Chapter 1

A New Friend...

It all started on the first day of my fourth year of elementary school. That's where I met Yari for the first time. He walked right up to me and said, "Hi! My name is Yari, would you like to sit next to me?"
"Uh...sure..." he took me over to an empty desk that was right next to his. "You can set your stuff down here"
"Ok, thank you..." I said
"Here, let me show you around the classroom!" He grabbed my hand and gave me a rather quick tour of the classroom. "Here's the whiteboard...here's the turtle and his cage..."
"Um, I think turtles live in a tank..." I said, trying to correct him.
"Oh, they do? Ah, whatever."
"Ok class! Time to get into your seat!" Said the teacher. We started to head over to our desks when two guys tripped us. "Oops! Sorry!" They said mockingly. "Hey...you guys need to watch where you put your feet. Someone could really-"
"What, get hurt?" They said, interrupting him.
"No I was going to say...break your ankles" he said as he cracked his knuckles.

We headed back to our desks and what felt like an hour later, the class was dismissed. I instinctively followed Yari to get out of class. I almost regretted it cause the way he chose to get out was going right past the same boys who tripped us. As we got nearer to the boys, I felt butterflies start to come up my stomach. But, that feeling wasn't from the boys, it was from Yari. I didn't want to see his angry side ever again. I could hear my heart pound faster with each step I took. When we reached the boys they both stood up and shouted, " I'M SORRY!". Yari just stood there, at first I was confused and I almost accepted the apology for him when out of the blue, he just started laughing, "It's ok! Just don't do it again!" he said as he smiled. I was, and still am, confused about his characteristics and ways of thinking. But, nevertheless, I somehow looked up to him like an older brother. On our way out towards the exit he shouted, "see ya later!" and ran out of school. "See you tomorrow!" I shouted back. "Who's that?" my mom asked. "He's a new friend I made," I responded. "That's nice, come along now, let's go home..."