chapter 1

I pushed my trolley along the platform trying to avoid hitting the other students and their families. Everyone's excitement for returning to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry was palpable, and my joy was no exception.

This would be my sixth year and I had high hopes that it would be my favourite so far. Being in the top two years meant more freedom and later curfews.

I knew the type of witch I wanted to be and I was finally over the most awkward teenage years. This time school was going to be calm and predictable, exactly as it should be.

I came to a stop next to the big steam train and craned my neck, desperately looking for my best friends. Summer had been busy and lonely without them, even though we wrote letters to each other every couple of days. It was always strange to spend everyday at Hogwarts together and then barely have time to meet up in the summer. They were like my extended family after all.

A group to my right parted causing Evelyn to catch sight of me. I felt a grin spread across my face as she ran towards me and I opened my arms. She fell into them so hard I nearly toppled over, but managed to regain my balance and steady us.

"Lila! I missed you so much girl." she squealed into my ear before stepping back to take my appearance in, "You look different... and hot! And this outfit is insane! Your time in France clearly paid off."

I laughed as she winked at me and pondered her comment for a moment.

Since the beginning of summer I suppose I had changed a bit. My hair was now longer and wavy down my back. It had returned to its raven black colour after Evelyn put a brown hair charm on me last Christmas. This contrasted nicely against my steel blue eyes and ivory skin, I'd lost the last of the baby fat around my face too.

My father had said I looked exactly like my mother now. I winced at the memory before brushing it off quickly, refocusing on the present.

"I missed you too! And never-mind me, look at you. I can't believe your parents actually agreed to your tattoos." I indicated her arms which were now covered in beautiful swirling designs. They suited her well and complimented her electric blue hair. She looked a lot older than before summer, we both did.

"They knew I'd end up getting them anyway and after I got the summer job they couldn't even complain about the cost anymore" she smirked. I laughed in response, knowing Evelyn's headstrong tendencies and her parents' inability to win arguments. It was a deadly combination for them but a winning one for her.

"Let's get on the train, Carlisle will find us I'm sure." She picked up her bag, inclining her head to the Hogwarts Express.

I nodded and we entered the train, walking through the carriages until we found an empty one.

We placed our hand luggage on the railings above and flopped into the seats. I began asking Evelyn about her summer and she recounted the days she'd spent working at Valerio's record shop. She told me about the customers she hated and the ones she liked and I laughed along with her stories, asking questions occasionally.

Just before she could ask me about my summer, the carriage door slid open and Carlisle walked in.

"Well, well, well if it isn't my two favourite Ravenclaws." He smiled at us, his usual boyish grin, and we both jumped up in excitement to give him hugs.

I looked up at him and noticed he'd gotten taller. Now about 6'1", he towered over my 5'7" frame but his face still held the same good looks I'd come to love over the years.

Smiling down at me, he pinched my cheek lightly, "did you miss me Lil?"

"Of course I did. I had no one to annoy me all summer and it was a terrible tragedy." I told him sarcastically, swatting his hand away from my face.

He just smirked at my dig and placed his luggage over our heads as we settled back into our seats.

"What were you guys talking about before I got here?" He looked between us.

"I was just going to ask Lila about her summer, and I want details girl, none of that boring nonsense you put in your letters." Evelyn looked pointedly at me as she began to tie her hair back, "where exactly did you go and how many hot guys were there?"

I rolled my eyes but began to recount to them the adventures my father and I got up to during summer. I told them about visiting Japan, Botswana and Romania before we stopped in our Paris townhouse for the last three weeks. I summarised the cases my father handled with the muggle governments and they asked plenty of questions, fascinated with our adventures.

They already knew he worked in the Ministry's Department of International Magical Cooperation, but I usually avoided expanding much on the topic. I wasn't embarrassed about the work my father did, in fact I was proud, but I knew the name Marcus Malveaux was widely debated in the magical community.

He worked as a lawyer with muggle governments around the world when they held cases against witches and wizards that had exposed themselves to the population.

Although the muggle victims had their memories of the incidents wiped, my father had campaigned for the governments to be allowed to retain knowledge of these events. He felt that morally their kind should be allowed to hold us accountable in fair trials. Of course not everyone in the wizarding community agreed with this philosophy, some had even labelled our family magic traitors.

Most often my father won his trials, not because he was a wizard, but simply because he was a fantastic lawyer. Although he didn't do it for this reason, but rather because of his interest and respect for muggles. Both my parents had shared this passion for their world and I knew this made us stand out from the average magical family. Wanting to learn about and interact with muggles simply wasn't the done thing.

"So do you think you will see him at Christmas?" Carlisle asked me after I finished my recount.

I frowned at this, "no I don't think so... you know how it is, he's probably going to be too busy like he was last year."

They both nodded and the carriage was silent for a moment. I knew they both felt pity for me, most magical families adored Christmas and everyone at Hogwarts couldn't wait to return home for a few weeks.

I knew my father really loved me, but sometimes not seeing him became lonely. I wasn't looking forward to being one of the strays left behind in the castle again this year.

Finally Carlisle told us about his summer and how he'd spent all his free time practicing for the Quidditch try-outs. I smiled as he talked passionately, the Gryffindor team had a lot of good options, but I was confident he would get a spot just as he had in all the years previous.

A few hours later we were all caught up with each other's adventures and so we sat in peace as the train sped towards the castle. I looked out the window and took in the sight of the familiar trees and river. It felt good to be returning after all those months away and a thick anticipation hung in the air.

I laid my head on Carlisle's shoulder as the train lulled me into a peaceful sleep.