Chapter # 39

∆∆IMPORTANT MESSAGE AT THE END, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE READ IT!!!∆∆

The police station was downtown, in the most obvious of places. It was right smack-dab in the middle of everything. There was a gas station across the street and a huge car dealership up the hill from it. The highway stretched out on either side and even a little further up the road there was a tiny little church. It was a dark building that loomed over its visitors, daring them to enter. Police squad cars were parked in the corner of the parking lot, allowing parking for visitors everywhere else. It was quiet outside, only the distant sound of honking horns and cars zooming past on the highway provided sound.

I adjusted my hair in the driver’s side window and smoothed out my dress. I didn’t usually wear things like fancy revealing dresses, but the time for things I usually did was over. Six months ago, I had graduated with my class and spoken about Talia as if she were dead. Six months ago, I had been heartbroken and in despair, thinking that if I couldn’t beat them; I’d cheat them. I had considered killing myself, but then who would find those two bastards that killed Talia? The police? So I had put on the sexiest dress I owned and the sluttiest black heels and colored my lips with scarlet lipstick and curled my hair. The young cop working on Talia’s case had spoken to me after graduation about Talia’s death, and he seemed easy to persuade. I had gotten him to tell me that there was a sighting of Lucas in Kentucky, but it went nowhere. If I could get him to tell me that in a graduation cap and gown, imagine the possibilities of me in a dress.

All men were the same; weak willed and blind to their faults. They liked being played around with and they liked being fooled. I learned that the hard way, but I was determined to remember that. Men were the disgusting filth you feed to pigs, they were the scum of the earth, and if I could offend one a day, I would.

So, doing this was like nothing to me. Doing this was justice to me. Because it was men that had plagued both our lives and turned them into something ugly and unwanted when we had been better than normal. We had been beautiful together and it had been the men of this world to ruin that and take it all away.

First my father, then Nicks at that party, then Lucas, then the unknown hired-killer. It had been too many. Far too many. So I was taking matters into my own hands.

I left my car and walked across the parking lot, entering the building through plated glass doors that opened automatically. Inside, rows and rows and rows of desks were aligned in crazy patterns and police men, some in full uniform and some only wearing their badges, and some only in suits and skirts were talking on the phone, talking to people in cuffs, drinking coffee and laughing off in the corner, or in deep, serious looking conversations with one another.

It was disorganized and to keep from curling my lips in a scowl, I smiled and scanned the room for my cop. I saw him at his desk, pecking away quietly at his computer with a pencil in between his lips. Oh, god, he was one of those. I made my way over to him, ignoring the people who asked what I needed.

“Officer Reynolds, right?” I asked when I got to his desk. He raised his eyebrows, finished what he was typing, and looked up at me. His eye widened and the pencil fell from his mouth. “Oh, hello Miss Larson, what brings you here?” I smiled hugely at him. “Call me Taylor. I actually wanted to talk to you.”

He nodded and gestured for me to sit. I leaned over his desk and lowered my voice. “In private, if you don’t mind.” He stood, almost knocking over his coffee cup that was teetering on the edge of his desk. His uniform was rumpled and he looked like a kid in dress-up. One of the really young ones. A rookie.