Warmth

"Look at this." Ray said and the two examined the book

"Mechanical engineering and human history..." Emma muttered

"Not that--" Ray was cut off by [Y/N]

"2015" [Y/N] said, while the two looked at her with confusion "Publication year..." she elaborated for them "It's the newest book in this house."

"So at least until 2015, it was a world where books like this could be published." Ray said

"30 years..." Emma mumbled

"Despite what I said, its only been 30 years. So it's possible that there is a human society out there. But I'm not going gamble on something that has no chance of winning. Know the outside. Know the enemy. Come up with a strategy and survive. If we're doing this, we're going to win."

'That sounds nice and all but...'

.

.

.

"Hey Ray, can I talk to you?" [Y/N] asked, Ray looked at her, thinking of possibly what the girl would want to talk about and more specifically why only with him? Nevertheless he nodded and said

"Meet me in the library after everyone's asleep." after hearing this she walked away.

.

.

.

The oldest 6 were called by Mama and were assigned chores like cleaning a specific empty room which was in the same hallway as the children's room, counting linens and stuff. The 4 knew that it wasn't mere coincidence, Mama was planning to reduce their time for planning escape.

.

.

.

Walking quietly through the hallways, a certain girl stood in front of doors that led to the library, the doors that she opened quite often in past years, especially at night. Swinging door open without making a noise, something she had mastered in order to sneak into library for the knowledge she had to gain to escape this death trap, [Y/N] saw her friend sitting on one of the chairs and his bored eyes locked with hers, she walked over to the shelf, taking out a book she sat on the chair next to Ray.

'Now how to start....? Ugh! You didn't think things through once again just how much hopeless sh*t are you, huh? [Y/N]? Da*n I feel like I'm confessing or something! And to make matters worse 'confessing to Ray' EWW!!'

"What is it that you wanted to talk about?" Ray asked the girl who was still cursing herself, snapping her out of her daze, the girl turned her attention to the boy beside her but kept her eyes at the book in hand.

"... When are you planning on telling them, you know after all you are Mama's pawn."

"What are--" Ray started only to be cut off by the girl

"Don't play innocent, I know you very well and you know me just as much as I know you."

"I don't plan on telling them but I guess you will tell them now, right?"

"I think I was wrong to assume that you knew me very well." the girl said as her eyes bore into her book. The boy confused at her statement waited for her to continue "I won't tell them about it but I won't stop them from finding it out either, I know you probably have some reason behind trying to hide the fact that you are working for Mama."

"There is a possibility that I may have ill intentions and just ruin your escape plan, are you still willing to leave thing as they are?"

"Yes." was her small and calm reply

"You have to be more doubtful! You just can't trust anyone!" Ray whispered harshly

"But you aren't just anyone, you're Ray, I know that you'll never bear any ill will for anyone in this house..." she gave the boy a hearty smile and the boy was taken aback. "... And if you did, which you don't, I would slap you to help you get a hold of yourself, emo boy." she added chuckling while receiving a glare from the boy, which she ignored as always.

"Just when I thought that you were actually being nice to me." Ray whispered back

"Consider it as a mercy upon your miserable soul." [Y/N] said

"Mercy by a much more miserable soul? No thanks, I'm good." Ray made a comeback and the girl playfully rolled her eyes at the boy, a smile forming at the corner of both of their lips.

[Y/N] snatched the book in Ray's hand away from him and got up from her seat, putting the books back, she turned around, finally giving attention to the boy who wanted his book back but the girl didn't hear a word he said and dodged all of his attempts to take back the book.

"[Y/N] I want my book back!" Ray whisper yelled as he glared at the girl who looked back at him with a bored look in her eyes.

"It's already too late and I don't want to be seen alone with you in the middle of night." the girl said and the boy's face dusted pink at the statement, a bit surprised at how calmly she stated it. "I don't want to get suspected by Mama, y'know." she added before noticing her friend's flustered state, a smirk made it's way onto her lips "You were thinking about something dirty right, Ray?" the boy only flushed at her statement as retorted

"N-NO!" he shouted just to make the girl giggle

"We can have the dirty talk later, but now, we slip back into our beds before Mama finds out." she opened the door

"I said I wasn't thinking anything dirty--" Ray retorted as he stepped out of the room and stood in front of her.

"Whatever you say, Ray~" she chimed before closing the door behind them, only to get a dirty look from the boy.

Walking through the long hallways in complete silence, the girl kept her gaze fixed to the floor, years of guilt washed over her, the guilt of never talking or comforting Ray even though she knew exactly what he had been going through all these years not to mention working for the said enemy that is Mama They stopped in front of the room the girl slept in, the boy about to walk towards his room when the girl took a hold of his sleeves and pulled him into a hug, the boy stiffened up as the girl tightly embraced the boy.

'It feels so nice... to have someone who knows the same suffering as me... I'm so selfish... I hate myself...'

The boy gave into the embrace as well, holding her close to him as long as he can, knowing that he won't be able to do the same in the near future. Taking in the warmth as long as it lasts, the two preteens hugged each other.

"Promise me... you'll do you're best... to make everyone's escape possible." she whispered

"I promise." Ray whispered back, the girl smiled but unknown to the girl, Ray had his fingers crossed.

Letting go of the embrace, a warm feeling in her heart as she looked back at Ray once again, she whispered "Good night, Ray."

"Good night, [Y/N]."

she walked into her room closing the door behind her while guilt took over Ray for he lied to her...

'We'll all escape our deaths...' [Y/N] thought

'They'll escape their deaths...' Ray thought

Ray headed back to his room, clinging onto the lingering warmth of his friend, he drifted off to sleep ignoring all his fears for this once.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry! For this very late update, I was kind of tangled up in studying. Forgive me!