, setting their tray on the table with a thud as the plastic collided with the surface.

"Stop staring, Kitten. It's going to become obvious you have an obsession with Adora"

Catra hissed. "I don't have an obsession!"
Double Trouble sighed, knowing they already had this conversation many times. They dug into their chicken tenders, eating them in small bites and chewing thoroughly.

"If Adora didn't leave me, then everything would be fine, I don't need her. This is her loss!" Catra continued.

DT rolled their eyes,
"Darling it looks like she doesn't need you." They stated, emphasizing the reversal of roles. "You're getting far too obsessed, I know a girl I could introduce you to, her names Scorpia and-"

Catra, not paying attention suddenly stood up, hair bristling.

Adora and a boy were standing on the lunch table; Adora was climbing his shoulder, trying to see if she could grab ahold of the groove in the wall and climb the beam that ran across the ceiling.

Catra choked. Adora was trying to climb the wall?

The boy struggled to hold her feet to his shoulder, buckling a bit before leaning closer to the wall. Adora grabbed the trim that jutted out on the wall and pulled herself up, barely having enough ledge to stand on. Her feet stuck out dangerously as she reached up for the second climb. Her finger brushed the metal beam, just missing the structure.

Catra felt her stomach churn. The beam was pretty high, running across with the ceiling high above it as well.
'Don't fall...' something inside her begged.

Adora appeared disappointed but reached up one more time, barely grabbing the beam with one hand. She let her feet fall off the ledge as she strain-fully pulled her body to the point where she could grab with two hands.

Finally, she was able to climb on the metal beam, standing and waving at the cheering kids below. She walked along the structure like a tightrope walker, balancing and mimicking almost falling.

Pulling out a sharpie, she crouched and wrote something across the top before capping the marker and throwing it down. She blew a kiss as it fell.

It hit Catra square on the head, making her cry in alarm, flinching. Kids snickered.

A teacher came bursting into the lunch room, holding a beeping walkie-talkie and frantically scanning the ceiling until they locked eyes with Adora.

"At the scene" the teacher spoke into the black device, emitting a static reaction from the office

"Janitor is on his way with a ladder" someone radioed back, their voice echoing through the box.

"Adora the crackhead is at it again" a kid chuckled, chewing an apple in amusement.

"Everyone clear the lunch room!" The staff panicked. Just in case Adora fell, they didn't want a room full of kids to witness it.

Adora you're crazy, I'll see you in detention... Catra thought.

_____________

Sometimes I feel like a piece of baloney