chapter 34

It was Friday morning and we were at breakfast, munching down on the array of pancakes that the kitchens had prepared for us.

Our dorm was sitting at the Hufflepuff table, Max had offered to Evelyn that she should come to eat with him and we all tagged along in support. I was sitting next to Cedric, we were in a heated debate about a muggle film series.

"I'm telling you that The Blue Mirage is the best film in the series." I spoke passionately as I spread syrup on my plain pancake.

"No way! It's got to be Hearts & Hospitals or The Droplet. Besides The Blue Mirage is too sad when that guy dies at the end." He replied, shaking his head as he bit into his blueberry and banana concoction.

I rolled my eyes dramatically, "that's what makes it so great. It's got adventure and this emotional storyline, it's the whole thing in one package. Besides plenty of the characters die in The Droplet, it's part of the whole heroic arc."

He shook his head, but smiled at me. We continued discussing the films, debating our favourite and least favourite characters.

Occasionally the rest of the group glanced at us like we were crazy. Most magical beings didn't watch muggle programmes, they found them too boring, but it was nice that Cedric and I shared similar interests.

We were almost finished with our morning meal when the owls arrived in the hall. It was post day and excitement spread throughout the students.

To my surprise, not many members of our group received letters. Maisie got one from her grandmother and Max received one from his cousin about an attempted Gringots break in.

Most of the post had been delivered when a muggle newspaper fell in front of me. I picked it up and turned it over, there was no letter held under the string binding but I knew it was from my father. He liked to keep up with current muggle affairs and would send me a newspaper when there was something significant going on.

I pushed my plate away and untied the string, causing the newspaper unrolled. I flattened it as my eyes scanned over the large headline on the front page.

BLACK AMERICAN MURDERED BY POLICE IN MINNEAPOLIS

George Floyd's Death Is The Final Straw For The Black Community

The paper was dated a week ago and I felt a tug at my heart as I took in the photo of the victim, his daughter giggling as she sat on his shoulders. I began to read the article below it.

46 year old Floyd was killed by police after being detained for allegedly handing a store clerk a counterfeit $20 bill. A harrowing video revealed the officers kneeling on his neck as he begged for his life.

Floyd could be heard saying "I can't breathe" repeatedly, and it was clear he was in extreme distress. Onlookers begged for them to ease pressure, which the officers ignored, threatening them instead.

The video went viral across social media platforms, igniting fury around the world and in the black community. This caused protests to begin across many cities and states in America.

The phrase 'Black Lives Matter' is being used at the centre of this movement as thousands of people walk the streets in support of black rights and their community. Although the protesters themselves are peaceful, the police are using brute force and dangerous weapons, forcing civilians to defend themselves. In particular, tear gas and rubber bullets are being thrown into crowds, causing inhumane injuries to many.