Chapter 11

Truth

"Hey man..."
"Yo!"
I wanted to ask him straight up, "Are you acting to protect us?" But what came out was, "I brought you a  present!"
"Awe, you didn't hav-"
"Merry Christmas!" I laid the big pack of homework from the school days he's gonna miss.
"Whew! That's a load off the shoulders"
"Dude, please show SOME mercy!" He said with a chuckle.
"Fine, how about I'll help with the obvious things?" I said laughing
Yari just stared at me with that I can't believe you did this to me look. It was too funny.

"Yari...are you, putting up a brave face for us?" I asked looking down. The room fell silent...I didn't know how to go about asking him about it...
"*sigh* when you have good friends like you and Bira, you don't want them to think you're broken..."
I couldn't meet eye to eye with him...I wasn't prepared for any answer he gave me..."So you act brave and smile for them and make them smile..." he continued

"Yari...when we first met, did you think that...we would have stayed as friends if you appeared not broken? Cause, I was never good at making friends in the first place...and ever since you walked into my life it was as if the light was finally shinning on my life! You made it shine man! And if you have to be someone else for that to happen, if- if someone has to suffer for the better of me?! Then I want nothing to do with it!" It felt wrong to yell at him when he was crippled...but, I wanted the real Yari..."*sniff and if you think I'm gonna leave here without-"

"Man...my mom is dead...my father is in prison...I'm getting a lecture from a guy I met in the beginning of this year who wants me to show my true self, and a girl who is in love with the wrong guy. Why should I show you the real me, when you don't even know the first thing of what I'm going through!?" I looked up and saw the tears on his face. I felt a cold breeze enter the room...

"Ok fine! If that's the game we're playing, then my father never came back and left my mom to work not one but two jobs! I barely get time alone with her! She comes home, we eat dinner, and then she leaves for her second job!" I yelled
"My mom was beaten up by my father before she died!"
"At least she's in a better place now!"
"At least your dad isn't in jail!"
"I don't know where he is! I have no memory of his face! The only thing I remember is my mom yelling and me answering calls with a deep voice telling to put my mom on the phone!"
"Well my dad threatened to kill me and my mom is we called the police!"
"At least you-"

"STOP! Stop it will you?! Both of you apologize right now!"
"Bira..." Yari said a little fazed...
"How long were you there for?" I asked wiping away my tears. She just stood there glaring at the both of us as best she could without crying.

I turned to face Yari and said, "...sorry man..."
"We cool?" He asked as he held out his fist
"Cool" and I pounded it with mine.

"You guys are a bunch of idiots..." she said with a teary voice.
"At least we're your idiots!" Yari said laughing
We laughed and said jokes and before I knew it, my mom came to pick me up. We offered to take Bira home but she said that her mom was on her way.