Chapter 15

The last day

On the day Yari would have that serious talk with Bira he asked that he'd walk to school alone. I agreed and decided to show up fashionably late *wink wink*. That whole day, Yari spent trying to understand what was wrong with Bira. I decided to not go to the creek that day and wait til Yari got home to discuss any further planning.

It was about 10pm. when Yari finally came home. I rushed to the entrance and the look on his face was devastating. "Hey man how'd it go?" I asked but he only looked at me with that shocked but saddened  expression. He he flopped on his bed and said, "Bira is...leaving the town..."
"...what...you're kidding right?" I said "she can't leave us"
"Her family is moving to a new town and therefore she's transferring to a new school...so she said." Yari explained.
"But why now?! We only have one more year til we graduate into high school!" I said getting teary-eyed.

"I don't know! She didn't want us to know until the day she left so that way we wouldn't have to worry about her."
"Did you ask her about the handprint on her cheek?" I asked
"Yah..."
"What did she say?"
"She tried to argue with her mother and she got slapped..."
"She tried to get out of going right?"
Yari nodded...

"Dam..." I cursed "what are we gonna do now?"
"I...I don't know" he said frustrated. I flopped down on my bed as well and slammed my fist on the mattress.

"Do you know when she's leaving?"
"In three days"

The room fell quiet and my eyes began to droop. 'Why her of all people?' I thought to myself... "what did we do to deserve this?"
"It's going to be dull without her around" Yari said
"Then let's give her a day that she'll never forget!" I said "We can put up balloons in the trees! Bake her a cake! We can even take a picture with a camera! But most of all we get a canvas and paint and put our hand prints on it! We can promise to never forget each other!"
"That's, actually not a bad idea" Yari said surprised
"So it's decided, we'll give her a day to remember!"
"Yup" Yari agreed.

That night I couldn't get a wink of sleep. My mind was constantly coming up with ideas on how to make her day the best day. It was the one thing on my mind...