What you see is not what you get

In the late afternoon, the twins accompanied me back home -just in case, they said. Paul had gone out to meet friends in town. I led them to my room so we could keep chatting when I heard knocking at the entrance door. I told them both to wait and went to the door. Sarah was there, alone and with teary eyes.

"Where have you been?" she asked. "I tried to call you all day."

I quickly checked my phone and saw she was right. I had so much fun with the twins I hadn't noticed any of her calls.

"What's wrong?" I asked and let her come in. "What happened?"

When I closed the door behind her, she turned and burst into tears.

"Mike and I broke up. He said he cheated on me with two other girls."

She leaned on me and held me in her arms, crying and shaking. I closed my eyes and hugged her too, which made her tighten her own embrace. We sat on the couch of the living-room and she started talking. I felt embarrassed for Bill and Tom who were still waiting for me in my room. However, there was no way I could ask Sarah to leave because I had company. She wasn't her usual self, so energetic and upbeat, and it broke my heart to see her like that. Although she was taller than me, she leaned on my shoulder, staring at the void.

"He said, he said he didn't know what the problem was. He said he never considered me his girlfriend at all, even though he said he did!" she insisted and I nodded, as shocked as her. "To him, we were just friends with benefits. And it was the same with the other girls. He told them that he was their boyfriend too."

"Bastard." I muttered.

"He used us. All this time, he dated me to show me to his friends like a fucking trophy!" she exclaimed and started sobbing again. "I mean, is this the kind of girl I seem to be? Is this all that boys see in me? Some brainless bimbo you can show around, have sex with, and nothing else? Am I that stupid?"

"No, you're not! How can you say something like that?" I replied. "The answer is no and you know it! You are not stupid and you are not a bimbo. Anyone who gets to know you a little better knows that you're much more than that. Don't ever let anyone tell you the contrary!"

"Then why did he let me go? Why didn't he see all that in me?" Sarah asked and wiped out a tear.

"Because he's an asshole, that's why." I said with certainty. "He's a moron who can't let go off his first impressions and refuses to realize that what you see is not always what you get. Sometimes, you get much more, if you're just willing to take the risk."

Sarah sniffed and calmed down a little.

"I love him." she said. "When I first met him, he looked already like the kind of guy who would do what he did to me. But I liked his bad boy attitude. And I still had hopes that he was something else, that it was all just for show. Look at me now." she said and hid her face in her hands. "I'm the only loser in the end. Forget it, I'm a stupid bitch, that's all."

"Oh for God's sake, cut the crap!" I shouted and took her hands in mine. "I cannot believe I'm hearing you say such things. You're so cool, and smart, and funny, and beautiful... You know, we both know I'm jealous of you because I think you're the most extraordinary girl I've ever seen. When I had nobody, you were always there for me. And I've always tried to know why, because I hated myself so much. You're like a human sunshine, always full of love and enthusiastic about anything. Even eating peanuts and watching TV when it's raining outside becomes an adventure with you!"

She laughed in her tears and I smiled.

"No matter what you say about yourself," I continued softly. "you are amazing and you deserve to be loved. And if it's not by this guy, it's gonna be the next one. And if it's not the next, then it'll be the one afterwards. You'll always find someone to love you because that's just who you are."

When I was done, Sarah grinned and took me in her arms.

"I guess you just reminded me why I'll always be with you."

"Good to know; because I don't intend to let you go anywhere either." I said and chuckled.

Just as we got up and said goodbyes, she suddenly saw Tom rush out of my room and met face to face with him.

"What the…? You didn't tell me they were here!" Sarah said and smiled at him. "Hi, guys! What's up?"

"Nice to see you too." Tom replied, embarrassed. "Sorry, we tried as best as we could not to listen."

"Oh. Well, it's fine." Sarah and pretended to brush it off like it was nothing. "Angela's right. He was just an asshole. Better be alone than in bad company, right?"

"That's right." Tom told her with a smile. "I guess we'll be going. The guys tried to call us. We didn't tell them we were going to your place tonight. I'll just call them back and then we'll leave." he said and went out.

"Where's Bill?" I asked.

"He's still in there." his brother said and pointed at my room. "I think he lost something or something like that." he added and giggled as he went out.

Sarah and I looked at each other, puzzled.

"I'll be going too." Sarah said. "It's getting late. I'm sorry I kept you all for myself for so long."

"It's okay." I reassured her. "You needed that."

"You're right. Thanks again. See you tomorrow, maybe?"

"Yeah, see you tomorrow."

She left and I went to my room to see what Bill was doing. I saw him lift the mattress of my bed with both hands above his head and blinked.