chapter 8

Friday afternoon rolled around and it was time for apparition studies.

This was one of my favourite classes. Passing it would mean I'd be able to travel much easier, my father had told me it would make things quicker in summer when we visited multiple countries. He'd never complained that we had to use the floo networks, but I could tell he itched for the quicker method of apparating.

It wasn't a class taught by a Hogwarts professor, but instead by a member of the Ministry of Magic. It cost 12 galleons but by Christmas we would be legally allowed to apparate.

There were only 10 of us and you could begin to learn once you were 17. Not only was it costly, but extremely dangerous too. It was the muggle equivalent of learning to drive.

We had been told that for the next few weeks we would only be studying the theory before we could attempt it. Today we were learning about the fascinating but horrifying error of splinching.

"So you must all remember the three D's of Apparition. Destination. Determination. Deliberation." The Ministry member, Wilkie Twycross, paced slowly across the room as she spoke. She was a steely old woman who had no time for nonsense, it made sense she would be the one chosen to teach such a serious topic.

"You must concentrate permanently whilst apparating. You have to envision clearly your destination and move with confidence. If you lose focus for one moment you risk leaving part of your clothing, or yourself, in the previous location."

She tapped her cane on the board where the gruesome photos revealed the effects of apparating unsuccessfully. They mostly showed chunks of flesh missing in a bloody mess. I cringed at the thought. If you were lucky you would only lose some hair or a strip of fabric when apparating incorrectly.

I began writing notes as she continued to speak. Evelyn was sat beside me but I could see her doodling into her scruffy sketchbook.

Paying complete attention in class had never been her thing, she was blessed with the ability to not look like she was listening, but somehow was able to retain 100% of the information with word-for-word accuracy.

Instead of focusing on our teacher, she appeared to be sketching her new tattoo design. I noted how it featured the Ravenclaw eagle, spread like a fan against the lined page. I thought it would suit her well and made a mental note to ask where she was going to put it later on.

As I turned back to my own notebook, there was a small fluttering from my left and suddenly a paper bird appeared on my desk. I recognised it's delicate origami style, knowing who it was from immediately.

Twycross' back was turned so I quickly unfolded the note, absorbing the elegant script there.

Lila,

Are you still okay to tutor me this year?

My father is making me take History of Magic and it's a nightmare.

Draco x

I smiled to myself. Since third year I had helped Draco Malfoy from the Slytherin house study for some of his subjects. He didn't struggle by any means, he was actually really smart, but he just didn't bother to listen in class most times.

Although I wasn't studying History of Magic myself, I already knew the material from reading about it in summer. I made sure to continue my own education at home so I wouldn't have to study everything in school.

I tore a piece of paper from my notebook and began to write my reply.

Draco,

I'd be happy to help :)

How about we do our usual schedule? Every other Monday lunchtime?

The library will have the books you need.

Lila x

I folded the paper up before whispering the charm, note papilionem.

The paper came to life, shifting into the shape of a butterfly. It was my signature form and I watched as it flitted through the air to Draco's desk behind me.

His appearance was the same as ever, pristine and polished. The perfect image of his pureblood lineage.

He opened it quickly and smiled at me before nodding in confirmation. I smiled back but then my eyes caught sight of Cedric.

He was a few rows back and his eyes were darting back and forth between Draco and I, observing our interaction with a level of focus that seemed painful.

His face flickered with an emotion I was unable to register but he quickly wiped it away. He looked at me again and our eyes locked once more, it seemed to be becoming a regular occurrence and the intensity of it was almost unnerving.

He looked slightly annoyed and I wondered what had upset his mood.

I broke the contact and turned back to face the front quickly as a blush seeped into my cheeks.

I thought back to yesterday when we'd spoken for the first time. It was a strange interaction and after I had returned to the castle I still didn't know what to make of it. The tingle in my arm had been the weirdest part of it all. That hadn't happened before and I couldn't think of a logical explanation for it.

I glanced down to my hand and flexed my fingers but it was in normal working condition, nothing amiss as far as I could tell.

Evelyn leaned over to me as I focused, "what's that look on your face for? You look redder than my Aunt Mildred when she walks too fast."

I shook my head at her, trying to appear casual, "nothing, it's just hot in here."

She turned to look behind us before turning back to me with a smirk.

"Is it Draco? What did the note say?"

"He was asking me if we could do the tutoring again. He's struggling with History of Magic."

She didn't look convinced but went back to her sketching with a forlorn sigh.

I shook off my embarrassment and tuned back into what Twycross was saying, trying to follow her as I scribbled down the remedies for splinching.

The rest of the lesson continued as normal, but I couldn't get rid of the distinct feeling that daggers were being glared into my back.

I didn't turn around to check.