chapter 77

The Hogwarts Express chugged slowly into the station and I pulled my jacket on, ready to step back out into London. I'd missed the city desperately, between it and Hogwarts, I had the perfect homes.

Cedric stirred opposite me and yawned widely before wiping the sleep from his eyes. He'd been passed out most of the journey and I envied him. I'd been too nervous about what was about to happen to be able to rest.

He glanced out of the window and stood up when he saw we arrived. I began to pull my case down from the rack but he quickly did it for me.

"Don't worry, I'll carry it."

I thanked him and chewed on my lip nervously as we exited the compartment. Students filed along the train as we made our way towards the doors.

A few minutes later I stepped out onto the platform, glancing around the faces of all the parents. We spotted Amos and Amelia in the distance and I waved at them in greeting.

Cedric proceeded to approach them, but I looked down the platform, searching for my target.

Between the steam and throng of families I spotted Draco coming out of the train, two carriages along, and quickly grabbed Cedric's arm.

He glanced back at me and frowned when he noticed my expression.

"What's wrong?"

"I have to do something. Will you wait for me with your parents?" I bit the inside of my cheek, praying he'd agree, there wasn't time to explain.

He followed my gaze to where I'd been looking and I could tell he'd caught sight of Draco from the change in his expression. He looked back at me and for a moment I thought he was going to question it, but his face relaxed and he placed a small kiss on my cheek.

"Take your time."

I smiled at him and squeezed his arm before dashing down the platform, weaving between the bodies. I was thankful Cedric trusted me properly now. I hadn't been able to tell him about why I had business with Draco, it wasn't my secret to share.

I jogged closer and closer to Draco as he made his way across the platform, heading to where his parents were awaiting him.

I stopped as I reached them, wanting to take a moment to fully absorb the Malfoy's presence.

I'd never seen his parents this close up and the regal power emanating from the family was almost potent in the air. I noticed most of the other wizarding families carefully scuttled past, no doubt keen to avoid Lucius' steely gaze.

Mr Malfoy was even scarier up close, he had an icy presence to him that could have made hell freeze over. His pureblood regality was clear in his manner and I couldn't help but notice the similarities to Draco in his hair and pale skin. He wore an old fashioned outfit that reminded me of something an ancient vampire in a horror film might wear. To finish the look, he held a long black cane with a silver snake head at the top, and I shuddered as he gripped the item tightly in his gloved hand.

Draco's mother stood next to Lucius and it was strange to see the woman in the flesh after exchanging so many letters with her.

Narcissa was very beautiful and something about her regal stance added to the presence of the witch. Her kind eyes reminded me of Draco and the difference between her and Lucius was night and day. There was a faint shimmer to her skin and it was a painful reminder of why I had approached the family.

I took a few steps forward and they sensed my presence, turning towards me. Draco's eyes went wide at the sight of my appearance and Lucius fixed his glare upon me, automatically suspicious. Narcissa was the only one who didn't seem surprised and I noticed a wave of relief run across her features as she realised I was going to keep my promise.