chapter 72

It was Saturday.

A week had gone by since I'd broken up with Cedric. I couldn't believe it had been that little time. It felt like months had passed.

I was feeling slightly better, the pain was still prominent, but I felt like I'd find a way to survive for the first time.

I'd always thought characters in books and films were dramatic for the way they handled breakups, but now I felt just as pathetic.

I'd managed to start showering again and eat a little. Sleep still escaped me but I couldn't tell if that was because I purposefully avoided it or if my body had decided it was pointless.

Deep purple crescents sat underneath my eyes and I knew I looked horrifying. My skin appeared at least 2 shades paler, I wondered if I would just disintegrate away when I stepped outside.

I sighed at my appearance in the mirror. It was the least of my problems, but I knew others would worry when I returned to school on Monday. I pondered charms to cover it in my head.

Part of me was nervous about going back to Hogwarts, but I had no choice. I couldn't miss the exams I'd spent so long preparing for and I couldn't avoid Cedric and my friends forever.

I was debating what I would say to everyone when I heard the loud snap of apparition from downstairs.

I frowned to myself and quickly picked up my wand in fear. I knew it could possibly be my father, but I wasn't aware he had any plans to return to the house.

I crept out of the bathroom and wandered along the landing until I reached the top of the stairs.

When I spotted the intruder I gasped at the sight of them standing in the foyer.

"Evelyn?" My tone was incredulous as she turned her head to look at me.

"Ah I thought you'd be here. Jesus, you look like shit." She grimaced as I drifted down the stairs to meet her.

"Thanks." I spoke sarcastically, "what are you doing here?"

"You've been missing a week. We got worried, it's not like you to just disappear and your note didn't say much..." she looked me up and down, seeming to check my condition.

I took a deep breath, preparing myself for her inevitable onslaught of questions. "Yeah I'm sorry about that... I needed to get away."

I began to wander towards the kitchen, trying to buy some time. I heard her remove her coat as she followed me through the house.

I walked towards the kettle and set it to boil before turning to face her. She was seated at the table on the other side of the room looking slightly uncomfortable. I could tell by the look on her face that she was figuring out what to say that wouldn't set me off.

"Lil what the fuck is going on? I mean you are clearly going through something and Cedric... well..."

I almost winced from the sound of his name being spoken out loud, I'd had the fortune of not having to hear it anywhere but my mind for the last week. Even that had been more than I would have liked. Luckily, I managed to stop my face from contorting in pain from the syllables.

"What about him? I couldn't help but enquire, knowing I shouldn't have cared.

She shook her head and my heart twinged at the grim expression on her face.

"I've never seen him like this, he's just... devastated. I mean he looks awful. You'd think someone had died. We barely see him either, he doesn't eat with us and stays in his room most of the time. Max tried to go see him but he insists on being alone. He said something about you guys breaking up..." she looked up at me from beneath her eyelashes and I shifted nervously on my feet.