epilogue

16 years later

I bustled my way into the parlour, dusting the flour from my hands.

"Xavier go and wash your hands please, dinner is nearly ready." I glanced over to the boy playing in the corner.

He turned to look at me over his shoulder, as usual I was struck by his sheer resemblance to Cedric.

"But mum, I'm pl-"

"You can continue playing poker with Uncle Draco after dinner. Go on now." I ushered him with my hands.

He sighed but picked himself up and left the room, walking in the direction of the bathroom. Draco chuckled and stood up, striding towards me.

"I'm not so sure it's a good idea for you to teach my child poker you know." I eyed him skeptically as I adjusted a cushion on the couch.

He just laughed at my worried tone, "nonsense! He'll be a master by the time I'm done with him."

I rolled my eyes but couldn't help a smile from spreading across my face from the sight of Draco's gleeful expression.

"Anyway, do you need any help Lil?"

"No, it's all going well. Do you mind telling the others to seat themselves at the table? I just need to bring the dishes through."

He nodded and headed towards the living room.

I made my way back into the kitchen and pulled the wand from my apron. I pointed it in the direction of the multitude of dishes and directed them towards the dining room, nodding in satisfaction as they floated off.

I walked towards a cupboard and opened it, searching for the condiments. The sound of the back door creaked behind me but I didn't turn before speaking.

"You're late."

A set of warm arms wrapped around me, "sorry babe, got caught up at work."

I turned to face my husband and couldn't stop the smile on my face. He smiled back before placing a welcoming kiss on my lips.

"You're glowing today."

I blushed, still not used to Cedric's compliments after all these years.

"I think the baby will start kicking any day now." I replied, glancing down at my belly.

He nodded and placed a gentle hand on my growing stomach, rubbing comforting circles there.

"Dada!"

We turned our attention to the doorway as Valentina came toddling in on her little legs. Cedric swooped down, picking her up and twirling her in the air before tucking her against his chest.

"Hey princess, did you have a good day?"

She sucked on her thumb, "yah, Miss Proon let me hold her wand at play school today."

Cedric chuckled down at her and there was a swell in my heart from the image of them together. Our daughter had been a daddy's girl since the moment she was born, but she was the spitting image of me, with a mixed shade of our eyes.

He turned his attention back to me, "do you need me to do anything?"

"If you could put her in the high chair that would help. I'll be right there." I smiled at them as they left the room.

I untied the apron and laid it on the counter before grabbing the jars of condiments. I made my way down the corridor of our house until I reached the dining room, taking in the busy sight.

We'd invited the majority of our family and friends to dinner. Mostly everyone we cherished was there; Draco and his wife Katie, Evelyn and Max, Maisie, Dakota, Carlisle and Dean, Luna and Neville, Hermione and Ron, Harry and Ginny, even the Weasley twins who I'd grown quite fond of over the years. And of course my father, Amos, Amelia and Dobby with his new elf wife Noelle.

I'd had to cast a few spells to expand the room and the length of the dining table, but I was happy to see everyone fit.

I smiled to myself at the happy sight before my eyes fell on my own family at the head of the table. Cedric sat between our children, chatting animatedly with Xavier about taking him to the Hogwarts Express tomorrow. Our son would be starting Hogwarts next week so we'd decided to hold a farewell meal.

I bustled into the room before anyone caught me staring and went to squeeze myself next to Valentina. I quickly conjured a bib and tucked it around her neck, ready for the meal.

I picked up the wine glass that Cedric had filled and stood up, clearing my throat to gather everyone's attention. They all hushed their conversations to focus on me.

"I just wanted to say quickly that I'm glad you could all come today to wish Xavier luck at Hogwarts, we were all in his position once." I smiled at my son.

"I'm really grateful to be surrounded by so many wonderful friends and family, you guys have supported us through everything and I can't wait for the little one," I tapped my belly, "to meet you all. I couldn't ask for better aunties, uncles and grandparents. Cheers!" I sat down as we all cheersed happily, clinking our glasses together.

Cedric tapped his glass against mine and leaned across the table to place a kiss on my cheek.

"I love you," he whispered.

"I love you too."

Cedric smiled at me and clapped his hands together, "come on everyone, let's eat."

They all cheered appreciatively as we dug into the meal.

And that's how our life was.
Loving, warm, perfect.