Hot and blurry

As I barely stepped on the dance-floor, all my five senses were immediately saturated: the beat was loud enough to make my whole body pulsate with the rhythm; multicolor lights were flashing in my eyes, almost blinding me; the crowd was surrounding us and people kept bumping into me, spreading their intense smell of sweat and cheap deodorant and my tongue was so dry it tasted like sand.

Mike, Sarah and I found a spot in the middle of the dance-floor and started dancing. The tune was good enough and even though I kept looking left and right just in case, I soon forgot about what was going on and made one with the crowd, shaking my hips in rhythm and having fun with my friends.

"That's it, girl!" Sarah screamed at me through the loud music, grinning.

Mike seemed to have a good time too, dancing and watching his girlfriend's sexy moves for him. However, that didn't prevent him from watching the other girls too, which annoyed Sarah a lot.

"Does he do that often?" I shouted at Sarah and pointed at Mike who smiled at one of the girls.

"Pretty much. It's a little annoying, I know." she admitted. "But he's my man, that's the way he is, so I don't mind!" she answered.

However, as we kept dancing, I suddenly turned my head realized Bill and Tom were a few meters behind me. Neither of them had noticed me and I made a gesture at Sarah with a worry look. When she noticed them, she looked at Mike, then winked at me and asked me to follow her.

"Hey, guys! Long time no see!" she said and got closer to them.

"Sarah! Hi, what's up?" Tom asked as he recognized her.

When I faced Bill, we barely said a word and I stared at him coldly.

"Does it still hurt?" I asked, pointing at his cheek.

"Not anymore." he replied neutrally.

"Ok."

That was it. Although I wouldn't show it, I was a little reassured to hear him say he was okay.

"How are you?" Tom asked Sarah.

"Just hanging around with Angela and my boyfriend." she replied as soon as he followed her.

"Hi." Mike simply said and shook hands with Tom.

"Hi." Tom replied.

Needless to say, he looked a little disappointed, for some reason. However, he and Mike scowled at each other with a smile. For a second, the tension was almost visible between them.

Nonetheless, the music changed and the five of us soon started to dance again. I didn't know the song but I couldn't wait for it to make me forget about who I was again. As I stayed close to Sarah, I couldn't help glancing at Bill dancing from time to time. I guess I stared at him for too long at some point because he suddenly turned his head and looked back at me. When I looked for Sarah and Mike, they were both gone. I saw the twins smile at each other and saw Bill come closer to me. Alone in the crowd, I let him approach me until we ended up face to face and I felt his eyes on me, towering over me, before he leaned his head closer.

"You look really hot tonight." he said softly in my ear. "It makes me want to enjoy myself with you even more."

I kept my head down, trying hard not to blush. We were so close now I could smell his perfume on his neck. Furthermore, each time I would step back, he would take a step forward until I finally gave up and made my way through the crowd towards the bar as I heard Tom laugh. That's where I found Sarah and her boyfriend, drinking and laughing like the happy couple they were.

"I can't." I said and as I stood at the counter next to Sarah, discouraged.

"Why not? What happened?" she asked me, now sounding a little tipsy.