The date

Christeen...

I walked with Carlos down towards the tourney field where we let Dude off his leash so he could run around. For six in the evening, it was still quite warm outside. The sun was slowly setting, and there weren't many people out at this time. 

"So...hi," Carlos broke the silence awkwardly. I chuckled and looked up at him. We were walking next to each other our hands brushing against one another from time to time. 

"Hey," I said back, biting back a laugh. 

"It would be maybe nice to know something about each other..." Carlos started. 

"What do you wanna know?" I asked, looking around. We walked into the forest where we were originally hiding from Dude. 

"Don't know...something, anything about you will be interesting enough." I blushed at Carlos' attempted compliment. 

"Oh um well, as you know I grew up in Wonderland. It's not sunshine and lollipops there. Mad people can be really terrifying. And everything can get easily annoying. Especially the flowers. There are either painted red roses or never shutting herbs that simply get on your nerves with their high pitchers. Not a single pure white rose in sight because that would be too ordinary." I sighed. 

"You like white roses?" Carlos asked looking down at me with a smile. 

"Well, yeah. They are so pretty, they smell so nice and the color is just so pure and clean. In life as crazy as mine, it brings some sense of calmness and steadiness. It's weird, I know." I turned away embarrassed by my dreamy attitude. That is also kind of new. 

"No, no, no, quite the opposite actually. I find it really nice seeing this side of you," Carlos said glancing down at my hand. I looked down too to see his hand take mine. Instant heat spread through my whole body at the contact. 

"What about you then?" I asked. I didn't see the rock that got in front of my foot and I tripped over it letting out a panicked yelp. I was sure I would hit the ground when I felt someone's hands around my waist steadying me. Allowing my eyes to open, I saw Carlos looking at me a bit panicked but he was trying to mask it by a soft smile. 

"Don't worry I got ya," He assured me, pulling me back into a standing position. "You okay?" He asked, hands still around my waist. 

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Thanks for the save." He just smiled and grabbed my hand again as we started walking. 

"We are almost there," He informed me, his eyes trained forward, watching Dude carry a stick in his mouth. 

"You never answered my question." 

"Um...life at the Isle is hard. Not the cleanest, not the healthiest. The food there is usually rotten that's why there are often fights for it. There surely isn't any chocolate," He laughed at the end of his sentence. Seems like someone likes chocolate. 

"Chocolate is amazing, I can't believe that until now I didn't know what it tasted like," I said all excited. 

"Right?" The happiness in both of our voices was hard to miss out. Strange how a simple mention of chocolate can make us both happy. 

We were walking through the forest, the sun still hasn't set completely which was good because otherwise, I would be faceplanting a lot more often. I have no clue where Carlos is leading me but I am just blindly following. Along the way, we talked some more. I opened up to him, which is something I never did with anyone. For the first time, I felt safe and confident with someone. It was so strange. Carlos also opened up to me. Told me all about his hard childhood. Before we got towards the end of the path I think we knew more about each other than our friends ever did.