chapter 65

The next Saturday I was sitting in the hall with Cedric and Carlisle. They were engaged in a heated game of Wizard's Chess whilst I read my new book.

There was a happy atmosphere amongst the hall and I knew that we were all relishing the last month of calm before exam season started.

Most of the students were outside, Spring had set in suddenly and the weather was changing completely into a warmer climate as flowers blossomed around the grounds.

"You cheater!" Carlisle protested as Cedric's bishop drew its staff and stabbed his knight through the chest, removing the piece from the board.

"It's not cheating, I'm just good. You should try it sometime mate." Cedric chuckled, clearing the debris with his wand. I had to hide my face behind my book so Carlisle couldn't see me stifling a laugh.

My friend balled his hands into fists and stared at the board with psychotic concentration. The poor guy frequently lost to Cedric, but I knew he was still secretly happy to have some proper competition. They were becoming fast friends and I was relieved that Cedric's previous jealous concerns had disappeared.

I went back to focusing on my book, flying through the pages as I read eagerly.

"Lila... is that..." Carlisle's voice made me raise my head and I turned to where he was squinting.

My gaze landed at the front of the hall where a man stood wearing a deep blue pinstripe suit. He looked perfectly polished and his dark brown hair was slicked back neatly. His strong presence emanated from him and the extent of his wizarding power was crystal clear.

Some of the other students had turned to look, curious about the presence of an unfamiliar wizard.

He caught sight of me after a brief scan of the benches and smiled widely, beginning to walk towards where I sat.

I dropped my book on the table abruptly and detangled myself from the bench. I ran quickly down the aisle into his waiting open arms.

"Dad!" I snaked my arms around his neck and he hugged me tightly, laughing into my hair. I had to stand on my tip toes to reach high enough and it reminded me of when I was younger and he would lift me up.

"Lil, it's so good to see you hun! Let me look at you properly." I released him reluctantly, still in disbelief he was here at Hogwarts.

I stepped back and straightened my uniform, checking my hair was still laid neatly down my back after my outburst.

He smiled even wider as he took in my appearance, "you look great, even more like your mother now, beautiful." I saw the tinge of pain in his eyes but ignored it and smiled back at him.

"What are you doing here dad?" I pressed, eager to hear the explanation of what had brought him here out of all the places in the world.

"Dumbledore asked me to come, we had discuss the case of a wizard he is friends with. He thought I'd be the best person for the job. A great man that chap." He spoke steadily and I realised how much I'd missed his calming demeanour. He had always been a very level-headed man, it made him an easy presence easy to be around.

"I missed you so much." I hugged him again, relishing the rare moment with him.

"I missed you too Lil, I'm sorry I haven't written much." He said guilty.

"It's okay, I understand." I pulled back and glanced towards Cedric and Carlisle, who were regarding us with interest. "There's someone I'd like you to meet actually."

I turned around and he followed me back to where we were sitting, I ignored the looks from some of the students and the whispers of my father's name.

When we neared the bench the boys both stood up quickly, standing to attention like soldiers. My father leaned across the table and put his hand out for Carlisle to shake.

"Mr Malveaux, it's great to see you again sir." Carlisle smiled, they were already well acquainted after he had visited me during the summer after third year.

"Carlisle son, how are things? How's your mother?"

"She's good sir, just busy looking after my little sister. She'll be starting Hogwarts next year."

"Ah that's excellent!" My father smiled at him warmly before turning his attention to Cedric. "And who is this?"

Cedric beat me to the introduction, "I'm Cedric Diggory sir, Lila's boyfriend."

They shook hands in greeting and I was relieved to see my father smile. I knew he liked him already, he was big on first impressions.

"Nice to meet you Cedric, you're in sixth year I assume?"

"Yes sir." Cedric spoke very politely and I took his hand to reassure him.

"And you're treating my daughter right?"

"Dad! Stop being embarrassing." I cringed slightly at his inquisition but Cedric seemed amused.

"Yes sir, I try my best. She can be quite a handful sometimes."

I slapped his arm playfully as my father's deep laugh rumbled through the hall.

"Yes she certainly can. Say, your father isn't Amos Diggory by any chance?"

Cedric nodded and my dad looked delighted at the news. "Excellent! I haven't had the chance to talk to him at the Ministry, we're in very different departments of course, but I hear only good things. I should very much like to meet the wizard sometime."

"I'll be sure to pass that on, he'd love to meet you too" Cedric smiled at my father's praise and I exhaled a breath in relief. I could tell they were going to get along swimmingly.

"How long can you stay dad?" I asked, hoping it would be longer rather than shorter.

"I only have until tonight I'm afraid, but we should go to dinner down in the town. Cedric you should come, we can get to know each other better."

"I'd like that." Cedric glanced at me for confirmation and I smiled.

My father nodded approvingly and we made plans to meet at 6pm in Hogsmeade. He dismissed himself to iron out the rest of his business with Dumbledore, saying goodbye to Carlisle, and we returned to our previous positions.

***

It was 9pm by the time we exited the restaurant. My father had regaled us with all the tales of what he'd been up to the last few months and Cedric had asked multiple questions, fascinated with his work. Eventually the topic had drifted to quidditch and I just observed as they passionately debated the best team in the league.

By the end of the meal they were practically best friends and I felt like the third wheel. It was quite funny really, most girls struggled to get their fathers to like their boyfriend but mine seemed more than eager to welcome Cedric into the family.

I rolled my eyes behind their backs as we exited the restaurant whilst they laughed about some muggle joke.

Eventually they caught their breath and my dad turned his attention to me.

"Well it was fantastic to see you Lil, I'm glad everything is going well in school. Keep up the good work and I'll try to write soon." He pulled me in for a last hug and I sighed into his suit, reluctant to let him go.

"Be safe dad, I'll miss you" I whispered.

"I will, I'll see you in summer." He pulled away and pulled Cedric into a brief hug. "It was nice to meet you son, look after my daughter for me. Hopefully you can come and spend some time with us in the warmer months."

Cedric nodded and took my hand in his, "I'd love too."

My father took a few steps back and gave us one last smile before apparating away with a loud snap. I sighed at the empty space as the air settled back into place.

"I liked him a lot." Cedric smiled at me.

"He liked you too, maybe too much." I teased.

He laughed, "come on, let's go home."

I nodded and we pulled ourselves into the apparition loop, returning to the castle hand in hand.