Chapter 16 : Hug Me

Wooyoung's POV

We finished eating and now we were sitting on the couch, chatting.

"So Dahee, what present did you get from your parents? I bet it would be something special," Mingi said.

"Yeah, I too want to know," San added.

I looked at her, wanting to know what it would be. Instead of replying she frowned.

"Guys...I don't want to lie to you all. Actually I didn't get any present from my parents."

"What?...Wae?"

She weakly smiled and continued. "My parents...don't give me any presents on my birthday. They probably don't even remember my birthday...They're always out so they rarely come to visit me. Their work is more important than their own daughter." I could see that she was getting teary.

"On every birthday, I wait for them to wish me even if it's just a text but that too doesn't happen. I would cry all day while waiting for them, thinking that if I hear their voice or just see their text I would feel a little better..." She paused and sighed.

"But now I'm tired of waiting for them. Tired of wanting to be loved by them..."

She smiled at us as a tear managed to slip out of her eyes. We didn't know what to tell so we just kept quiet.

"But now I have you all." She wiped her tears away. "I'm happy to have you all in my life. I feel like I'm the happiest person when I'm with you all." She smiled brightly.

She tried to light up the mood but I can feel that she still felt hurt.

"Guys...now don't sympathize with me. I don't want to ruin the mood. Umm...let's play something. What about Jenga?"

"Ah, okay...Let's do that," I said, getting along.

"I'll bring it," San said and walked away.

She is so cool...Even if she's hurt from inside, she tries to be happy. She's a strong girl. And that's what makes me like her more.

***

Dahee's POV

It was already 9 pm now. I never thought that I would spend my birthday like this. Jongho sang a song for me too. I enjoyed the day a lot. I think this was my best birthday ever.

I bid them goodbyes and parted our ways. Now me and Wooyoung were walking home. We just walked without saying anything.

The weather was nice so I was enjoying the sweet cool breeze which was blowing.

"I apologize on behalf of them," Wooyoung said. "We didn't know that your parents–"

"It's okay...You just didn't know."

"You must have felt uncomfortable..."

"I'm finr...You all had to know that sooner or later."

"So...Were you upset yesterday because of this?" I nodded.

"But now I'm okay..." I smiled at him. "Actually, I never had friends before as I kept transferring schools. I always used to stay alone...But since I met you, my life changed. Now I have eight precious people with whom I'm can always be happy. I don't feel lonely now."

"And I too got a precious person," Wooyoung said, smiling.

***

Wooyoung's POV

"We're here. Thanks for walking me home. Annyeong," Dahee said, turning back to go inside.

"Dahee-ah..."

"Hm?" She turned back to face me.

"I wanted to give you something." I took out a small box from my pocket and gave it to her.

"What is it?"

"It's a present from me."

"Ah really? Then I'll open it now." She gasped on seeing what was inside.

" She gasped on seeing what was inside

"This...It's the one that I saw at the shop?"

—Flashback—

We were walking back from the arcade when Dahee suddenly stopped at a shop.

"What are you looking at?" I asked. Then I realized that she was admiring a bracelet that was kept on the display.

"It's nothing. Let's go." She then dragged me with her.

—End of flashback—

"Yeah."

"How did you know I wanted it?"

"I just guessed..." I rubbed the back of my neck. "Let me put it on for you." I put it on for her. "It looks nice on you."

"It's so pretty..." She looked so happy, admiring it. I'm glad that I made her happy.

"So...I'll get going now." I turned on my heels to walk away but she stopped me.

"Wooyoung-ah..."

I just turned back to face her when she suddenly came and hugged me. My heart skipped a beat at that moment.

"Khumawo Wooyoung-ah," she said, still hugging me.

I hugged her back and hoped she doesn't hear my heart racing like crazy.

After a while, we let go of each other. I could tell that she was blushing as she wasn't making eye contact with me.

"I-I'll go inside. See you at school," she said and ran inside the house.

I couldn't help but smile to myself like crazy, ruffling my hair.

She's driving me crazy...

To be continued...