Piggy

In the night, I walked down the empty street, sobbing freely. I was exhausted and my vision was getting blurrier. I clenched on the keys in my purse; I couldn't wait to get back home and curl up in my bed. The sky above my head was clear and the moon and stars were shining brightly. I could see my large shadow stand out against the light sidewalk. However, I felt disturbed when I saw a second shadow behind me.

When I looked back, I saw a man in a hoodie walk behind me. However, he turned left on a crossroad and disappeared. When I found myself alone again, I kept going my way, walking a little faster than before. A few minutes later, the shadow came back and I saw the man in the hoodie out of the corner of my eye. I was definitely being followed. On the other hand, I knew that if I started running, things would get much worse. My brother's building was only dozens of meters away. Once I reached it, I would be safe for sure. Or so I thought. When I finally reached the main entrance and inserted the key in the door lock, I was abruptly pulled back and pinned on the wall. The man was now facing me with his hoodie on so I couldn't see his face, his grip tight on my shoulders. Without a word, he looked down on my ripped skirt. I felt a cold sweat drip on my temples. He then slipped his hand in the slit and I screamed, struggling:

"Let me go!"

His hand was cold and rough on my thigh. Plus he was so strong I could barely make him flinch when I pushed him with all my strength. When I tried to scream again, he punched me in the stomach so hard it knocked the wind out of me. He then put his hand on my mouth, using all his weight to press me against the wall.

"Hold still, piggy." I heard him whisper in a hoarse voice.

I felt his hand go higher on my thigh, crawling on my skin like a spider, and reach for my panties. For the first time in my life, I felt totally helpless, like a fortress seconds from being invaded. Hoping this was all just a nightmare, I let out muffled cries and he shushed me.

"Don't tell me you didn't look for it, dressed like that." he said with a smile in his voice.

Reaching for the keys in my pockets, I took it out and stabbed him in the arm with one of them –which did not even pierce the cloth of his sweater- and he let go of me, screaming.

"You fucking bitch!" he shouted in pain and lunged at me again.

I closed my eyes, ready to get punched, when I felt a hand grab my arm and throw me inside the building.

"Stay away from my sister!" Paul suddenly shouted and punched him in the face.

The man suddenly turned back and ran away. My skirt was now completely torn apart and I felt totally naked. When we went back to our apartment, since I was still shaking like a leaf, I let my big brother wrap me in a blanket and hug me like this. Something was broken in me and I couldn't let anything but the blanket in direct contact with my skin. The rest of the evening felt like a movie: although I could answer questions I was asked by Paul and later by the police, it's like I wasn't there. My mind was stuck on repeat and everything reached me like through a thick fog. The feeling was so powerful it lasted all night long, making me stay in bed with my eyes open under the covers for what seemed like an eternity.