At the club

"You what? Honey, you can't be serious!"Sarah exclaimed on the phone when I told her the whole story.

"I am. I couldn't be any more serious. I have my pride and I defended it. I don't see anything shameful about it."

"Angela, there's nothing wrong about pride. I'm just saying maybe you overreacted."

"I didn't!" I exclaimed. "They were clearly trying to humiliate me and-"

"-and you fell into their trap, honey." Sarah cut me off. "They tried to get a reaction out of you and they got it easily."

"So what? I should've ignored them? I've been facing bullies all my life. I know ignoring them only makes it worse."

"I know; that's not what I'm saying. What you don't know is that there might be a third option: give them the exact opposite of what they expect."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean accept the fact that some things make you blush and laugh at it with them."

"I don't blush! Nothing makes me blush."

I heard Sarah sigh.

"Fine. Then show them that it doesn't. Go even further and try to make them blush. If they aren't impressed, at least, it'll make them shut up about you being a prude."

"Yeah, I suppose you're right. I'll think about it next time I find myself in a situation like this."

"I'm sure you will." Sarah sighed. "Anyway, let's forget about it, shall we? Mike suggested we go to the club tonight. What do you think?"

"Sure." I said. "I need to clear my mind. As long as your boyfriend doesn't take us to a place too far away, anything will do."

"Well, guess what. He heard there's a club that opened recently and, according to the internet, it's only a few streets from our district!"

"It is? Great, see you later then!"

"Are you kidding? We're coming right away! We need to find you something sexy to wear tonight!"

"Not again." I thought.

"Fine, see you soon." I said and hung off.

To find a nice outfit is a hard task for an overweight girl. To find a sexy outfit is an even harder task for an overweight girl. To find a sexy outfit to go to the club is almost impossible for an overweight girl. Sarah made me try everything: long red dress, grey shorts, black short dress, white shirt, blue shirt, pants, high-heels, stilettos, golden sandals… We finally agreed on a long-sleeved black shirt with a black skirt long to the knee and little black boots.

"Well, we can still find you something sexier than that but, since it's the only outfit you're comfortable with, I guess we'll go with that." Sarah concluded with a hint of disappointment.

"Thank you." I said, relieved. "Needless to say, you look smoking hot tonight, as usual." I said and looked at her from top to bottom with a smile.

She wore a pink mini-skirt with a white tank-top, black stilettos and glitters in her hair. Standing side to side in front of my mirror, we looked like a before and after picture.

"At least, let's put some glitter in your hair too!" she said and took out some powder from her purse and threw it in my face which made me blink and sneeze.

"Aw, so cute!" she said and laughed.

"So cute!" I imitated her and tried to take the powder from her hands. "It's too much! Give me that!"

"No way! Stop it! Mike, help!" she kept laughing and called her boyfriend who was waiting for us outside of my room.

After we fought and ended up like two shiny disco-balls, we finally headed together to the club.

"Here we are, girls." Mike said and pointed at the building ahead of us before we all stopped.

"Oh God, look at the line!" I said and showed the long queues in front of the night-club.

"It wasn't that popular the last time I went there." Mike said and gave us a sorry look.

"It's okay, sweetie." his girlfriend replied and kissed him on the lips. "We'll just wait. After all, it's only 11 pm."

And so we got in the line. The queue was so long we waited for thirty minutes before we were finally able to move a couple steps forward. However, as we slowly but surely progressed towards the entrance, I then noticed two familiar silhouettes in front of us.

"We've got a problem." I whispered to my best friend. "The twins are here."

In spite of my efforts to remain discreet, Sarah raised her head and took a long look at them. They were both chatting and smoking; neither of them seemed to have noticed us. When they entered into the club, I whispered in Sarah's ear:

"Do you mind if we go somewhere else? I don't want them to know that I'm here. I thik I'm gonna leave."

"You're serious? No way." Sarah instantly answered. "We've been waiting for half an hour. My feet hurt. I'm not gonna let them dictate me where to go, and neither will you. You stay with us and have fun, okay?"

"But what will I do if we meet face to face?" I asked.

"I'll be there, don't worry. Besides, remember what we said about bullies. If you beat them at their own game, they'll definitely leave you alone."

"Okay, sure." I muttered, barely convinced.

When we finally went in, I closed my eyes and suddenly felt like I was stuck on a rollercoaster.