chapter 75

Less than five minutes later we'd made it to the large phoenix statue outside of Dumbledore's office.

Cedric was panting for breath beside me as I pulled out my wand. A password was needed to enter his office but I knew you could request a moment with him if you so wished.

"Pulso pulso" I uttered and we stared at the structure, waiting for something to change.

For a moment, everything remained completely still and I began to wonder if he was up there at all. Had I said the wrong spell?

As I debated what I'd done wrong in my head there was the sound of grating stone and I knew he'd received the request.

The concrete phoenix began to twist, causing a spiral staircase to reveal itself.

I glanced at Cedric to see his jaw had dropped open and I smiled at his expression. I'd never been to the headmaster's office myself but I'd heard stories of the disappearing staircase.

There was a loud thud as the stone locked into place and we began to ascend the staircase slowly. Once we reached the top, we were facing a large wooden door which swung open automatically on our approach.

I stepped into the room for the first time and took in the surroundings.

The office was circular and I was impressed at the large stone pillars that created two arches behind the desk. Hundreds of portraits and books littered the walls and I tried not to linger on them too long as they stared back at us, curious about the room's unexpected visitors.

The sorting hat rested on a stand near a real phoenix, and I regarded the bird with interest. It was a very beautiful creature, with stunning red and orange feathers. It cocked its head as it returned my stare, seeming to match my expression.

I smiled to myself and turned my attention to the centre of the room. Dumbledore's familiar stoic figure sat behind a large wooden desk and I glanced at Cedric.

"Lila, Cedric, please sit down." Dumbledore's wise voice rang out slowly and he indicated to two chairs on the other side of the desk.

For a moment I wondered how he knew our names, but he struck me as the type of wizard to know everything.

We drifted towards the seating with trepidation and placed ourselves down.

He eyed us slowly, measuring our emotions and glancing between us. The anxious part of me was desperate to take Cedric's hand, but I felt too embarrassed to do so in front of our headmaster.

"What has brought you here? I assume you didn't come calling for a simple chat over a brew."

Cedric glanced at me, indicating that I should speak. I realised that I hadn't bothered to explain my plan to him on the run here.

I shuffled forward in my seat and cleared my throat, "I'm afraid not sir. We actually came to report two students who used polyjuice against the school rules."

His eyebrows raised slightly in surprise and I wondered what he'd been expecting us to say.

"Go on..." he encouraged.

"Well last week they impersonated Cedric and it led to some... complicated repercussions." I wasn't sure how in depth to be, I didn't exactly want to bother the headmaster with our lover's tiff.

He snapped his fingers briskly. "Ahhh you're referring to an issue within your relationship, a breakup I suppose. That explains why you apparated from the castle grounds last week and didn't return until Miss Braxton collected you."

He spoke casually, as if he was discussing the weather rather than the intimate details of my personal life. I stared at him, dumbfounded.

"How did you kn-"